Short Term Fix: Checking XML

originalpckelly

Chieftain
I had the Checking XML problem with civ 4, and my log (when I enabled it) also said:
[58538.593] DBG: FILE Cat Init
[58542.109] DBG: NOT Using XML cache, failed to find crc.dat file
[58542.140] DBG: Game Init
[58542.140] DBG: Multiplayer Init
but...
There is a short term solution. Create a new user, or use a user without program x installed. I think what happened is some other program all of us have installed that uses xml steps on civ 4 toes. I had a clean user which I only install programs that don't have the "install for this user only option" and it worked on that user. So I tried creating a new user. It worked. We need to find out which app allows a person to install on a single user but not others and that will be our conflict app.

Possible Problem Apps:
Blender 3D
GIMP
Inkscape
GTK <- Any app that uses this toolkit

If you could post and tell if this worked, and if you have the preceding programs installed that would help.

I am having the problem with the game quitting at "checking XML" and would like to try your suggestion, but I am a little confused about how to do it.

I currently installed the game for both accounts on my comp and it does not work on either. I assume I should unistall Civ IV and create a new user acct. But then are you suggesting that I reinstall the game only on the new user acct, or reinstall to all accts and just try running it on the new user one.

I am not sure what you mean by a user without "program x" installed. And if I create a new user how do I know that this "program x" wont be installed on that acct.

Thanks so much for trying to fix this

I tried this and now I get this problem:

"I'm trying to install civ4 and having a reaccuring feature transfer error:
Feature: DefaultFeature
Component: Civ4Component
File: D\data2.cab
Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)."

I can't freaking win. On my main I could at least get it installed now on the new user I can't get past this.

Tulkas12, check your disc to make sure it's not scratched or dirty. From some other things I've read, the CRC check is pretty picky for these discs.

same problem here.

i tried making a new test account but still no the game wont start =(.

[879.985] DBG: FILE Cat Init
[883.330] DBG: NOT Using XML cache, failed to find crc.dat file
[883.350] DBG: Game Init
[883.350] DBG: Multiplayer Init
^my log

I have exactly the same Message. I've already Tried:
-To install last Realtek High Def Audio Drivers (R1.26).
-To install XML Parser (3.0 & 4.0)
-To install .NET 1.1
-To desactivate Direct X Sound acceleration
-To install DX from the civ's dvd
-To put the sound on 0 in civ's ini
-To pick the crc.dat file from a friend, (the log say File XML OK but stop after multiplayer ini, so i think it's the sound which block)
-To create another windows account (I know there's no effect, i was desesperate ^^)

I have two computers, CivIV works only on the one i don't use :D
Please help ... :'(

I also am having problems at the Checking XML stage. I have downloaded a couple things from microsoft (from a couple suggestions here). That did not help.
FINALLY getting to talk to someone at the customer support, she gave me a link to the same things I already downloaded (see above). I tried again, rebooted (did that a few times). Again same problem.
Seems to be a common problem yet I can not seem to fix it. I have pretty basic computer knowledge.
I would GREATLY appreciate it if someone could walk me through a solution via instant messenging. I am on MSN messenger under name BLTurner@Hotmail.com
I am in Los Angeles (West coast) of USA. I will be online some tonight and most likely most of the day Sat and Sun.

PLease help

My motherbord:
A7V880 integrated SoundMAX Digital Audio
driver latest version is: "5.12.0001.3663"

the is NO drivers update for my sound system!:(

What can i do in this case?

yknow, i actually made a "test" account just for the hell of it.

guess what, the game bloody works O_O;

so im guessing its a program....good lord...i have tons upon tons of programs running in the background...it would take me days just to figure this thing out...oh god.

heartCORE said:
yknow, i actually made a "test" account just for the hell of it.

guess what, the game bloody works O_O;

so im guessing its a program....good lord...i have tons upon tons of programs running in the background...it would take me days just to figure this thing out...oh god.
Can you try it in your original account, and try the fix in this thread? => it would be nice to get some feedback on it. :)

Top Bottom