SGOTM3 Rome - Staff Team

Pre-turn
Gee, we have a lot of money. I spend some rushing Cavalries, Temples and Settlers.

Press Enter.
The annoying Samurai kill four Cavalries, capturing a Catapult, for the loss of two of them. This situation has to change...

Turn 1 - 1355 AD
CivAssist tells us that we still have:
4 Aztec, 8 Iroquois, 1 Indian and 26 Japanese cities to destroy for Conquest, or
790 tiles to domination.

I set research to Magnetism at 100% -in four turns we will be able to upgrade our caravels to galleons. It will only cost us about a hundred gold and a few points.
CivAssist tells me that FlipiumRiskius and Bagacum will riot. Take care that they do not :cool:

I am sorry to report that almost all our workers were automated... :mischief:

IT
Samurai keep on marching south. Right into the open arms embrace of our Cavalries... :ar15:
A couple of Iroqouis Knights and Aztec Longbows wander around.

Turn 2 - 1360 AD
Get rid of the approaching Samurai; I spend most of the turn moving units and healing Cavs.
I decide to split our forces in two groups: some will remove the Aztecs in the south, while the bulk will go against Japan. I will leave alone the Iroquois, for the moment.

In the meantime, I keep on settling the empty spaces (I still think that domination may be faster than conquest).

IT
Ops. The roman city of Lost is lost to an Aztec knight that I had not seen -must have been the green armour on grassland... :smoke:

Aztec and Japanes ships sink attacking our caravels

Samurai attack our Cavalries fortified on a mountain across a river. We loose two, they loose four and two redlined. Still too much for my liking.

Turn 3 - 1365 AD
Start moving north with some cavalries and cannons.
The Aztec campaign force is grouping in Wow. There is also a lonely Aztec city right on the edge of the map, south of FillerUp. At first I couldn't find it!

IT
Yuk. A Samurai Army too.
We discover Magnetism. I nail science back to zero and raise luxury again.

Turn 4 - 1070 AD
Upgrade a few catapults and caravels.
I was planning to cut the Japanese sources of Iron and Horses, so I put a few Explorers online.
The ship chain is also working, but I will have to disrupt it for a while, for the Galleon upgrade -and shift it north as we push the Japanese back.

IT
Nothing

Turn 5 - 1375 AD
The Samurai Army is destroyed together with five Samurai at the cost of three cavalries.

IT
Only one Japanese Longbow arrives this turn.

Turn 6 - 1380 AD
Reinforcements arrive in the other continent at steady pace.
Our southern army reaches Kahwanake.

IT
We are attacked by Iroquois Longbows outside Kahnawake, but resist.

Turn 7 - 1385 AD
Attack Kahnawake, a pop 2 city with...
...4 Musketmen inside!
Kill three loosing one Cavalry, but the surviving four are all wounded. An Army will come in support.

Capture Toyama, and keep on advancing towards Japan

IT
Loose one Cavalry outside Kahnawake to Iroquois Longbows, killing one of them.

Turn 8 - 1390 AD
Kill five Samurai, but loose two Cavalries around Toyama.
Kill an Iroquois Knight in the open, loosing another Cav.
Capture Cempoala on the edge of the world.

IT
Nuffin'

Turn 9 - 1395 AD
The usual stuff, fighting, killing, burning. The Army is at Kahnawake.
The sabotage expedition sets sail to Nara and Matsuyama with two groups of three Explorers.

IT
Nada

Turn 10 - 1400 AD
We take Bangalore. It was defended by a single spearman.
A city will be founded next to it to close the chokepoint.
Hey, the Iroquois are trying to expand in the open spaces!

Kill a couple of Muskets in Kahnawake.

I just met a Barbarians Regular Grahamiam... :lol:

IT
Nothing to report.

Turn 11 - 1405 AD
Kahnawake must have found a deposit of Musketmen. I have killed one more, and there is still at least another one... Where do they find them?

Destroy whateveritsname just founded by Iroquois. I mean...
Keep on killing Samurai. I lost count.

IT
Some movements I can't remember.

Turn 12 - 1410 AD
After one successful bombardment out of 10, the attack on Chondote begins. At least I hope we managed to scare them!

Kahnawake finally falls.

IT
Samurai keep on coming south.

Turn 13 - 1415 AD
Bad luck with the first load of Explorers. They all got captured. Not a big deal, though. Nara is not far now for our cavalries.

Found Chokus Pontius next to Bangalore.

IT
I will dream Samurai tonight...

Turn 14 - 1420 AD
Attack on Tynandenaga: the city (size 8) was defended by a regular musket and a spearman -all their musketmen must have been in Kahnawake :D

Attack on Calcutta, which falls with no losses. A few Cavalries land near Madras

IT
The luck these Samurai are having attacking our fortified Cavalries on mountains is simply disgusting. I will have to retreat from Madras...

