Scenario League Wiki Missing Download Issues (With Fixes)

Of course. I am not anything other than impressed at what Blake is trying to do - It's just the manner in which he does it.
Also, there are better options. I suggested a new wiki, or use the vast server space we have here in CFC.

Both he seems unwilling to entertain.

There comes a time when we have to move on. The Poly wiki represents a bygone era. Like Poly itself.

I guess I just struggle to say no to people when it involves something I care about. And yeah preserving the legacy of the Civ2 scenario scene (for BOTH MGE & ToT not one over the other) is something I care about and I really like what you guys are doing here, but I'm sorry to say that doesn't mean I can go build a whole new site for you mate. I just don't have the time for that sorry, I just said your idea of a new site would be a 'great thing' and I could help a bit lol. So if there's no 'wiki gurus' here who wanna set something like that up for myself and others to put content in then let's not worry about it then! I'll go back to all my stuff and you back to your stuff and no one ends up disappointed lol! Also if I find more broken links on the old wiki I won't report them here (especially if they're MGE related) and annoy you any more, I promise lol!

A couple of things:

1. I'm glad you're helping preserve the legacy.
2. I note you have about 800+ more subscribers to your YouTube channel than mine.
3. If you're ever up for a zoom call or something like that to talk about Civ2, I'd be all about it. I'd just need to buy a webcam I guess. I've been here since pretty much the beginning (Insofar as anyone can say, "He knew Harlan Thompson" is like "He knew Frank Sinatra" lol). It'd be great to get some of the other old timers on a call like that and just talk the history of it all.
4. I'm willing to help save our resources, but I don't want to build a site that has actual downloads. I think the way to go is just to link to the download here at this site.
5. I have a website we can use, but it's not the greatest name for Civ2. It's cartoonpilot.com and I have absolutely no content on it yet. I do plan on getting someone on fiverr to make me a logo with a Corsair (flight sim) flying over a confused Dinosaur (dino game like The Isle) with an Egyptian pyramid (Civilization) in the background. Curt what are you charging these days?? :D
6. Regardless of if anyone wants to use this site of mine or build their own wiki, I'll be producing Civ2 content on it and eventually have a section devoted to it. It's consumed too much of my life not to, but no offense to anyone, I am not paying for a website that will attract a few hundred visitors per year when I can push to attract 1000's and have room for growth like my other website hence cartoonpilot vs. Civ2gamer or something like that.
7. Thanks for reading this big wall of text.

MGE has no meaning to me these days, despite what seems a new generation of gamer hipsters trying act like MGE...
I'm no hipster, no spammer either, and it still matters to me - and that's the only thing that actually counts, mister.

I admit that nowadays TOT surpasses MGE. But it's actually not the version or game I used to play. I gave TOT a chance back then and felt superduper-f**ked. The same happened to me before with Civ1 and CivNet. I'm a retro gamer and that means I enjoy playing exactly the same game I enjoyed playing when I was a teenager. Even if it is uneven, outdated and faulty or whatever you want to call it.

It's somewhat disrespectful to tell a retro gamer which version to stick to and if he doesn't to call him a spamming hipster. You can critise the game itself but not the user. And this is still a Civ2 forum, or isn't it?

I plan to finish one or two superold scenarios during the Easter Holidays which remained unfinished for more than a decade, maybe two. And I hope I won't get into any (un)friendly fire.

Last edited:
I'm no hipster, no spammer either, and it still matters to me - and that's the only thing that actually counts, mister.

I admit that nowadays TOT surpasses MGE. But it's actually not the version or game I used to play. I gave TOT a chance back then and felt superduper-f**ked. The same happened to me before with Civ1 and CivNet. I'm a retro gamer and that means I enjoy playing exactly the same game I enjoyed playing when I was a teenager. Even if it is uneven, outdated and faulty or whatever you want to call it.

It's somewhat disrespectful to tell a retro gamer which version to stick to and if he doesn't to call him a spamming hipster. You can critise the game itself but not the user. And this is still a Civ2 forum, or isn't it?

