1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Italy: Brainstorming

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by cmakk1012, Oct 5, 2018.

1. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

After having visited Italy more than once and coming to appreciate its incredible history, I’ve had an idea for an RFC modmod centered on medieval Italy. That’s right, an entire map on just one small section of Europe—not just the peninsula and nearby islands, I’d likely include Austria proper, southeastern France, the Adriatic coast, and possibly the Balears as well. I feel that this would allow a level of depth and accuracy uncommon in wider-ranging RFC mods.

Given that I would really want the focus to be on the medieval era and on a diverse start I’d have the start date be roughly 1000 AD, which gives a diverse start both nation-wise and religiously. The Emirate of Sicily and Byzantine Empire still possess territory in the south but would very quickly come under attack from the Normans, there are a whole bunch of merchant republics (vying for coastal cities and influence abroad), and an interesting mix of Lombard petty states. Later spawns would be complex, often coming at the collapse of larger states, and could happen more than once—local autonomy is the default in this time period. In the late game Austria and France would become existential threats fighting over northern Italy—I’d suggest an end date around 1600.

One big way gameplay would change in this mod would be the raising of armies—if at all possible, I’d prefer it to involve a simulation of raising armies as levies as opposed to keeping a professional force, which I’d do by making armies cheap to build in hammers but vastly expensive to maintain for long. Mercenaries would only be available to the wealthiest nations.

I know that the development of this modmod is certainly never going to happen, not least because I know nothing about coding, but I wanted to put my thought out there at least.

Publicola likes this.
  2. Baron03

Baron03 Baron

I would love for this to be an RFC Mod, or even a Sengoku styled mod! I've given it some thought, but I do not have the modding capabilities to create it. The past few years I have thought about it as a Sengoku style mod, but only from central Italy to the Alps. All in all I think it would be a great mod, no matter the exact boundaries.

Map size and timeline would be the first things on my mind. Starting in 1000, ending in 1500 seems like a good idea. One year per turn ranging from emerging communes of central and northern Italy (receding Byzantines and fractious states in the south) to centralized regional powers on the eve of the Italian Wars.

Another thing to look at, with so many city-states and all, would be where to cap the amount of players. The absolute limit is 65 I think. Including southern Italy also runs the possible risk of domination victories, not to mention a very powerful civ early on.

Cities/States
    Spoiler :

Major Civs/Cities - North 18
    Venice
    Milan
    Papal States
    Florence
    Genoa
    Pisa
    Aquileia
    Siena
    Savoy
    Padua
    Verona
    Lucca
    Mantua
    Ancona
    Ferrara
    Tyrol
    Brescia
    Bologna

Major Civs/Cities - South 7
    Byzantines
    Lombards/Normans
    Emirate of Sicily
    Naples
    Benevento
    Amalfi
    Capua?

Minor Civs/Cities - North 19
    Parma
    Vicenza
    Trieste
    Montepulciano
    Volterra
    Modena/Reggio
    Ragusa
    Cremona
    Crema
    Saluzzo
    Asti
    Tortona
    Ravenna
    Livorno
    Brixen
    Treviso
    Alessandria
    Montferrato
    Como

Minor or Major Cities - Mezzogiorno 19
    Faenza
    Forli
    Rimini
    Urbino
    Perugia
    Bevagna
    Montefalco
    Viterbo
    Camerino
    Massa Marittima
    Pitigliano
    Gubbio
    Assisi
    Bobbio
    Piombino
    Fabriano
    Spoleto
    Arezzo
    Cortona

Guelph/Ghibelline conflict will be fun to implement. I imagine the numerous powerful families being useful for random events. There could be diplomatic options akin to the Sengoku mod where smaller states can "freely" move in and out of larger states' orbits as vassals. Revolts, alliances, and the like too.

Civics: being government, economy, power, etc.
    Spoiler :

Commune
    Signoria
    Republic
    Marquisate? Or something for Southern Italy.
    Bishopric

Decentralized
    Manorialism
    Patronage
    Free peasantry
    Mercantilism

Clergy
    Military
    Merchants/Bankers
    Nobility
    Burghese

Movements/Religious Orders: good for random events.
    Spoiler :

Pataria
    Catharism
    Peace and Truce of God
    Carthusian Order
    Clinical
    Fraticelli
    Apostolics
    Vallumbosans

Religious orders:
    Cistercians
    Dominicans
    Franciscans
    Order of St. Benedict

Extra buildings: there's plenty to add, but these struck me first...
    Rocca
    Castello
    Tower houses
    Piazza
    Jewish quarter

cmakk1012 likes this.
  3. EdmundIronside

EdmundIronside Chieftain

Finally we could have all those Italian City States that Leoreth wont let us have in DOC!

4. PinkPallin

PinkPallin Chieftain Supporter

Some time ago I was thinking of making a RFC Europe modmod, with a larger Northern Italy in order to let the Langobards try an Italian Kingdom, and later on the Duchy of Milan struggling with Florence, Venice and Genua eventually leading to French and Spanish invasion.

Now, some thoughts about your idea:
    1. ENGINE
      Not to get mad with programming, you can choose to use SoI or RCF Europe engine. As far as I remember, both already have explanations about adding/changing civilizations. The main issue would be changing the map.
    2. MAP
      Ought to include HRE, France, Spain and part of the Ottoman Empire, larger and mightier than Italian signorias.
    3. TIME SPAN
      I'd suggest a 568 AD nearby start (Langobards invading Italy) and a 1861 end (birth of the modern Kingdom of Italy), just like RFCE timeline.
    That's all, at the moment.