(RT) So how does city connections work with ocean cities?

I thought I heard they weren't connecting, or weren't connecting to land capitals even with coastal cities. Or that an ocean capital won't connect to land. It's because of (space Korea) that it matters because they have no reason to favor more ocean cities if land is good, but I'm wondering if I'm losing connection energy by having an aqua-capital.

This is second-hand rather than first experience here, but some players were having trouble getting the connections between aquatic and land-based cities. One player stated that he got the connection between them to work by driving an aquatic city right next to a coastal/land hex, then building a road inside the aquatic city and a road in the adjacent land-based hex to a single land city.

Voila, for him that created a connection between one land city and one aquatic city, and that was enough to trigger connections with every other city on land (including his capital inland further up the road) and every other water city.

I haven't tested this claim myself, though.

This is second-hand rather than first experience here, but some players were having trouble getting the connections between aquatic and land-based cities. One player stated that he got the connection between them to work by driving an aquatic city right next to a coastal/land hex, then building a road inside the aquatic city and a road in the adjacent land-based hex to a single land city.

Voila, for him that created a connection between one land city and one aquatic city, and that was enough to trigger connections with every other city on land (including his capital inland further up the road) and every other water city.

I haven't tested this claim myself, though.

It makes sense that aquatic cities would require rather extreme measures to get a connection with a landlocked capital. I always build a coastal capital. I will generate a new map if my starting location cannot be on the coast. My ideal starting hex is River Hill adjacent to the coast with no ice, snow, canyons or mountains within 3 tiles.

In my experience ocean cities do not get city connections unless you build a road in the hex they occupy. With a road in that tile they seem to connect in the same way as coastal cities, over any distance of water to another coastal city/ocean city with a road.

Moving the city breaks the connection, because the road gets left behind.

Ok, so even though building a road in the city hex gives them a trade connection icon on the map, it appears that your income from "trade connections to your capital" if you mouse over your energy income doesn't change.

In effect then, your aquatic cities are connected to your capital (assuming its next to water) and generating energy even if you don't have visible connection icons.

I'm not 100% sure of this and would like someone to double check for me.

I was completely wrong above. Pictures incoming with proof.

Aquatic cities need roads.

Situation:

Coastal capital with a road network to other cities. Blauwald has no road nor connection icon.

Spoiler :

What happens next: road finished on turn t112, icon shows up on t113 (but no change in connection income), then on t114 we get the energy (three extra pop added in the interim):

Spoiler :

So at least for a land based capital, aquatic cities do need those roads on the city tile. At least sometimes, see below.

Some fine testing that went into RT.

That's what we're doing now :p

I waited for the end of G&K before buying Civ 5; clearly I should have waited a little longer here as well. Strange game development these days, but, nearly all companies seem to follow the same "plan".

Edit: I took one more look and I think that only sometimes does the connection need a road. Maybe this has to do with moving cities? At this point I have no clear idea. There is a bug lurking in here somewhere.

Top Bottom