I plan to finish one or two superold scenarios during the Easter Holidays which remained unfinished for more than a decade, maybe two. And I hope I won't get into any (un)friendly fire.

You are projecting a lot of stuff here that has no bearing on the situation. I made an opinion which applies only to me.

I don't recall mentioning you. But it seems you have been summoned to do battle with we nasty old ToT meanies.
Forget about that. MGE is a classic. ToT is an evolution of said classic. No-one is saying otherwise.

So it's best to cool down, and move on.

Erm I can assure you I summoned no one. I did mention to Metro 2 days ago that I was "having more 'death to MGE fun' with Curt" haha so he's probably been watching you tear me a new one over the days since lol! To my surprise I've had a number of people contact me over the last few days to say that they were watching our conversation despite not posting here. No doubt we've been providing great entertainment for the lurking community *insert Michael Jackson popcorn meme here* lol.

Cooling off (stress is the only "stimulant" in my life these days thanks lol) is exactly what I decided to do yesterday instead of arguing with you as no good comes from that. I think there's just been one hell of a misunderstanding here that doesn't need to go any further and I realise now that my actions were the cause of it.

Like I said before, I fully support your idea of switching to a new wiki site! It's a great idea! :)

However organizing, planning and building a new site would no doubt take some time, so I only posted in those other places as I figured there was no harm in offering to fix the issues on the old site in the meantime (especially if content from the old wiki ends up being copied to a new wiki). I saw that other people here had recently done the same (without getting in any trouble) so I thought I'd join in their conversations too. In one thread I offered my services to McMonkey and in the other thread I merely offered some info/advice to Kasius who seem to be asking about the same stuff. If I had known that those 2 acts would upset you and make you think I was against your idea of moving to a new site I wouldn't have done them, or at least I would have worded them very differently to ensure that misunderstanding was avoided. I'm sorry I caused that as I can tell that was the moment the tone of this conversation completely changed.

Unfortunately our misunderstanding went to another level you nominated me to make the new site for you in the other thread. I'm sorry, I should have said that I greatly appreciated you bestowing such faith on me for an important job like that and thanked you for the recommendation, and then politely declined. However unfortunately I was having a bad day at work and was a bit taken back at the time because I'd already said in this thread before you made that post that I could only offer a bit of help to you guys here (in between all my other stuff) and that building a new site for you would be a way too bigger job for me! I felt like I was being dragged into a huge new site I never offered to make and could never deliver on. That resulted in me doubling down in my previous post about me being unable to do such a huge job and posting the "manifesto" of my other responsibilities which I can tell you REALLY enjoyed reading! :lol: That also had the unintentional effect of further fueling your belief that I'm against your idea of a new wiki site which once again I assure you I'm not.

As for my reporting broken links and posting fixes in this thread being described as spamming the SL. In the pinned SL thread McMonkey asks for help with fixing broken content from the move. I was just answering that call and just trying to help you guys here. If you don't want people doing that anymore then you should probably edit his posts to stop asking for help working on the old site. Plus like I said above IF a lot of the old wiki content is brought across into a new wiki then my fixes for missing files will still be relevant. For what it's worth I spoke with Solver who still has full Poly backups and he was able to locate the missing sound file for Blitzkrieg 1936 for me, I've updated my original post about it here with the file. I also messaged Thunderfall about the dead CFC links and he's always been able to bring them back to life in the past for me so hopefully means the last of the issues posted here should soon be resolved and all files rescued. @Prof. Garfield has kindly given me access to the old site now so I'll go try to fix the links there too and that really will be the end of all this stuff! :)

Oh and speaking of uploading files here I also notice there's a new misunderstanding brewing that I'm against using CFC file hosting so I should probably point out that at this stage I'm up to 32 uploads on my profile (1 mine + 31 rescues) and god knows many more lost file restorations I've posted directly on the forums. Thunderfall and Petek kindly set up large file ftp upload access for me a while back and according to that I've uploaded 3.05 Gigs of rescued content to CFC. So yeah I think it's safe to say I'm a big fan of using CFC file hosting haha.

