SHIFT + (right-mouse) KLICK in multiplayer

diLuca

Chieftain
shift+klick does not belong to civ. devs must have been drunk when they coded this into the game.

as explanation for the new players: by moving units with shift and right klick they will all move at once by the end of everyones turn. this means, in the next round you will have a huge, if not gamebreaking, tactical advantage since your oponent will be caught by surprise. just yesterday i lost a mp-game just because of one single shift+klick turn of my oponent.

civ is meant to be a long lasting game with tactical fights and i realy dont understand why players (mostly those with lower points) use this method, with great success if they know what they are doing, to completely turn the tide. most league players use this too and they can do that all they want in their community but not in REAL games, yea flame me to hell for this statement. you can "play to win" all you want but please be so kind and stop using it (which u wont, i know..) in regular lobby games.

granted, now someone can say "just use it too" but 1.) i usualy play with real civ players who dont use it 2.) i HATE this "feature" myself, 3.) i dont like to cheat in general, and yes, i see it definitely as a cheat.

i would care less if a game takes 30 mins but as we all know games can, and do take hours and it pisses me off when the game is ruined by just one (shift-klick) turn.

i realy hope they code this game-ruining "feature" out of the game with gods and kings but my hopes are low

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NO_QUITTERS

shift+klick does not belong to civ. devs must have been drunk when they coded this into the game.

as explanation for the new players: by moving units with shift and right klick they will all move at once by the end of everyones turn. this means, in the next round you will have a huge, if not gamebreaking, tactical advantage since your oponent will be caught by surprise. just yesterday i lost a mp-game just because of one single shift+klick turn of my oponent.

civ is meant to be a long lasting game with tactical fights and i realy dont understand why players (mostly those with lower points) use this method, with great success if they know what they are doing, to completely turn the tide. most league players use this too and they can do that all they want in their community but not in REAL games, yea flame me to hell for this statement. you can "play to win" all you want but please be so kind and stop using it (which u wont, i know..) in regular lobby games.

granted, now someone can say "just use it too" but 1.) i usualy play with real civ players who dont use it 2.) i HATE this "feature" myself, 3.) i dont like to cheat in general, and yes, i see it definitely as a cheat.

i would care less if a game takes 30 mins but as we all know games can, and do take hours and it pisses me off when the game is ruined by just one (shift-klick) turn.

i realy hope they code this game-ruining "feature" out of the game with gods and kings but my hopes are low

I think there should be a simple "on/off" option for shift-click in a game... I don't think the developers realized how much impact shift-click has on multi-player games. If all players agree to use it/not use it, that has worked... HOWEVER the default option is often debated. I took part in that game, and some people in the game (it was NQ) said that because it was not discussed beforehand, it is not banned. This game did have a "happy ending" cuz I stealth-rushed the civ that diLuca is talking about (and everybody else.) Stealth :lol: That was an epic game, I am sorry it turned out not-so-fun for everybody.

I had a different NQ game where a player shift clicked a huge army right on me, and I had thought (like everybody else in that game) that shift-clicking was not allowed so my guard was down. :mad: With Kremlin/oligarchy/Inda my capital was strength 80 at the time and I had artillary, if he had to manually move units it I would have been able to kill a few while he was moving them in.:cry:

In public games where shift-click is not mentioned, I don't shift-click unless another player is being a trollolol - then anything goes.:mwaha:

I had a different NQ game where a player shift clicked a huge army right on me, and I had thought (like everybody else in that game) that shift-clicking was not allowed so my guard was down. :mad:

yep, thats exactly what i meant!

This game did have a "happy ending" cuz I stealth-rushed the civ that diLuca is talking about (and everybody else.) Stealth That was an epic game, I am sorry it turned out not-so-fun for everybody.

glad to hear about that game being won legit.

I'm pretty sure that devs coded it for a different purpose entirely: When you tell a unit to go somewhere far, it spends its movement points to move part of the journey, and then moves more end of next turn, end of next turn, etc, until it reaches its destination. They had to code that into the game. I believe someone just thought that since it's in the game, might as well assign a keyboard command (shift) to access that function. Probably like 2 lines of code.

I don't like what it does to the game and I think the devs should do something about it. For example, 5-second delay before you can move the same unit again beginning of next turn.

But as long as it's in the game you might as well use it. Problem with "no shift click games" is that there's always 1 douchebag who thinks he can go by different rules than everybody else. And what can you do when someone uses it? Demand a reload? Scrap the game? Whine in chat and do nothing? What if he only moved 1 unit, so you're not sure if he moved at the end of turn or used shift click? You say he did it, he says he didn't. Then what?

Since some people are going to use it in any case and there's limited resources to enforce a rule against it, it's better for everyone to use it, than for only cheaters to use it.

Top Bottom