Ships won't heal

Auger

Chieftain
Damage to batttleships, destroyers, and subs will not heal. I take them to a city with a harbor, and then fortify the unit. According to the manual, it should heal in one turn. This never happens. I can be building a battleship in the same city, and it still will not repair the unit. Am I doing something wrong? I am using the 1.16f patch. Any help is most welcom.

Thanks

This could be another manual error (or more likely a small bug) because naval units only heal one point per turn (just like cities w/o barracks).

It could just be me, but it seems like the AI civ's can heal their naval units in one turn. So far, the only advantage that harbors offer to naval units, is the production of veteran ships.

I admit, I am also confused by healing naval units.

In open water, my naval units do not heal if I leave them for a turn - I have to take them back to a city with a harbor first, where they will heal in one turn. (This is probably realistic, but I'm not sure it is how the game is meant to work).

Can anybody confirm what I have experienced is right or not?

My ships don't heal on water either, which I think is good (realistic).

Just like with land unit, the unit must be still its whole turn in order to heal. In other words, take an example of a 1 hp elite battleship:

Round 1) Move the battleship to the city with a harbor. Either fortify it or click space. The unit ends the turn with 1 hp.
Round 2) Click space or do nothing if it was fortified. The unit ends the turn with 1 hp.
Round 3) The unit is now at full strength and will become active if it was forttified. The unit began the turn with 5 hp.

And no, naval units never heal at sea, even if you have built the Battlefield medicine small wonder.

Thanks for the replies guys. But I think I worded my question poorly. My ships do not EVER heal. Sitting in home port, with a harbor, they never heal. Even if I leave them for 5, 10, 20 turns. This consistently happens. I have never had a battleship, destroyer, or sub heal. It MUST be something on my end, since most of you have your ships heal when you get inside your own waters and do not move it. I just am at a loss here. makes my ships pretty weak over the longhaul.

Inside own waters is not good enough.

You have to be in port !
If you are, however, then yeah, I guess it has to be something on your end, because this should work...

Yea...I AM in port. And I have tried it with my ship Fortified and just skipping it turns. Even after 10 turns in this condition, the ships do not heal. Gonna try to remove and reisntall game, thenm the patch. Even though it says 1.16f on my version #, I must have screwed up installing the patch. All I can think of.

My ships heal IN PORt, and only in port. But I have seen AI ships heal in open water, and even in my waters.

Originally posted by Auger
Thanks for the replies guys. But I think I worded my question poorly. My ships do not EVER heal. Sitting in home port, with a harbor, they never heal. Even if I leave them for 5, 10, 20 turns. This consistently happens. I have never had a battleship, destroyer, or sub heal. It MUST be something on my end, since most of you have your ships heal when you get inside your own waters and do not move it. I just am at a loss here. makes my ships pretty weak over the longhaul.

That's an odd bug. Usually, fortifying a ship in a port that contains a harbor works like the proverbial charm. Have you installed any mods, or do you recall making any changes in the editor before starting the game that may have caused this?

Thnaks for all the replies. What a helpful message board. I appreciate it. No..I didn't install any mods or make any edits. But when I installed the patch, I remember the computer locking up after the install. Maybe something got mucked up. I just this morning reinstalled the game. I am in the middle of another game, and will see how ships do after I build a few. Thanks again guys.

Originally posted by pompeynunn
I admit, I am also confused by healing naval units.

In open water, my naval units do not heal if I leave them for a turn - I have to take them back to a city with a harbor first, where they will heal in one turn. (This is probably realistic, but I'm not sure it is how the game is meant to work).

Can anybody confirm what I have experienced is right or not?

Apparently the game is designed so thaat ships have to be in a port in order to heal.

Auger,
Did you ever fix this problem? I'm having the same prob (1.21f) patch. In the game I'm playing now I have 2 Destroyers and a Frigate fortified in a city with a harbor. They have been there for 6 turns now and they will not heal!!
This is driving me crazy. Any suggestions guys??

BTW I'm totally new to this game, never played any of the older versions and this is only my second game. I'm hooked big time. ;)

Matt

You could edit the saved file using the Gramphos saved game editor to set zero damage to the units.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showt...=&threadid=7787
You have already done what you are supposed to do to heal them so you deserve to have healed units. But this non-healing may mean you will have more problems later on than ships not healing.

Thanks for the fast reply sumthinelse. It's appreciated.
I have solved the problem. The problem was PEBKAC. For those who may not know what that stands for, it's (Problem Existed Between Keyboard and Chair.) :rolleyes:

I was fortifying the units on the coast tile. This is wrong I've learned. I fortified them on the city square and voila, healed ships in 1 turn, as advertised. I guess being in 'harbor' isn't good enough. They have to be 'dry docked', which actually makes sense now that I think about it.

Well, I look forward to reading and posting on this board. I have already learned a great deal from here, and I'm sure I will learn a great deal more as time goes by. Perhaps one day I will be a good enough player to post some tips of my own. Now I'm going back to kicking some Zulu and Chinese butt! :spank:

Originally posted by Moulton
My ships heal IN PORt, and only in port. But I have seen AI ships heal in open water, and even in my waters.

Thanks. We've discovered yet another AI cheat. :(

Well maybe it's just the patch, get any of the newer ones and try then

From some of your messages, it seems as if you are just having them sit in the water within your boundaries. This doesn't heal them. You must fortify the ship within the city with a harbor. It works for me that way. They don't heal at all when they're in a water tile, no matter if it's in your borders or open water.

You don't actually have to fortify them in the harbor. Just letting them sit (hit space) works too.

Top Bottom