1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Simple ModBuddy Problem

Discussion in 'Mod Creation Help' started by SocialMechanic, May 11, 2019.

1. SocialMechanic

SocialMechanic Chieftain

I don't quite know what is wrong, but I start a new project that uses the "New Government Policy" starter set, which starts with 4 basic files (Art, Gameplay, Icons, and Text). I change the "MOD_EXAMPLE" text to "MY_MODTEST". I also right-click > Properties and change the mod name to match the file name. I then go to the "Build" option in the top menu and "Build Solution" (I've tried both build options). It reports no errors. I go into the game and see the mod and enable it, but I don't see the policy in Defensive Tactics (as it should be). Am I missing something?
    I have a modding history for other games but this process is much different than what I'm used to...

2. racha

racha Warlord

Your best bet is to zip the mod and upload it to this thread - actually looking at what you've done is usually the easiest way to identify the mistake.

3. SocialMechanic

SocialMechanic Chieftain

I do not think there is a way to export what I've done in ModBuddy as a zip file. Instead, I've attached a zip file with each file exported as a txt doc and with a screen cap of what it looks like.

Attached Files:

4. SocialMechanic

SocialMechanic Chieftain

Quick Update: I decided to tryt and just do everything from scratch with a clean project and it worked. I'm not sure what it is about the Fraxis default policy template that doesn't work, but oh well.

5. racha

racha Warlord

Glad you got things resolved - please update the thread if you happen to figure out what you did as it could always help the next person.

For future reference, if you need to upload a mod (assuming you're a windows user), go into My Documents, dig your way down to the sub-directory containing all your civ mods. Zip the entire directory that has the name of the mod in question and that will give people on this site the info they need to help you out.

SocialMechanic likes this.
  6. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

The problem is that the Modbuddy program auto-renames the files based on the name of the Project that is either auto-generated or is chosen by the user when starting the project by using the template. As an example, when I allow Modbuddy to call the project NewPolicy1, the files within the template mod are named as
    Code:
      <Files>
        <File>NewPolicy1_Gameplay.xml</File>
        <File>NewPolicy1_Icons.xml</File>
        <File>NewPolicy1_Text.xml</File>
      </Files>
    However, the names of the files that are activated within the mod's InGameActions are not correctly auto-assigned to match the new file-names generated:
    Code:
      <InGameActions>
        <UpdateDatabase id="Gameplay">
          <File>NewPolicy_Gameplay.xml</File>
        </UpdateDatabase>
        <UpdateIcons id="Icons">
         <File>NewPolicy_Icons.xml</File>
        </UpdateIcons>
        <UpdateText id="Text">
          <File>NewPolicy_Text.xml</File>
        </UpdateText>
      </InGameActions>
    No such file-names exist in the mod when the mod is created from modbuddy, so the game does not execute anything. An error is generated in Modding.log for mismatched file names, but that is all
    Code:
    [2938879.353] Loading Mod - C:/Users/Lee/Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Mods/NewPolicy1/NewPolicy1.modinfo
    [2938879.355] ERROR: Invalid file reference in action, did you forgot to add it in <Files>? - NewPolicy_Gameplay.xml
    [2938879.356] ERROR: Invalid file reference in action, did you forgot to add it in <Files>? - NewPolicy_Icons.xml
    [2938879.357] ERROR: Invalid file reference in action, did you forgot to add it in <Files>? - NewPolicy_Text.xml
    It's necessary therefore before building the mod to delete the existing file names in the actions and add the proper file names as they've been re-named by the auto-naming.

Last edited: May 13, 2019