RSG5 Emperor 20K

:) I purposely did not post any pics with a coast in them. As this is C3C, I am sure the coast is very near in all of them. That's just the way my games go. That said, I really think putting the 20K city on the coast is a bad idea.

All of my pics are based on the Capital NOT being the 20K city. I still say make the second city our culture builder. I think you'll be glad you did. Especially seeing how we have to wait until Lit to take advantage of our tribe's trait of Scientific.

Of Raliuven's, I agree with CKS that #4 would be best. I'd move the Settler SW.

Of mine, I'd try #6 first, not only for the latitude on the minimap, but moving the Settler East 1 tile and sending the second city west looks really promising. Even if we put the second city on the hill. #7 would be a very close second. It may even have a better minimap placing than #6 and is not so mountainous. #4 would get third place, as we wouldn't have to move the Settler and it has a decent minimap location. Second city would probably go East.

Sure, bring Elephantium on. E is always on the boards. I value TO's recommendations highly, so whether he wants to come on full time or not, I hope he stays (I can't remember what he posted...).
I will watch for now, but you can make me a pinch hitter.
Hope you stay onboard, TO.

Ya know what? Elephantium can replace me. I just tried a test game as Korea on a standard map, emperor, 7 random tribes, all the settings of this game. I've got two tribes butted up against my core cities and I haven't finished a wonder yet. I'll go back to playing my self-made bics. Thanks a bunch anyway.

Aw, don't cut outta the game, Cyc. SGs play very differently than home games, and I think you'll have fun with it even if the game style differs quite a bit from your custom bics :)

Yeah, the more the merrier. I like to see different play styles and choices in SG's. You're among friends.

I'm a low pressure salesmen so I will respect your choice, but it would be great to have you stay in the game. We're just here to have fun. I like to win, but even if the game tanks it is still a learning lesson; nothing personal. We'll just start again!

I'll launch if we can get a final agreement on the start. Unless there is overwhelming response before this evening, I will review and take the best suggestions to heart and just decide. I'll take flack for a bad start but it will be a learning lesson (as mentioned above). ;)

Okay, Elephantium is in and I'll wait to see what Overseer says and, hopefullly, Cyc will stay in the game. I need to take a turn in RSG4 too, but I think I'll start the game and do some initial scouting so we can decide what to do. Is the typical start for 20k still to produce a few warriors while we wait for growth to push out our 2nd (20k) city?

Early builds depend on whether the capital is our 20k city. If it is, we want a couple of scouting units and probably a second Worker, then a Temple once we have the tech for it.

If our second city is the 20k city, we want 2-3 scouting units, then a Settler, then alternate between Warriors for MP and Workers for improving the 20k city.

Using Start 3 as an example, we'd settle the capital in place, build a Warrior, and move the Worker to the cow to irrigate.
On Turn 4, the watering would be done = 4 food per turn.
On Turn 5, the first Warrior would complete and start exploring.
On Turn 6, the city would hit size 2.
On Turn 8, the second Warrior would be done if we MM properly.
On Turn 11, the city would hit size 3.
On Turn 16, the city would grow to size 4 and build the Settler, dropping it back to size 2. At this point, we'd want to build a third Warrior and then a Worker.

lurker's comment:
Your #1 goal with city#2 for 20K is settle ASAP, preferably on a river. In my French game (still going) when I went to irrigate the wheat by the capitol I saw another wheat. I sent my first warrior that way, and confirmed a river site. City #2 was up WAY early. Palace pre-build got me the great library - city #2 is so much more flexible for 20K.

:) Nope. Sorry, I'm out. Playing on small maps is too irritating and frustrating for me.

LKendter knows what he's talking about. With your cattle either next to the capital or a space away, you should pump out a Settler first. Age old rule ~ if you haven't produced or started producing a unit with an offensive or defensive value, the AI will not be a problem. You can even place your second city next to a village, and when it pops, I will guarantee no Barbs. But if you start building a Warrior as soon as you push out the Settler, you are asking for trouble. That's why after you push out your Settler, you need to start building a Granary or Temple or Worker, or another Settler. Barracks or Palace work too. When your capital expands before the 1st Settler is completed, you'll be able to see the local terrain well enough to send your Settler to the right place. Even if you have to move the Settler to another tile other than the original planned, it's still quicker than waiting for scouts to scope out the region. Create that 2nd city immeadiately.

Good luck.

Cyc, I never knew that about barb behavior.
Do we need the MP happiness before we can build a settler?
I like the idea of scouting the area for a good site for wonder city.

Cyc, I never knew that about barb behavior.
Do we need the MP happiness before we can build a settler?
I like the idea of scouting the area for a good site for wonder city.

:) Well, now ya know. Before the capital gets to size 2, you will have to change the slider to 0/90/10 (or whatever makes your 1 citizen happy).

And I'm sure you guys will wind up scouting with Warriors first. That's fine. You're just delaying your 20K city.

With "City #2 ASAP!" in mind, we'd probably want a build order that looked like: Warrior, then Settler, then another Warrior.

As Start 3 has a nearby volcano, I will NOT go with that one. Start 4 seems preferred, so we are going with that one. If it tanks, I’ll fall on my keyboard. :D

We move the worker to the cow and nothing convinces me to move.

Found city in place.

Things have changed for the better. :D

Start Warrior. Start writing at minimum, 50t.

lurker's comment: That is a beautiful start.

At least go up the river to see the next site before deciding the 20K city.

So...will the capital be our 20k city? If so, shouldn't we research CB to be able to build an early Temple?

Hey, that was MY questions! :lol:

Seoul looks nice. Playing by myself I'd probably plan on making it the 20k city. Since we didn't settle on the coast, we can't sink shields into the colossus, so if we are thinking about doing 20k in the capital, I'd suggest CB first.

I thought we were leaning toward 20k elsewhere, and there is likely something reasonable up the river. If we want to check things out first, we can probably do writing first and hope to get CB in trade before we need it. If we do 20k in the 2nd town this won't delay us. If we build a settler before starting culture in a capital 20k bid, this will likely work out okay.

We need to research at max either way. Our beaker output will rise quickly.

We're pretty far north. With the second cow, depending on the land, settling the 20K city southwest on the coast could be good too. Going upstream might get into tundra. Alternatively, it'd be away from neighbors.

Lurker's comment:
Too bad you didn't move the Settler SW. Seoul will have 3 dud water tiles.

I would move the Worker onto the Mountain before I made any decisions.

lurker's comment:

If you are going 20K I would not do a minimum on writing.

You could max out on it or do CB/Mysticism/writing

Aslo for to have coastal tiles in your radius and to not be on the coast seems a bit bad for a 20K cities as you cant build coastal wonders and will have tiles when you are above 12 that will never be productive

Top Bottom