Turn 15 - 1420 AD
Retreat one redlined Cavalry from Madras.
Get ready to attack Bombay and Oil Springs.

IT
Usual drip of Samurai...
Oh, the Japanese have managed to land a Settler + Samurai in OUR land strip

Turn 16 - 1425 AD
Ops. I played one too many again...
Oil Springs and Bombay are taken.
The lonely Samurai gets duly killed.

Regroup our units and fortify.

Notes
CivAssist says: 356 tiles to domination, 2 Aztec, 4 Iroquois, 1 Indian and 23 Japanese cities to conquest.

I tried to keep on expanding and capturing cities, but the resistance put up by Japan slowed me down quite a bit.

I have left Cavalries on auto-move towards New Pisae, where I have been shifting our ship chain to the other continent.
There are also a few settlers on auto-move towards potential new city sites. We have a little load of them between Bangalore and Chokus Pointus; I was waiting for the area to be safe for them to settle. The one between Chokus and Calcutta should found a city right where he is in order to connect them.

Alright then, I won't get this game back. Even though I missed most of it, it was another great experience -and I was absolutely not sure that we would make it, I must confess... :goodjob: !

Ummm.... We have some indian and japanese workers - weren't we supposed to disband these - or are they made from cities? We also have an iroquois settler!

Edit - Looks like we're going to have to replay Karasu's turns.... he captured something like 12 cities....

I'm going to have an early night, so might pass on it for now. :(

ainwood said:
Cross-edit / post. Looks like karasu captured quite a lot of cities, so we'll have to replay his turns again as well! :(
I would recommend that you just abandon/disband everything illegal.
By Karasu's domination strategy you are delayed anyways and the cities and workers will not have helped much.

Karasu also commented that a lot of Workers were left automated. I must confess that was my fault. I can't be bothered with the management of so many Workers at this late point in the game that I always automate them unless I am using them to connect roads at the point of advance. I try to unautomate them at the end of my turn in an SG, but forgot this time.

Could I suggest that we do leave them automated on the home continent? There are so many to them and each turn is taking so long that to handle them just gets in the way of the ultimate goa.

Sorry folks, I completely forgot about razing cities and disbadning workers... :blush: I did remember about Bangalore and the ship chain, though :p

That's what happens when you have something else on your mind and get to play late at night. It really looks like our subconscious mind doesn't want to finish this game...

And the answer I had been waiting for has not even arrived...
Still, I messed it up quite a bit. My apologies (even though they won't fix things).

Let's go with klarius' proposal and play from Karasu's save and just disband all the foreign workers and abandon the foreign cities in the pre-turn. We will not win any awards anyway but we can still finish in time. I'll see whether I can play tonight when all of Robin's guests have left. (I managed to get away for a moment...)

I agree. Lets do that and get the game done. It can only be a few turns now surely?

Common guys just finish this game :)

@Mad Bax: You really need to set a time line for the next SGOTM...
Without having a time restrictions teams just dragging the game.... When people have deadlines they are more organized. and those who miss it will have to post unfinished game with new status - timeline loss

We are very aware of the deadline, thanks, dmanakho. Rest assured that we are doing what we can. I am actually doubbting whether I will enter the next one, for the added stress involved...

anyway, I played three turns, which is what I was able to do this evening, hopefully I've brought us that bit closer...

Pre-turn
Abandoned all foreign cities. Interestingly some of them state the resistence is now ended... :ack:
Press enter.

IT
The newly arrived stack of cavs draw out 3 Sams and kills them all. [dance]
India is still fighting Japan as well.
Rebuff the Iroq emissiary.

1430AD - turn 1
Disband all the foreign workers.
Setup Cavs to attack St. Regis next turn.
Kill 3 more Samurai, move settlers to replace some of the abadoned cities.

IT
Two more Sams commit harakiri.
A Japanese caravel almost sinks our Galley, almost.... :evil:
Our Explorer is not attacks and we'll be able to disconnect their northern Iron.
Japan lands a Sam next to our undefended Ivory city.

1435AD - turn 2
Raze St. Regis and another Titus is born.
Niagara Falls too. (I know, cheesy.. :cringe: )
Move a Cav into the Ivory city.

IT
The Japanese have razed our Ivory city.

1440AD - turn 3
Raze Oda.
Raze Nara, a Japanese core city, their last source of Iron... [dance]
Raze Hyderabad.

a space oddity said:
We are very aware of the deadline, thanks, dmanakho.

I wasn't picking at your team I swear.... :beer: . Please don't take it personally. :wavey:
What i was trying to say is that time limit would be a good feature for the future games.

Space, I tried to take your 1440 save but the program will not load it. Says it is an invalid save. Could you put it up again.

Top Bottom