should i get civ 4

Civ Person

BEAST
:confused:i was wondering if i want civ 4. i just got civ rev for the ds and i love it. civ 4 sounds good too. should i get it?

Links for the demos here (depending on if you are Mac or PC)

Civ IV Demo - PC

Civ 4 Demo - Mac

There's also I believe a BTS demo sitting around somewhere, google is your friend for that one I guess. :)

They'll give you a vague idea if your computer can run it, though it has been optimised a bit with the odd patch or two since the demos were released. Likewise, of course, it'll give you a brief idea if you'll like it. Keep in mind Civ Rev games aren't as long as a typical Civ IV game. My latest Civ IV game went about 20 hours or so.

if you like civ rev, it is dubious whether you will like civ4. what you ahve to understand is that civ4 is much more complicated, longer, harder and in depth than civ rev. but ultimately, i find it to be a more rewarding game. according to lots of people who play civ4 around here, they don't like civ rev: they say it oversimplifies the game etc.

however, civ4 is the best strategy game ever made so at least give the demos a shot. if you like it, buy the real thing.

thank you, i will try demos. i play age of empires III and mythology. i wanted a new stratigy game. then i heard of civ and that civ rev is a good intro to the series. any way thanks again

NO, you HAVE to get it!!!

And you have to get the BTS expansion pack. And buy a new computer, redecorate the office. Hire a lawn company so you have more time to play!!

Wait, that's my story. Sorry.

Yes buy the game, it is good!

It definitely can be more of a time sink than Revolutions.

Monarch/Standard/Marathon - takes me between 4 and 8 hours
Emperor/Standard/Marathon - takes me between 6 and 10 hours

Some people games take weeks. By far the best turn based strategy game ever. Revolutions actually fun? Looks horrible to me how they simplified everything. I do have a dusty ole X-box 360 laying around. Maybe I should buy it?

okay.... thanks again. i am still in school so i have ppenty of time to play it if i get

you should get rev royal. good quick games. the other reason i may like my rev game is i have never played any other civ game. i will try demos for civ 4

we're pretty much elitists who couldn't imagine how a more mass marketed version would be better

help please! i downloaded the demo and nothing happened. cont find game in files. any help(it did download for sure)

Did you check where your browser downloads files? Usually it's into a folder called (wait for it) Downloads, Temp, or the Desktop....

EDIT: D'oh.....misread that. Did you also see if there was a Setup or .exe file there? Maybe one of them will help you here.

Asking whether or not to get CivIV on a CivIV board populated by people fanatic about the game is like asking a salesperson on commission if you should buy the most expensive item he has.

ya the answers you would get around here are kinda bias.

i no there a little bias, but people here all have played it.

i have checked those file. not there. i will double check though. also have any of you downloaded the demo? what happened to you

If you are a fan of strategy games then CivIV is a must have for your game collection. I got interested in the Civ series in a similar way to you Civ Person (console-to-pc). The first Civilization game I owned was Civ SNES, and then CivII on PS. Eventually I got a hand-me-down junker PC and my friend installed CivII. There is a steep learning curve, but you will be better off than someone who hasn't played any Civ related games (since you play civ rev). I played the civ rev demo and they did simplify a lot of things, which is a turn off. You can go from civ rev to CivIV, but not from CivIV to civ rev. You won't regret buying CivIV as long as your PC meets the requirements.

Trying getting the demo from somewhere else perhaps if you are able to. Don't know what happened? Maybe the file didn't download properly. I'm sure those links I posted are the right ones. Maybe just try the BTS (Beyond the Sword) demo.

Yes, people will be biased on the Civ IV board, hence the reason for me to point you towards the demo. Always best to make your own decisions ;)

Civ3 is still the undisputed :king: king :king: of all civ games (I havent tried rev though, but thats also a kiddy game).

But my advice, would also be to try the demo. I bought civ4 and all the expansions on release day... but it is missing the epic feeling of time and size... combat is boring too.

Here's hoping Firaxis uses civ3 as a template for civ5.

Civ 3 has a number of annoying features, and actually, after playing Civ 4 for some time, I'd certainly miss stuff like the additional improements, the civics. culture, etc. I prefer a reasonable number of cities over the tons of cities that you'd build in Civ 3. Well, all Civ games are wonderful, really, but I actually really like the current version.

Civ Rev is a very stripped down version of the real thing, so if you liked it, you'll like Civ 4 too. There is a lot more to do, a lot more to consider, and a lot more ways to play. You'll like this. :)

i just played the demo. I now know why every one is so addicted to it. it was awesome. the demo ended too soon! i defently will get this. I like inca. Thanks Strato for the links to the demo. I owe you!

In Europe you can get a "Civ4 Complete" edition (base game plus both expansions) for little money. If that one's out in the US too, that's the best deal. If not, the Beyond the Sword expansion includes the changes of the Warlords expansions, so you only need that one, unless you want the scenarios as well.

No surprise that you like the game. :) It's everything that Civ Rev is, plus sooo much more!

Get Civ 4 and BTS Or I'll stab you.

Top Bottom