Runetime Error

I have XP and about the same amount of RAM as you. Can't play giant or gigantic maps but can play huge, at least until modern times when the MAF's start. My graphics settings are on high and 1280x1024. I don't see in this thread which version of RoM and which mods/addons you are trying this with. Could it be map script related? Are you using the 3GB switch - I'm not ;).

lol The reason why I switched over to Windows 7 Professional recently. I find it a LOT better than XP, surprisingly. And I have been using XP since 2001 (I even hated XP in the beginning). XP was very good for a really long time. Vista is total garbage, and Windows 7 is better than both of them, mostly.

Again, best idea is to ask Fireaxis, but then again, your original Civ4 might already be updated to 1.74.

Edit: As for XP not letting you play with it, I wouldn't have a clue as to why it would do that. Could always just try lowering your graphics settings.

Do you have „A New Dawn” modmod?

Some tests (latest versions ROM + AND), Win XP, all patches applied:

Loading time:
1. ROM – less than minute
2. ROM + AND – about 3 min

Stability:
1. ROM alone – working fine in all screen resolutions
2. ROM + AND:

1024x768 resolution: can play huge or gigantic maps, occassionally crash when initializing graphics
Generally: bigger resolution screen i used = smaller map without crash

Resolution bigger than 1024x768, huge or gigantic maps = 100% crash

I only have the main mod installed, all my games are patched to the latest version. I have the same problem in win xp, I cannot load gigantic maps, and huge maps crash after a time too. I've set all graphics, and the resolution to their lowest setting, I have a decent video card, but only 2gb RAM, I am guessing you need more than 3gb's+ to run this mod on a larger map size, huge or larger(especially in the later era's).

I've tried freeing up as much memory as I could, 1.5 gb free RAM, a 1gb card, and a 7 gb page file wasn't enough to play on huge, which is a shame as this mod was interesting. I can play on the largest maps in vanilla fine however. I also tried setting the program to win 2000 compatibility mode. The only odd thing is I have a 1gb card, so the fact graphical memory is the sticking point is bizarre, I would have thought it would be RAM.

Anyway, if anyone finds a solution to at least keep huge stable for xp users, by all means post it :). I'll check back now and again.

Hello Dooms1988 , excuse my scolaric english , I had the same problem when I'm in the game ( in Rise of Mankind mod ) it crash ; but if you go to the location where you installed the mod , in Privatemaps and then you open the map from there , it work .

I also had the dreaded ding of doom, running XP. I tried on a Huge map instead, and it works great, don't know about Giant, but Gigantic just won't work. Running at the lowest res possible (1024).

Does anyone know the fix for this, or is it simply a grpahics card issue, or maybe a map generation problem on super large sizes? I was creating a random map each time.

I also had the dreaded ding of doom, running XP. I tried on a Huge map instead, and it works great, don't know about Giant, but Gigantic just won't work. Running at the lowest res possible (1024).

Does anyone know the fix for this, or is it simply a grpahics card issue, or maybe a map generation problem on super large sizes? I was creating a random map each time.

They tell me to get a better computer with a 64 bit operating system. I play fine on huge as long as I save often and restart from a load every now and then.

Top Bottom