A couple of things:

1. I'm glad you're helping preserve the legacy.
2. I note you have about 800+ more subscribers to your YouTube channel than mine.
3. If you're ever up for a zoom call or something like that to talk about Civ2, I'd be all about it. I'd just need to buy a webcam I guess. I've been here since pretty much the beginning (Insofar as anyone can say, "He knew Harlan Thompson" is like "He knew Frank Sinatra" lol). It'd be great to get some of the other old timers on a call like that and just talk the history of it all.
4. I'm willing to help save our resources, but I don't want to build a site that has actual downloads. I think the way to go is just to link to the download here at this site.
5. I have a website we can use, but it's not the greatest name for Civ2. It's cartoonpilot.com and I have absolutely no content on it yet. I do plan on getting someone on fiverr to make me a logo with a Corsair (flight sim) flying over a confused Dinosaur (dino game like The Isle) with an Egyptian pyramid (Civilization) in the background. Curt what are you charging these days?? :D
6. Regardless of if anyone wants to use this site of mine or build their own wiki, I'll be producing Civ2 content on it and eventually have a section devoted to it. It's consumed too much of my life not to, but no offense to anyone, I am not paying for a website that will attract a few hundred visitors per year when I can push to attract 1000's and have room for growth like my other website hence cartoonpilot vs. Civ2gamer or something like that.
7. Thanks for reading this big wall of text.

1. Thanks!
2. Ironically just a week ago I spent an hour watching a whole bunch of videos on your channel as Curt was giving one of his MGE sucks lectures :lol: and linked to a thread here with some of the awesome stuff you guys are doing with ToT. I saw your video and next thing I knew I was watching half your channel haha as those Over the Reich videos are insane! The strategic bombing, the day/night illusion, the moving cloud cover, the external destructible city buildings, the missile/range attack units & radar beams. It's a travesty that you don't have more subs and views (I can give you some tips on marketing your stuff out there to fix that if you want). When I do my big up and coming ToT tour video I'll be giving Over the Reich a big tribute that's for bloody sure. Great stuff! :)
3. I don't have zoom but I'm on a whole bunch of the Civ related Discord channels and number of them include voice channels so if you've got a mic then we could chat and you wouldn't need that webcam. CFC has it's own discord however it's rather dead. The 'We play Civ' discord is quite active though as all the old timers from that site as well as Poly seem to hang out there and have been SUPER helpful to me with my rescues.
4-7. Yeah I agree that we wouldn't want to do hosting on a new site (as yeah who'd wanna pay for that lol). Both Garfield and Curt have made the suggestion here and in the other main thread that using a free wiki site for the pages and CFC's file hosting for the downloads is the best way to go and I agree! But perhaps it's best if the new wiki site convo is moved back over into the main wiki thread where Prof Garfield has been posting about it there. I don't think Curt wants this thread to keep going for much longer lol.

Last edited:
Folks, it's time to move on. This has become a tempest in a teapot. If there is a desire to set up a new Scenario League wiki, then it should be a decision of the community as a whole. Personally, I'm happy with what we have, but then I have access while others may not. As John Petroski has said, the main value of the current wiki is the Tips section, which I use almost every time I make a scenario. For those whose focus is preserving old MGE scenarios, more power to you. But that is not the purpose of Scenario League, and there are lots of tools to do that, including simply uploading them to the downloads section here on Civ Fan.

Great, than we're cool
I don't recall mentioning you.
Well, I was part of the funny Civ1mod crew, so I guess that hipster and spammer stuff referred to me as well and that hurt. Feels like not being accepted or welcomed any more, even though I'm actually really easy to get on with.

Calming down sounds cool. Please don't anybody feel embarrassed or enraged if I prefer doing my stuff the outdated way.

Top Bottom