Settlement question

Tortanick

Chieftain
This is a stratagy question for any more experieanced players than me:

With the Kurorites is there any disadvantge to building lots of settlements? apart from the settler cost and the need to defend them

I found that the maintenance cost for # of cities went up in my main cities, but his is going back a couple of weeks so I don't know if it still happens.

- Niilo

But it goes up in only 3 cities so it isn't really issue.
And if you have state religion spreading it to settlements brings lots of gold.
I defend them only with 1 division of archers to cut army costs, and it gives me time to prepare defenses in main cities

TheJopa said:
I defend them only with 1 division of archers to cut army costs, and it gives me time to prepare defenses in main cities
Have you never had problems with Shadows taking settlements?

- Niilo

Yea but then I quickly use cavalry to recapture them and kill shadows (for some reason AI doesn't raze often and even worse, it uses shadow to garrison)

vorshlumpf said:
Have you never had problems with Shadows taking settlements?

Hey, I know a great anti-shadow weapon : it's called a worker :)

You keep a worker in a city, the shadow attacks and captures it. Then when it's your turn, you go out, recapture the worker and go back in. And it starts all over again. Great way to keep the shadow occupied :)

Halancar said:
Hey, I know a great anti-shadow weapon : it's called a worker :)

You keep a worker in a city, the shadow attacks and captures it. Then when it's your turn, you go out, recapture the worker and go back in. And it starts all over again. Great way to keep the shadow occupied :)
this helps to protect your mages too, because they're moved down on the prefferred defender(up for marksmen) but workers have 0 combat...

Yeah, I know about the worker exploit. Did I already post that in the balance thread? . . . Hmm, I guess not - serves me right for spending so much time typing up my feedback.

I don't like to succumb to complaints, especially when they're off-topic, but I really don't like shadows.

- Niilo

vorshlumpf said:
Yeah, I know about the worker exploit. Did I already post that in the balance thread? . . . Hmm, I guess not - serves me right for spending so much time typing up my feedback.

I don't like to succumb to complaints, especially when they're off-topic, but I really don't like shadows.

- Niilo
shadows can be one of the most vicious units in the game, if used properly
plus the ai takes full advantage of it's invisiblity by raiding like it was calvalry but not so easily destroyable

yeah shadows and assassins could use a nerfing not so much assassins though more the shadows

eerr said:
shadows can be one of the most vicious units in the game, if used properly
plus the ai takes full advantage of it's invisiblity by raiding like it was calvalry but not so easily destroyable
I know how to use them. I just don't like invisible units. I think I've said it before: I didn't like spies in Vanilla Civ, and I didn't like spies in Civ III (in the mod I played), and I don't like Shadows.

It just detracts from my game when I have to protect every city and every stack from the possibility of attack from a shadow. Were they visible, though, I wouldn't complain, because if they killed a prized mage or took a lightly defended city, it would be my fault for not seeing them first.

- Niilo

Perhaps See Invisible (or some such) could be added as a promotion, probably requiring Visibility (Sentry? the permanent one) as an extra counter - otherwise you need your own Shadows etc.

For me, that doesn't do the trick, because, just as with the current counters to Shadows (other Shadows, Marksmen, Floating Eyes), I'd need to stockpile up on them just to prepare for the possibility of one or two shadows coming after me. Not fun.

I haven't had anyone agree with me, so I'm fully prepared to simply modify the code to take care of Shadows for myself.

- Niilo

I personally have never had a problem with shadows, but this is primarily because I normally kill off the AIs before they get a chance to use them. I definitely sympathize with your feelings about what you're describing, though. Invisible combat units that the AI can get and use against you probably aren't necessarily a good idea. However, if recon units could see them, I think it might be better. Also, making them visible (and attackable) the turn after they attack might also go a long way toward making it possible to counter them.

Chandrasekhar said:
I personally have never had a problem with shadows, but this is primarily because I normally kill off the AIs before they get a chance to use them. I definitely sympathize with your feelings about what you're describing, though. Invisible combat units that the AI can get and use against you probably aren't necessarily a good idea. However, if recon units could see them, I think it might be better. Also, making them visible (and attackable) the turn after they attack might also go a long way toward making it possible to counter them.

But the idea is that only invisable warfare units can kill invisable warfare units. Shadows kill shadows. That IS the idea. They represent spy networks and a guild of assassins and epically powerful subversive forces. To have beast masters, who are of the wild, not societal cities, be able to counter them, would seem to be jumping the shark.

Shadows are the kind of weapon that are countered by shadwos, assassins as well. Ive never run into huge shadow problems, because I BUILD shadows. Remember they're a national unit, so they cant be causeing TOO much of a rucus at any given time.
-Qes

QES said:
Ive never run into huge shadow problems, because I BUILD shadows. Remember they're a national unit, so they cant be causeing TOO much of a rucus at any given time.
I BUILD shadows, too. I have never successfully countered a Shadow with a Shadow.

To me, a single enemy shadow is enough to cause too much of a 'rucus'.

- Niilo

Giving sentry promotions to your shadows usually allows you to control a reasonably long border. Other units can do the dirty job afterwards.

EDIT: Shadows could get a sort of homeland promotion to show their advantage at home ground.

I typically play on the largest maps, so such things are not as effective as one might assume. However, this comes down to personal preference. No strategy will make me like invisible units such as Shadows and that's how it will remain. Like I said before, I assume I'm alone on this and I'm fine with that.

- Niilo

vorshlumpf said:
I BUILD shadows, too. I have never successfully countered a Shadow with a Shadow.

To me, a single enemy shadow is enough to cause too much of a 'rucus'.

- Niilo

Using a shadow exposes the other shadow, a normal unit can then "eliminate" him. Mages and conjurers are also good at it. Anything that "targets" the guy, or uses a blanket effect (over whole tile) is a fantastic way to mitigate the shadow. Honestly, except for an occasional raid by shadows, or mage-killings, ive never really had issues.
-Qes

Top Bottom