Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Abstain

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by ravensfire

The last scenario refers to a situation where the deputy isn't around, or is unable to assume the office for whatever reason.

Your point is a valid one - it's just a question of preference for me. Either approach would work - I think appointments would be a touch (1-2 days) shorter.

-- Ravensfire

If we've go a leader and a deputy in place an neither one wants to or is able to post instructions then I have no problem letting the DP take up their slack. We do not need a chain of command for every office.

Yes, appointments can be faster but then we're losing some of the democracy aspect. At least that's how I feel about it.

posted by donsigWhy not just have the DP carry the workload until the election is settled. Under your proposal we don't even need a deputy.

I have always assumed that the whole reason for having deputies is so that a given office will continue to function even if the leader inexplicably disappears for just a short time. It goes back (once again) to whether deputies can take over at any time the leader is gone or whether the deputy has to wait around to be formally elevated to the leader position. It amkes no sense to me to have to have a given number of game play sessions missed before the deputy can step in. The whole point is to no miss any game play sessions.
In an ordinary situation, the roll of the deputy is to cover off for the leader when requested by said leader. The leader may elect to deligate responsibilities and/or subtasks to his deputy as he/she sees fit. If the leader is absent for a short, or extended period, I would assume the deputy would be take up the slack until it was decided by the chain of command that the leader had transgressed enough to be booted from the office. At that point the DP would take responsibility for the vacated office until a mandate from the people validated the deputies entitlement to the office and sole responsibility for that office.
What my suggestion tries to avoid is unrestricted access to the office without the oversight of an elected official. In my mind, the deputy only has legitimate access to the responsibilities of office through the oversite of the leader who appointed him. Once that leader is pulled (or resigned) from her position, the deputy's ligitimacy is called into question and must be brought before the citizenry.
Is that more clear, Donsig?

Originally posted by TerminalMan90

What my suggestion tries to avoid is unrestricted access to the office without the oversight of an elected official. In my mind, the deputy only has legitimate access to the responsibilities of office through the oversite of the leader who appointed him. Once that leader is pulled (or resigned) from her position, the deputy's ligitimacy is called into question and must be brought before the citizenry.
Is that more clear, Donsig?

I am of the opinion that, once the citizens elect someone to an office they are stuck with him or her unless the elected official formally resigns or is found guilt of high crimes. Once officially removed (for whatever reason) the deputy should automatically be installed as the new leader. Merely confirming someone in position is not the same as electing them. I am also much more concerned with what we should do when a leader just vanishes without a word. I do not think we should wait around letting the leaders work go undone. The deputy should be able to step right up and get things done. Therefore I believe we should be electing deputies (some way somehow) rather than appointing them.

I am all for appointing citizens to minor posts but to appoint deputies to the executive is a ridiculous idea. I am shocked that so many people have voted for it. We elect leaders to the government because we want to choose by whom we are goverened. Since deputies sometimes exercise the power of a leader they should be chosen in the same way.

They are chosen in some way Peri. The Leader we elect to guide us choses the best person they can find to back him/her up in times of trouble. They don't throw dart at pictures of avatars and post the one that wins.

I do appreciate that. However I just believe that the people should choose directly the deputy leader as well.

Originally posted by Cyc
They are chosen in some way Peri. The Leader we elect to guide us choses the best person they can find to back him/her up in times of trouble. They don't throw dart at pictures of avatars and post the one that wins.

We haven't tried that method in the demogames yet Cyc. Maybe we should since it will be just as good as using appointments. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by donsig

We haven't tried that method in the demogames yet Cyc. Maybe we should since it will be just as good as using appointments. :rolleyes:

So what yer saying donsig is you have no faith in anyone's judgement when it comes to deputies, but your own. You fell that throwing darts is equal to the ability of the Leaders we elect. Maybe we should just pass a Law that will allow us humble minions the opportunity to forgo choosing a "second-in-command" by giving that responsibility to you. Your Judgement is probably a lot better than throwing darts, don't you think?

Originally posted by Cyc

So what yer saying donsig is you have no faith in anyone's judgement when it comes to deputies, but your own. You fell that throwing darts is equal to the ability of the Leaders we elect. Maybe we should just pass a Law that will allow us humble minions the opportunity to forgo choosing a "second-in-command" by giving that responsibility to you. Your Judgement is probably a lot better than throwing darts, don't you think?

C'mon Cyc, get it all out of your system. :vomit:

What I am saying is we should elect anyone who will be posting game play instructions. We should not use appointments to fill vacancies. I think it would be great if we allowed those running for leadership positions to pick their own deputies as long as it is done before the election so everyone has the opportunity to place their votes based on who the deputy will be. (Just as we do in the US when we elect a president.)

I would also prefer to fill leadership positions via special election when there is no deputy to step in.

The people have voted quite decisively that we should consider appointments in DG4. Whether this makes it into the CoL will be another matter, but at this time, Article G of our Constitution must be drafted to allow this immediately.

That said, the current dialogue here does nothing to meet this end. So let's get back to work. The sooner we confirm Article G, the sooner you may speak of this again.

As always, PM me with any questions or concerns. This discussion is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom