[NFP] Sandstorm, but why is it here?

Lily_Lancer

Deity
Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 1.10.05 AM.png

The location of this sandstorm seems very weird. How can this happen?

Judging by the damaged mines to the west it probably came from there.
But what's the white stuff on those desert tiles? Is that standard on unmodded terrain?I've been using the civ 5 terrain mod.

Looks like tundra? But there is grasland and plains both north and south of it.

But what's the white stuff on those desert tiles? Is that standard on unmodded terrain?I've been using the civ 5 terrain mod.

Seems like tundra to me, I've never seen anything like it before. Probably due to a mod or something.

He is playing the broken 6 armed snowflake map.

Storms makes no distinction between land and water, which is why I stopped creating them with Soothsayers. I am surprised you have never seen this, seeing as 90% of storms end up like this on most maps.

It seems that 6-leaf snowflake doesn't follow the regular map generation rules, everything is pre-defined, and no ley lines or tribal villages.

May as well ask why here in San Antonio, we get weeks of Saharan dust every year... wind currents, mate. My guess is that you have a haboob there
Sandstorms in real life regularly extend over oceans, particularly from the Sahara. A few months ago there was one that was pretty significant over Central America and the southeastern US.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/06/saharan-dust-storms-giving-earth-life/613441/

This Saharan dust hits San Antonio yearly. The currents that create tropical storms/hurricanes come from the African coast... this past June/July were pretty bad for us.

Sandstorms in real life regularly extend over oceans, particularly from the Sahara. A few months ago there was one that was pretty significant over Central America and the southeastern US.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/06/saharan-dust-storms-giving-earth-life/613441/
The NASA website, Earth Observatory has quite a few images of storms of this kind in a few places in the world.
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/146871/dust-traverses-the-atlantic-ocean
That website has some really amazing images and is certainly worth a visit just to remind yourself of the raw power of nature : )

From my experience, all you need is 1 tile (might be more, dont quote me on this) of a certain biome to trigger those events and they travel quite far. So, if you have a desert tile in the middle of your plains, a sandstorm is bound to sweep a good portion of it sooner or later.

Top Bottom