River or mountain?

direblade99

Warlord
Just rolled a godlike start, was wondering whether it would be better to settle where I am, or next to the mountain (I'm thinking above the silver to the north)

Spoiler :

settle to the left of warrior, you can buy cow tie asp and city cite will have good food and good production. Going top will leave you with no food.

Going between the silver and the cow is a good option.

You get cow and silver in first ring, are on desert and have a mountain. Flood plains are also in range. It also frees up the silver hills which are desert for the Petra bonus.
You'd start on flat which is not ideal but you will get a quick 2 pop to work the silver and when you get petra this silver desert hill will be incredibly good.

I would settle on top of the silver just to the north. You get your hill bonus plus the early gold bonus from the silver tile, you're next to the river, and you can buy the cows early, a tile you will need to grow during the early game.

Also, sadly the hills to the left are all plains. If they're all desert then this start will really be godly.

I'd settle on spot.

edit: And mountain over river is usually better, but not in a place like that, where there are only hills next to the mountains ...

In place is by far the best option. Getting the gold income from the silver, as soon as you research mining and have met another civ you can sell it for extra early gold generation since you wont need the happiness straight away.

If you settle by the mountain/cow you lose hillside, gold income from the silver, riverside, one of the silver resources as well as many flood plains (you obv want desert folklore pantheon here). There is no way that an observatory waaay down the line will compensate for all those losses.

I'd settle on the spot; but am a bit surprised your settler started on a resource tile.
In part, the mountain places listed by OP would delay founding 3 turns; which unless this is marathon is too many.

Also hill + river is really good.

unless you are Inca, walk downstream of the river for a few turns and see what you have... you have a natural buffer in the form of a mountain, so you can always expand there later without worrying about upsetting AI/getting that spot taken. Your start has almost no food resource tile except cow so you should look for some.

I'd settle on the spot; but am a bit surprised your settler started on a resource tile.
In part, the mountain places listed by OP would delay founding 3 turns; which unless this is marathon is too many.

Also hill + river is really good.

I didn't actually spawn there, it was one or two tiles to the right on the floodplains where I spawned and I moved.

I could tell you moved because your settler had zero move left. I would settle on flood plain just to right of where settler is now. That catches all tiles on the river.

I didn't actually spawn there, it was one or two tiles to the right on the floodplains where I spawned and I moved.

From there I would have just moved one tile west and founded the same turn since the silver hill doesn't appear worth a one turn delay. (I normally want something huge to be willing to wait one turn to found)

From there I would have just moved one tile west and founded the same turn since the silver hill doesn't appear worth a one turn delay. (I normally want something huge to be willing to wait one turn to found)

If founding across the river, on a mining lux is not good enough reason ... You are gonna work that tile till the end of the game, what can hardly be said about silver tiles in your borders.

Even if the place is not blocked by mountains completely, I seriously doubt you can expect any aggesion from the west of this city, so moving on the west side of the reason perfect ly makes sence, even if the silver was not there.

Using up one turn moving to secure +1 production and +2 gold for every turn the rest of the game as well as being able to instantly sell the silver upon researching mining is definitely worth it.

Using up one turn moving to secure +1 production and +2 gold for every turn the rest of the game as well as being able to instantly sell the silver upon researching mining is definitely worth it.

One problem with settling on a resource is that while you get the resource, you do not get the bonuses for improving the tile.

One problem with settling on a resource is that while you get the resource, you do not get the bonuses for improving the tile.

Indeed, I much rather settle on a hills that doesn't have resources than a mining resource. Mining luxury hill resource is going to be worked for all except the first 15 - 20 turns of the game. A no resource hill takes considerably longer until it will be worked.

Indeed, I much rather settle on a hills that doesn't have resources than a mining resource. Mining luxury hill resource is going to be worked for all except the first 15 - 20 turns of the game. A no resource hill takes considerably longer until it will be worked.

Seriously? If you have a lot of grassland on rivers, then maybe you will work one of these in the mid game, but here you have another two silver, how exactly are you going to work all of em, before your population hits critical mass, after the setller production is done?

If you could place academies on top of em, I'd agree, but you cannot, without removing the improvement. So the best way of handling mining resources, when you have enough production tiles is to actually settle on em ...

I don't understand the discussion really, it's a simple choice.
Going for peaceful vic (science/diplo/culture) settle between cow and silver, observatory is much better than the ability to build gardens, and the crappy watermill, and the +1 production. Also you get 3 food tile in your 1st ring, able to work 2 hills including silver for first settler, with decent food tiles otherwise

going for domination victory, settle in place, there is no real other place worth moving too if you are not going for the observatory, which you probably should not given that you are going for domination and the early production is better.

You do get the full gold amount, you even get the extra gold once you've built a mint in this case. The production loss would only occur if you've grown your city so big that there are no hills left to work which in this case would be 10-11 hills. This might happen late in the game at which point losing a hammer or two is fairly meaningless whereas at turn 1 or 2 when you settle that hill you increase your production from 4 to 5 which is an empire-wide increase of 25%.

Not to mention the fact that you can sell this luxury to the AI immediately, which again, is an immediate advantage that gets you gold for a worker/settler much earlier, which leads to further advantages.

Civ is a game of snowballing advantages into bigger advantages. Sacrificing a very small theoretical edge in the later game for a greater advantage immediately is almost always the better option.

From my personal experience, 95% of the losses on deity happen when you have a bad start and are unable to recover. If you are at roughly tech parity by the time you get access to observatories you don't really need them to win. If you have a tech lead at that point or going into the industrial era you might as well start a new game.

I would not even consider settling the mountain spot in this case.

Top Bottom