Scenario making for beginners.

Yes!!!! :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:
It works...

The problem was with my old PSP 5.0.

I've just got PSP 7.0 :cooool:
Thanks for the help.

Shareware means: TRY and if you like it, pay it if you want to use it. ;)
If you don't like, don't need, please do not use it.

I tell you what i did:
1) i was looking for a gif editor to edit civ files.
2) i tried some freeware graphic editors but none was useful
3) i asked here for help
4) Somebody wrote about using PSP
5) I have got an old CD-ROM of shareware compilations with PSP 5
6) I installed it but it has not the feature i need
7) Somebody else said to use the latest release
8) I downloaded it
9) It works fine
10) I do not still use it, i've just realized that it works

The day i will decide to make some nice graphics for CIV i will register this copy of PSP if i use this copy of PSP.

This is the end of the story. Is it OK for you?

Hey please don't be offended, I did not want to attack you or someone else, I just wanted to know how this works, because I did not know. Thanks for the explanation and sorry for the missunderstanding.

I have been reading this page for about a year now and finally decided it is time to start posting (and uploading scenarios (soon)).
Noticed that this thread is kind of inactive and I am wondering if there are any good materials discussing how unit attack/defense/hitpoints/firepower work, what their usable limits are and different approaches to deciding how to assign them to units.

Why don't you check the list of resourses at the start of the thread... ;)

I did. Haven't found anything specific (maybe haven't looked hard enough?). All I have found (in these forums too) are obscure (to me) about low HP values meaning that chance plays more of a factor, and that one should not mess with different FP and HP values...
Which I can sort of understand, but I was wondering if there is somewhere where this is discussed in depth.

Ah, OK. If you dig thought the oldish posts on this form there should be a thread on 'everything you need to know about Civ2 combat' which sould be very usefull for you.

Originally posted by El Leon
Noticed that this thread is kind of inactive [...]

Ahem... This thread was actually supposed to be more of a reference thread. A place where you could find links to all sorts of scenario making guides etc. and not so much a place for discussion. If you have a question, post a new thread (not that it's much of a problem, though, but having this thread be clean and full of info, instead of the info spread out across lengthy discussions, would be nice).

quick Q:

is there any one large and single document that will tell me how to make a episode for civ2?

Spazzy,

There are a number of places that you can find supportive info for creating a "scenario" if that is what you mean...however as Mercator pointed this is a reference thread so post any specific questions you might have in a new thread. As far as an all encompassing document I'm answering "no" to the best of my knowledge although there are a number individual works that give details about a number subjects to get you started.

For everyone else, consider this: building a scenario can be as simple as taking your saved game and saving it as a scenario or recreating every piece of art, sound, music, and changing every .txt file possible into a certain theme. It depends on your objective; whether you want to make a quick strategy play or a masterpiece and how much time you want to spend doing it.

John

Just a question from a lowly beginner. This will sound dumb, but how do you create a scenario? I appologize if I am wasting space.

No you're not. I've noticed there are plenty of documents around for the advanced scenario makers, but hardly any (if any) for those who haven't a clue...

You can create a scenario using the Cheat menu. Start a game, open the cheat menu, add units, irrigation, cities (by creating a settler, selecting it and building a city like normal) etc. etc. with it. Preferably all in one turn to prevent the AI from doing anything you don't want it to.
Make sure you start as the white civ, then use the "reveal map" and "set human player" options to switch back and forth between civs.
Once everything's in place, pick the option, "save as scenario". Be sure to also keep a savegame. If you want to do any further editing, you must do it on the savegame rather than the scenario.

To play, simply start it as you would any other.

To edit graphics, rules and events, you'll either need the in-game scenario editors (there'd be a separate menu for that, activated when you turn on cheat mode, but not all Civ2 versions have this menu), or some text and image editor(s).

For starters, it's probably wisest to simply try out every single option of the Cheat menu and see what happens. As long as you don't touch the in-game editors (yet, and if you have them), or any of the game files, nothing can go wrong.

Thank you.
Also, I was wondering how you go about submitting your scenario to a website.

Write a readme file to accompany the scenario (containing a description, author information, and whatever else you think the player should know before he starts). Then use a program like WinZip to zip all the required files together. Find some nice Civ2 websites, find out whether they want scenarios, and if so how you can submit them.
Submit the zip file, and hope they actually put it up for download.

But before you go about sending in your scenario, you'd better read those documents that have been recommended earlier in this thread.

The required files would be the your_scenario.scn, also the your_scenario.txt (if you wrote an intro text), the readme, and any of the text or image files you changed. Those files could be rules.txt, events.txt, city.txt, game.txt, labels.txt, units.gif, title.gif, terrain1.gif, terrain2.gif, cities.gif, icons.gif and people.gif (I think that's all of the relevant ones).

Important note: if you do start fiddling around with those text/image files, make sure you don't overwrite the originals. If you have one of the add-ons (that is, a Civ2 version higher than 2.62) you can put scenarios in a separate folder, so you won't mix up all the files.

You can check your Civ2 version number as follows:
- Start a new game or load a saved game (whatever, as long as you have a game running),
- Open the "Game Options" from the Game menu.
- Your Civ2 version is the title of this game options window.

Hi People!!!!!!!!!
I need to know how to make those marvelous programs that install you the *.gif and rules.txt and so on... when you play a long and amazing scenario with lots of events. Those executable programs.
Bye from Mirkwood!

Upps!
Another Question: Is it possible to download a TOT entire program? I´m asking this ´cause here, in Spain TOT wasn´t sold. Or in fact it´s nearly impossible to find it!
Adios

Top Bottom