Running in Windowed Mode?

GenMarshall

High Elven ISB Capt & Ghost Agent
Night Haven, Vekta, United Systems of Korpulu
I am wondering if there is a way to play Rise of Nations on Windowed Mode. Its annoying to play on a widescreen laptop since everything gets streached.

Thanks.

Does changing "run" in the shortcut command (right clicking on icon and selecting properties) get it in a window? You can have normal window, minimised and maximised. Just wondering whether any of those will get it to run in a window.

Other than that, I put up with games being stretched. Got a 14" widescreen monitor myself and very few games run in proper widescreen mode. I'm starting to think things on non-widescreen monitors look squashed!:D

Does changing "run" in the shortcut command (right clicking on icon and selecting properties) get it in a window? You can have normal window, minimised and maximised. Just wondering whether any of those will get it to run in a window.
Well, I am wondering if there is a command to force it to run in windowed mode while placing it in the "run" shortcut properties.

I know there is one for SC4 and The Sims. However I am unsure for RoN and SW:EAW (Though EAW is widescreen compadible)

You could always try adding the same command into the shortcut line as for SC4 and the Sims, see if that works.

I always thought there was a box you could check to run RON in a window, but I might be thinking of a different game.

I have found the secret on how to make this game run in windows. Its all located in the rise2.ini file located in (For XP users):

C:\Documents and Settings\(YourName)\Application Data\Microsoft Games\Rise of Nations\rise2.ini

Here is detailed information on each of the settings. Often the settings are on/off types and these are represented witn 0=Off and 1=On.
Windowed Width=1280

The horizontal screen resolution that the game runs in. Rise of nations only supports certain fixed resolutions and not all of these are available to everones system. It depends on your graphics card, monitor and drivers. RoN does not support a resolution less that 1024 x 768, so don't even bother trying 800 x 600.
Windowed Height=1024

The horizontal screen resolution that the game runs in. Rise of nations only supports certain fixed resolutions and not all of these are available to everones system. It depends on your graphics card, monitor and drivers. RoN does not support a resolution less that 1024 x 768, so don't even bother trying 800 x 600.
FullScreen=1

By setting this to 0, RoN will run in a window on your system if your desktop resolution is higher than your in-game resolution.

Edit: IgnoreMinimizeOnTabOut=0

When you use Alt-Tab in game, you will switch to another Windows application, or the Desktop, and RoN will run minimised while you do this (it won't pause). Enabling this setting will prevent this.

More Information on the rise2.ini file

Top Bottom