Science Goals

ravensfire

Member of the Opposition
Just in case Alphawolf doesn't return soon, let's talk about our research goals.

We have just entered the Industrial age ( :woohoo: ), and got Nationalism as our free tech ( :crazyeye: ). We have already research Steam Power, and work on the FNR has begun! We are but one turn away from Medicine.

So, where do we go next?

Options:
  • Communism (8 turns)
  • Fascism (8 turns)
  • Ironclads (6 turns)
  • Industrialization (8 turns)
  • Electricity (9 turns)
  • Sanitation (unknown)
  • Music Theory (Middle Ages) (4 turns)
  • Free Artistry (Middle Ages) (4 turns)
  • Economics (Middle Ages) (4 turns)
  • Navigation (Middle Ages) (4 turns)

Most of the other nations have Navigation, and there are some doable trades out there for it that won't unduly tie us down.

So, what are your thoughts?

-- Ravensfire

I'd like to go Sanitation for the Hospitals, Industrialization for the Factories then head on toward the Scientific Method and the usual slingshot there.

Our cities need something to produce, and the hospitals will let them continue to grow and grow. Toss in the factories, and we'll be sitting pretty to pick up ToE and then on to Hoovers. We can trade for the MA techs as the other civs pick them up, and out-build them on any wonders we think are useful.

Alternatively, we can quickly grab an MA tech that we want the wonder for immediately, then start on the main route. I'd love to see Shakespearse's Theatre in a high-food city like Besancon!

-- Ravensfire

Doh - completely missed that CG is our minister of T&T. Sorry, CG!

PM sent to request his presence here ...

-- Ravensfire

ravensfire said:
Doh - completely missed that CG is our minister of T&T. Sorry, CG!

PM sent to request his presence here ...

-- Ravensfire
*The mysterious wizard of Oz pops out of the curtin*

Did someone rang? ;)
Since we do have cities that have surplus foodstuff and they cannot go beyond the size cap of 12. Building hospitals is the only way to break this cap. Sanitation would have to be a solution for this and do aprove a track to aquire sanitation in order to build Hospitals.

Also, I did have to get my brain out of Civ4 mode because the tech tree is totaly different from Civ3 ;).

In looking in Civ3's tech tree. We can certanly make a direct research twards sanitation via medicine. Since we already have steam power. We can research industrialization after getting sanitation to gain access to build Factories and Coal plants (provided we have access to coal). But since coal plants create unnessicary soot (I know from using them in Civ3 and Simcity that they create nasty pollution). For our long term goal for alternative power is to research electrionics and build hydroplants in cities with rivers and other bodies of water.

Yes, we do have coal - we got it for Christmas!

The increased food from our farms following the introduction of rails will allow even the most food short cities like The Augean Stables to grow. With a limited number of cities we cannot afford them to be stunted, so we will need hospitals. We need to press on then for factories, the Theory of Evolution and 2 free techs that will be ours with its completion. We need to keep research high and power towards our next age and possibly the spaceship that will launch us to the stars!

Here are the possible tech paths that I plan to put up in the polls later today:

Path A: Industrialization -> (Hop to) Medicine -> Sanitation -> (Hop to) Nationalism -> Espionage
Path B: Medicine -> Sanitation -> (hop to) Industrialization -> (hop to) Nationalism ->Espionage
Path C: Industrialization -> (Hop to) Medicine -> Sanitation -> (Hop to) Electricity -> (hop to) Scientific Methoud -> Atomic Theory -> Electronics
Path D: Medicine -> Sanidation -> (Hop to) Industralization -> (hop to) Electricity -> Sci Methoud -> Atomic Theory -> Electronics

We have now reseached Medicine and are reseaching Sanititation. We have Nationalism as our free tech.

We therefore have the choice of

Electricity>Scientific Method

or

Industrialisation > Electricity > Scientific Method

after Scientific Method and ToE, what do we want as our free techs?

Do we want the traditional Atomic Theory and Electronics for the Hoover Dam? Or what about taking Industrialisation and Replaceable Parts.

there is also the possiblity of being able to research another tech between getting Scientific Method and building ToE. If that is not possible we should shut of research in between to save our gold. We don't want to get a half researched tech for free!

We now have only 4 turns left on Sanitation - we need to choose a tech path!

Our Wonder discussion thread indicates we want ToE and Hoover which means Electricity and Scientific Method. The choice is, do we go for Industrialisation first so that our cities have factories to go with this dam we are planning for.

So is it:

A. Sanitation (4) > Electricity (currently 18 turns) > Scientific Method

or

B Sanitation (4) > Industrialisation (currently 16 turns) > Electricity > Scientific Method

The turnchat is being played in only a few hours time, we need to make our mind up!

Personally I think I would go for Industrialisation first, with some prebuilds in key cities we could complete factories in the cities we want for ToE and Hoover, in the meantime our cities can complete their hospitals and build more units for the war.

Industry first!

-- Ravensfire

At the current rate, we'll research scientific method in 8 turns. We may be able to research something else before Theory of Evolution finishes (corporation would be my choice; replaceable parts would take too long), but I doubt it. Corporation and replaceable parts would be the two main choices after the completion of ToE (ironclads, espionage, communism, and fascism wouldn't be worth it IMO).

If we can research something after Scientific Method and before we can build ToE we should do so. Replaceable Parts if there is enough time, Corporation if there isn't, or if not enough time for either put research to 0% and set the path for our 2 free techs.

Sounds like a lot has happened, I haven't had a chance to look at the save yet!

We're only 8 turns away from getting Scientific Method, and will not have sufficient time to research another tech before we get ToE, possibly only one turn later on the 9th turn of the next session. This will give us our 2 free techs, Atomic Theory and Electronics, so we will be looking to start researching something else possibly as quickly 9 turns away.

Ignoring the optional techs, our choices boil down to:

Replaceable Parts = 9 turns
The Corporation = 6 turns

I prefer going for Replaceable parts first, then researching our way up the Corporation>Refining>Steel>Combustion path.

Top Bottom