RFC on the GEM map?

Just in case anyone is still interested, here's the GEM layout partially-done in Excel. In the terrain, everything except the location of forests, jungles and flood plains are completely done. I haven't indicated the location of any resource however.

Some issues I have with this map, however, are:

1. Exaggerated representations of Chesapeake Bay and Long Island Sound
  2. Excessive proximity of Australia and New Zealand to Indonesia
  3. Improper rendering of Gibraltar (although the other Pillar of Hercules is represented in the map)

After we decide how to fix these issues, we can move on and start making the city name maps.

How do I view that?

I do not have Excel.

By Excel, you mean Microsoft Excel?

I have uploaded snapshots of the areas in question instead, since we're not yet starting to make the City Name Manager file. A spreadsheet program like Microsoft Excel would be critical on designating city names for each and every land tile of the map.

Spoiler North America, with the Delmarva-Long Island area highlighted :

Spoiler Australia, with the part bordering Indonesia highlighted :

Spoiler The Mediterranean basin, with the Strait of Gibraltar highlighted :

We'd have to only use the English names, though, because translating them would be a bit much. Could we just use a random name generator for cities in regions without any real-life corresponding city?

RFC already does that. I remember seeing Dutch cities that are named "Den Haag", etc. when they settle outside their normal area.

I'll handle the translation of the place names. Although most cities don't need renaming when they pass from one civ to another, there will be cases that would require them. I don't want to see Britain holding on to New Amsterdam when it's supposed to be renamed into New York, for example.

RFC already does that. I remember seeing Dutch cities that are named "Den Haag", etc. when they settle outside their normal area.

I'll handle the translation of the place names. Although most cities don't need renaming when they pass from one civ to another, there will be cases that would require them. I don't want to see Britain holding on to New Amsterdam when it's supposed to be renamed into New York, for example.

Wait, we're actually doing this? I'm no modder. Who's helping?

Can that map be use in-game alredy? Also, maybe extending the southern end of the map by 1 tile could save Gibraltar and Indonesia.

Can that map be use in-game alredy? Also, maybe extending the southern end of the map by 1 tile could save Gibraltar and Indonesia.

Not yet. And adding more tiles to this map is not advisable, since some computers can't handle maps as large as this one.

Here's what I ended up doing:

I moved Morocco, Canary Islands, and Madeira one tile southwards at the expense of a strip of desert, then added a hill/plain tile to represent Gibraltar.

Spoiler :

Then, I moved Australia one tile southwards as well and moved New Guinea, New Zealand, and much of Oceania one tile eastwards to get rid of the ugly sight that are ocean tiles right next to a coast tile, both of which are adjacent to a land tile. Importing the Cape feature from DoC would be the way to prevent premature access.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom