[GS] screen resolution and bigger playing field

ask

Chieftain
hey, civ fanatics! whenever I play Civ 6, I often find myself wanting to zoom out more to be able to see a bigger area. the main reason is that every time the game moves to another unit/city/activity, the screen scrolls/jerks. over hours and hours of game play this adds a a lot to eye strain. I noticed that a big number of those screen moves/jerks is within just a few tiles left/right in my empire, so if I could zoom out a bit more to see more of my empire at once, I hope that would partially improve the situation.

I know there is "strategic view" , but that would be too much of a zoom out.

I saw couple zoom-related plugins in Steam Workshop (Free Cam or something like this), but there are comments claiming that those do not work for the current Civ6 game anymore.

so, here is my question - if zooming out is not "officially" supported, would it help my situation if I just bought a bigger screen with higher resolution? would Civ6 show MORE tiles on the playing field in this case, or would it just show bigger icons and still show the same amount of tiles on the screen ?

I use Tom Illar's Tactical Camera and it works perfectly fine.
thanks a lot, will try this mod.

do you also happen to know if higher resolution would give more visible tiles on the playing field by any chance? I mean I could lower resolution on my computer and compare, but... this won't be a good test because there is a big chance that number of tiles shown is maxed out at a certain resolution, so if I am going to buy a 38" monitor with a huge resolution then number of tiles can be maxed out at my current 27" 2560*1440px.

Last edited:
I have two displays, one with 1920x1200 resolution and the other has 2560x1440. There seems to be some scaling, with 18 hexes (measured at middle of display and camera zoomed out) horizontally with the former display and 20 with the latter. Don't know if the different aspect ratios make a difference.

Top Bottom