Skyscrapers policy comes too early

Ansive

Prince
The good wonders for me are medieval and renaissance.
I hate losing Gothic Architecture to the useless Skyscrapers policy.

It would be better if it came later in the industrial era tree, maybe with Urbanization.

But there's not really a reason to go Civil Engineering that fast anyways though. They don't even give automated defenses anymore. I usually get it when I need to build wonders like Big Ben and Oxford.

That being said, Gothic Architecture is kinda out of the way.

I postpone the civic as much as possible... eventually it's all 1 turns remaining. (sometimes I'm lucky with culture city states)
Teching too fast? Here's a penalty! Sigh.

The obsolescence of policy cards are kind of annoying. Having too much Culture give you the cards earlier. I don't know if it's a balance issue to make Culture civilization somewhat weaker, but I would like to see this:

Feudal Contract: +50% Production towards melee and ranged units from Renaissance era or earlier.
Grande Armée: +50% