1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM 23 - Unallocated

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

We must keep in mind that we are competing with other teams more so than with the AIs. We can easily beat all the AIs; it is the other teams we must beat though to earn laurels.

2. Sun Tzu Wu

Turn 0112 -- 0075 BC:

Gandhi: his World Map + 10W for our World Map

Hatshepsut: his World Map + 60W for our World Map

Mao: his World Map + 50W for our World Map

Mehmed II: his World Map + 30W for our World Map

Frederick: Metal Casting + World Map +10W for Peace Treaty

Copper City completed a Settler.

Paris: GS

Bombay: GS

Istanbul: GSpy

3. Sun Tzu Wu

Turn 0113 -- 0050 BC:

GS bulbed 1629B of Education.

2nd GE bulbed remaining 1033B of Education.

We will complete Gunpowder in 12t!

4. Sun Tzu Wu

Uploaded game right after 2 GB bulb of Education (Only 12t to complete Gunpowder).

Here is your Session Turn Log from 75 BC to 50 BC:

Turn 112, 75 BC: Orleans can hurry Barracks for 2⇴ with 40ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 10 turns.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Berlin can hurry Granary for 2⇴ with 28ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 14 turns.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Munich will be pacified on the next turn.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Hatshepsut has 60 gold available for trade.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Mao Zedong has 50 gold available for trade.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Will Trade Map: Frederick, Gandhi, Hatshepsut, Mao Zedong, Mehmed II
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Munich will be pacified on the next turn.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Churchill has 80 gold available for trade.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Hatshepsut has 60 gold available for trade.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Mao Zedong has 50 gold available for trade.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Darius I refuses to talk.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Hatshepsut is the worst enemy of Kublai Khan, Joao II, Alexander.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Stalin is the worst enemy of Frederick, Churchill, Darius I, Gandhi.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Mao Zedong is the worst enemy of Hatshepsut.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Gandhi is the worst enemy of Mehmed II, Saladin, Mao Zedong.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Frederick is the worst enemy of Stalin.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Frederick will trade Metal Casting
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Churchill will trade Iron
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Gandhi will trade Crab
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Mao Zedong will trade Crab
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Will Trade Map: Frederick, Gandhi, Hatshepsut, Mao Zedong, Mehmed II
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Will Sign Peace Treaty: Frederick
    Turn 112, 75 BC: You have made peace with Frederick!
    Turn 112, 75 BC: You have discovered Metal Casting!
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Double Fish will grow to size 4 on the next turn.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Berlin will grow to size 6 on the next turn.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Hamburg will grow to size 5 on the next turn.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: You have constructed a Monument in Paris. Work has now begun on a Axeman.
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Gottfried Leibniz (Great Scientist) has been born in Paris (Napoleon)!
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Darius I adopts Hereditary Rule!
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Enrico Fermi (Great Scientist) has been born in Bombay (Gandhi)!
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Eystein the Wise (Great Spy) has been born in Istanbul (Mehmed II)!
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Saladin adopts Hereditary Rule!
    Turn 112, 75 BC: Mao Zedong has founded Hangzhou in a distant land.

Turn 113, 50 BC: Double Fish has grown to size 4.
    Turn 113, 50 BC: Double Fish can hurry Granary for 2⇴ with 5ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 10 turns.
    Turn 113, 50 BC: Berlin has grown to size 6.
    Turn 113, 50 BC: Hamburg has grown to size 5.
    Turn 113, 50 BC: Munich has been pacified.
    Turn 113, 50 BC: Stalin has 80 gold available for trade.
    Turn 113, 50 BC: Gandhi is the worst enemy of Kublai Khan.
    Turn 113, 50 BC: Mao Zedong will trade Spices
    Turn 113, 50 BC: Will Sign Open Borders: Frederick
    Turn 113, 50 BC: You have discovered Education!

5. Sun Tzu Wu

We can trade Mao Sheep for Spices.

We can trade Gandhi Sheep for Crab.

Please take a look at the new save and make additional suggestions.

I plan to heal our units and attack the Christian Holy City and Thebes (I will build a road to Istanbul for this purpose). We can attack Istanbul later from the south, avoiding crossing the river.

6. haphazard1

haphazard1 Dancing Bear

Looks good so far, Sun Tzu Wu. :thumbsup:

I would make the deal for spices; we can always use more happiness. We are OK for now, but once we start whipping for more production the extra happiness will be very helpful. And being able to grow larger and work more tiles (especially cottages) would also not hurt.

I like the idea of moving to take Jerusalem (tons of culture there, looking at the borders) and then hitting Egypt. We can deal with Istanbul later, as you noted. The Ottomans are weak, anyway. Longer term we should probably also finish off Portugal (weak, target of opportunity) and Arabia (some surprisingly good land amidst the desert). To claim land for our railroad we will have to deal with Persia and India, or alternately take a northern route and deal with Russia again. Mongolia will be in the way no matter what, looks like.

I would make sure we have barracks built in our future troop-building cities while we finish Gunpowder. Do we want tot hink about spreading a state religion so we could run Theocracy for another promotion? Not sure it is worth it at this late date, since we only have 2 cities each with Christianity and Islam. Would have to do a lot of monasteries and missionaries, doubt that the investment would pay off in a reasonable time frame.

Once we reach Gunpowder what do we want to research? We will be focusing on war for a while, but still need to make progress towards railroads.

7. Sun Tzu Wu

I agree with everything you said, haphazard; especially building more Barracks and spreading either Christianity or Islam and later running Theocracy.

8. Sun Tzu Wu

PPP:

Research: Gunpowder

Technology trades: Trade for anything on the beeline to Steam Power or Railroad.

Technology steals: Steal from Hatshepsut anything on the beeline to Steam Power or Railroad.

Resource trades: Mao's Spices for Sheep; Gandhi's Crab for Sheep; Trade for any resource that improves our health or happiness; possibly sell our excess resources for Wpt (Gpt).

Military:

Heal current troops, move them to capture Jerusalem, Thebes, possibly Mecca and Istanbul. Possibly wipe out Joao II and Alexander. This will most likely be finished with Musketeers as will wiping out Saladin completely.

Cities:

Focus on commerce to complete Gunpowder reasonably fast.

Build Barracks, Monuments and Granaries in all cities that lack them.

Build Libraries and Universities as needed to build Oxford University (not sure this is worthwhile, but building a few Libraries will definitely help our research rate).

Build Libraries in high commerce cities.

Build Courthouses in all cities when we acquire Code of Laws.

Build two Galleys in Copper City to allow our military to cross 1-2 tile waterways (to attack Africa or Britannia for example).

Build an Islamic or Christian Monastery; build the corresponding Missikonaries to spread the religion; Islam is in most cities we plan to capture, so I suggest we focus on Islamic spread.

Build Forges in Hammer Cities.

Workers: Build roads, cottages and other improvements as needed.

9. haphazard1

haphazard1 Dancing Bear

I like the plan. :) A couple thoughts:

- I like Islam as our future state religion. Currently we have equal numbers of Christian and Islamic cities, but as you note we will be acquiring more Islamic cities so that seems the better choice. It will worsen relations with a number of AIs, but we are not exactly planning on a future of peace love and understanding anyway. :evil:

- Where would we build Oxford if we eventually do so? Maybe Thebes with the Great Library? We do not really have one super commerce city right now, although Paris could eventually be a pretty solid cottage capital under bureaucracy. I guess we can decide where later; the libraries and universities will be useful for boosting our research rate anyway. Expensive, though, and we will need a lot of hammers for military. Hmmm. Plus hammers for some missionaries...not sure we have time for the libraries/unis right now. They would be useful and if you can fit some in, great, but I don't think they are a high priority for now.

Do we intend to replace Frankfurt? I don't like the current city, as I have said previously.

Good luck!

10. Sun Tzu Wu

Yes, we will replace Frankfurt in 9-10t when we DoW Frederick and raze it.

11. Sun Tzu Wu

Should we settle the NW City site that is 1-NE of our Horse plot? Copper City just completed a Settler.

12. Sun Tzu Wu

Results - 0113 - 50 BC:

Mao's Spices for Sheep

Gandhi's Crab for Sheep

Warlord attached to Horse Archer C1Med1 5 XP becoming HA C1Med3 25 XPs.

Orleans started Forge 10t, interrupting Barracks 2t.

Copper City started Galley 3t.

13. Sun Tzu Wu

Results - 0114 - 25 BC:

Saladin is sending us Islamic Missionaries!

Whipped Granary in Double Fish.

14. Sun Tzu Wu

Results - 0115 - 1 AD:

Jerusalem has Walls, Castle, Citadel and Totem Pole.

Hamburg 3P whipped Library.

Should we settle the NW City site?

15. Sun Tzu Wu

Results - 0116 - 25 AD:

Stalin captured Frankfurt.

Mao's Sugar for Deer

Hatshepsut World Map + 40W for World Map

Mao World Map +20W for World Map

Gandhi World Map + 30W for World Map

16. Sun Tzu Wu

Results - 0117 - 50 AD:

Saladin spread Islam to Hamburg; 2t ago he spread it to Paris.

17. ikotomi

ikotomi Prince

Do we even have enough cities to start planning Oxford? It's a really large investment building that many universities, and it only really makes sense if we can make up for it by having a strong bureau cap. Since this game ends technology at Railroad essentially, I don't know at this point if it's worth it to go for it.

I don't think we should trade paper if possible. If Taoism is out there, it might be possible to block AI through Philosophy, but Paper is in general easier. If AI is slow enough to Lib, I think it's pretty feasible to get to Steam Power or even Railroad if we keep crippling AI's with conquest. God knows they're not going to help us with those higher techs.

18. Packers5280

Packers5280 Deity

The only AI that probably could beat us to lib is Hatty, and soon she won't be able to compete with us. Libbing Railroad would be great. Besides, when we get in the position to lib railroad, all the AI will be crippled beyond repair, since there will be only 1 AI left with a crap city to be taken when the railroad is finished.

I do think we need to consider going for oxford. At our current rate, chemistry will be 21 turns, steels 33, and RR 53. Of course, our tech rate will go up with more cottages. But we aren't done teching for a while. Besides, we have stone, which makes for a faster Oxford. When we get the mids, going US might be worth it to buy units or workers or buildings such as Universities. We only need 6 for oxford. So thats 1200 :hammers: for the universities. We have 3 libraries, so an extra 270 :hammers:, and then oxford at 200 :hammers: since we have stone for a total of 1670 :hammers:. While it is expensive we may need it since our research rate is quite pitiful.

I don't know about settling NW. The city won't be worth much without the fish, and who knows how long it will be for us to get it. Although, we already have the settler and not much else to settle. I think I'm fine with settling NW. Hopefully it'll be worth something soon.

19. ikotomi

ikotomi Prince

If we can build the unis timely, we should start an overflow chain now to finish Oxford faster.

20. Sun Tzu Wu

We already missed the Oxford University stacked overflow trick. One should start that overflow about 6-10t before Education. I have already given up on Oxford University.

BTW, we need 6 Universities to build Oxford University and have 8 cities, so its feasible.

Ideally, we would double GS bulb Chemistry.

Liberalizing Railroad does sound plausible. ( I tend to forget we are playing Monarch level where the AIs are quite easy to defeat.)

Anyway, I'm building a University in Paris, because it adds over 10 Bpt.