Should we rename captured cities?

Should we rename captured cities?

• Yes! We must suppress the horrible culture of our enemies!

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • No! We must respect our enemie's culture and history.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Rename some, but not all cities.

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters

Benjamin Miller

Deranged Helicopter Pilot
We are in our golden age, and about to capture a few cities with our Immortals. Should we rename any and all captured cities?

Have captured cities fall under the city naming queue. Whoever's turn is up to name a city can rename the captured city if they wish.

Another thought on city names - I think the original namer should have the right to rename his/her city. Many city names change over time. Maybe give rename options at election time. An excellent example is Shailonegha. It has already become Shilo or Shailo in common use and I'd like to make that an official change sometime in the future.

I voted no, but not out of respect for the barbarians' "culture."
What better way to gloat than for Washington to be a minor city of our empire.

Originally posted by filerba
I voted no, but not out of respect for the barbarians' "culture."
What better way to gloat than for Washington to be a minor city of our empire.
Yeah! :goodjob:

I want to look back some day a few thousand yrs into the future (in the game :D), and tell my descendants, "See that city in the north, that one called Washington; I was there when our armies conquered it a few thousand yrs ago!" :lol:

Good question. makes ya think. i wonder how it would have turned out if Hitler had renamed Paris.

Well cities and Countries are called different in different languages and different cultures.

For example (don't know if this is a good one though.)

Almost all cities in Finland has both Swedish names and Finnish names (not in finland), because we swedes called em different then they did when we controlled the cities.

The same thing might go for a numerous cities throughout the world. Conquered and not conquered cities.

Occasionally. Usually I only rename cities I've taken from my worst enemies, thus wanting to humiliate them and glorify my own empire. Too bad that doesn't seem to make a lot of difference to the AI... :king:

Generally, I don't want to destroy the remnants of a formerly great culture, as I'll spare their improvements (and Wonders) too. That would be barbaric.

I think we should rename every city we capture except for the original capitol.

I don´t want to rename them either, since I too think it is fun to see the evidence of our triumf over our enemies.

I generally rename American cities, but not other ones, as part of the fun of CIV3 for me is pretending I am not an American for a while. Particularly, if we had been able to capture Houston, I would have campaigned vigorously for the name to be changed. The same with Denver, Miami and a few others. The names just don't seem to fit in the ancient and middle ages.

Originally posted by Shaitan
How about Hewstown, Dunvair and Myamy? Just morph the names - keep the essence but make them definitively different at the same time.

Hehe. Myamy looks like a Zulu city name when spelled that way. Works for me.

We should rename Philadelphia, Filly. Sorta keeps the name but saves us from pronouncing that long-winded American gibberish. Best of all, the city has horses in its radius.

ARE WE SUCH BABARIANS AS IT SEEMS IN THIS THREAD?

Whrere is our culture? Where is our common sense? What should our future foreign citizens think if we just deny their culture by renaming their cities?
I AM STRICTLY OPOSED TO THIS POLL!
We are no babarians! We do not deny other cultures! We are not like them!
In a few years, we also could look back on the many foreign city names and say: Hey, see which cities we captured from the americans! How strong we are!

Top Bottom