Screenshot of the Day #97: Poor Gweeto

I find it hard to have sympathy for an idiot who got caught while trying to damage them. You should see the advisor's face when your spy is captured...it will either freak you out or scare you. Check out the SOTDs, there's one screesnhot like that.

I'm really confused...what makes this screen shot so remarkable? Is it the advisors expression? Because that could just be a glitch.

...or am I missing something?

Originally posted by ssmith619
I'm really confused...what makes this screen shot so remarkable? Is it the advisors expression? Because that could just be a glitch.

Normally, the advisor doesn't give names of spies.

Originally posted by MTheil3508
Normally, the advisor doesn't give names of spies.

Actually, whenever a spy is caught after successfully sabotaging an enemy production task, he always does. I suppose nobody had noticed it before because it's a rare outcome (failure, or success and escape, are more likely).

Here is an extract from the script.txt file:

#ESPIONAGE_MISSION_SABOTAGE_PRODUCTION_SUCCESS_EXPOSED
#map_center 0
#advisor Foreign
We have successfully sabotaged $CITY0's production of $IMPROVEMENT1.
^Unfortunately, our agent (known only as 'Gweeto') was [caught in the act] and removed.
^$TITLE2 $LEADER3 is not pleased.

If he successfully sabotages and escapes, or if he fails and is captured, he remains anonymous.

Originally posted by ssmith619

It's getting harder and harder to post SOTDs because people have developed unrealistic expectations. ;) :D

While this Gweeto SOTD is not new to some players, it IS new to lots of players I think and they will find it interesting.

Who knows? Maybe some day I may post a Carrot IQ SOTD. ;) People who visit this forum often are familiar with it but lots of visitors who missed those discussions are not. Featuring a screenshot on the SOTD will allow new visitors to access it easily.

Gweeto...doesn't that just smack of a (voluntary) misspelling of Greedo, the alien bounty hunter who had an unfortunate meeting with Han at the start of Star Wars IV?

Gweeto is a real name.

Hey, TF. . . I love the SotDs. I say keep 'em comin'. Sure, we're up to almost 100, and maybe the ideas are a bit stale. Well, not stale. Commonplace, I guess, since, as you said, some(most) have developed unrealistic expectations. To me, the SotD isn't about things that are new or weird in Civ3/PTW, (and when it is new, it's nice) but more about how others play the game. I get a brief look into the other player's mind, and that makes my game just a little better.

Originally posted by Hygro
Gweeto is a real name.

Where?

Are you sure you're not thinking of Guido, which is certainly a real name (it was the first name of the English patriot/saboteur/hero/villain/whatever better known as Guy Fawkes). Never come across Gweeto, though....

Gweeto isn't that like a modified version of Greedo (or what it was...) from Star Wars? Or something...

You know, I was thinking of Guido... I guess Gweeto might be from a scifi thing, as firaxis seems to be the company of friendly nerd types. Also, it could be a name that could come from any nationality and still soud foreign... ambigious but fitting.

id tried doing a search on gweeto and didnt come up with anything interesring. does kinda sound like greedo or guido. dont know, seems like there is always an inside joke with these things so there must be more to it.

Guido is also a name of the spy that gets caught in a mission too, I forgot which espionage one. But I remember: Guido and Gweeto.

Hey Thunderfall, I submitted two-three SOTD-worthy material to you. Did you get it? I think that it is more worthy than "More Diplomacy"

OK, here's something else I don't understand: There's an Indian war elephant right above the cavalry there with only 3 hit points. How is that possible given that war elephants get a +1 hp bonus so that even a regular has 4 hps? You can't have conscript war elephants, can you?

In vanilla civ3 war elephants didn't get +1 hp. That was introduced with the conquests expansion :)

Top Bottom