[R&F] Science Victory, Rise and Fall

jgsb2001

Chieftain
Hello,
I just picked up Civ VI over Thanksgiving and I am enjoying it so far but I have a question about a science victory.

I am currently playing as America, Settler (I know, I'm still new to the systems), Standard speed, Continents. I am on turn 460, in second place in every category, including score (1100 its). France is leading (1400 pts).

I thought I was on my way to a science victory by launching the three Mars "expeditions" but when I launched the last one (Mars Hydroponics) I was taken to the "defeated" screen. What did I do wrong, or miss? Is the fact I that was 300 points behind France the issue, meaning I need to have the point lead as well?

I did do a quick google search but the results were all from 2016 and did not included Rise and Fall.

Thank you in advance for any advice. I have a save file so I can go back and reexamine my mistakes.

but when I launched the last one (Mars Hydroponics) I was taken to the "defeated" screen. What did I do wrong, or miss?
It sounds like one of 2 possibilities.
1. Someone else beat you to victory
2. A bug.
Load back to the turn before you won and go through the victory screens to see who else was very close. You need to keep an eye on the opposition.
If there is nothing or you just want someone to check, post your save from the turn before here and I’ll happily help.

Thank you for your reply Victoria.

It appears that France did win the Cultural Victory just as I was launching my last Mars mission on my last game. I went back and replayed the last 30 turns and won the science victory after making a three key changes. 1) I moved Pingala from Philly to New York (location of the last Mars mission) which aided in the speed of production. 2) Sent all trades to New York 3) I chopped a forest near New York for more production. Those three things shaved 5 turns off the production of the final Mars mission and led to victory.

Civ VI seems so different to me from V . . . a lot of little things I'm going to have to learn about (even though the changes above should have been obvious to me as a Civ player).

Thank you again, I really appreciate reading your posts.

Civ VI seems so different to me from V . . . a lot of little things I'm going to have to learn about
For me personally civ V was the first release with good graphics, it recognized a lot of people like a mixed tactical / strategic map with more than a large stack of units and it also had some good concepts. However where it lacked for me was in variation and complexity of choice. The way to play V was quite formulaic.

Now the way you play VI is also formulaic to a degree but so much more detailed as you well pointed out. Where it differs is that often the choice is not as clear cut as V and subtly differences like building a granary in that city (or not) can make some very noticeable differences. The science victory has so many facets, the end game planning in the mid game is the fun part, where shall I plan for my launch pads? How much money do I need, how do I place my governors, and so forth. Thank god we are not forced down the route of just piling up production and endlessly clicking next.

Top Bottom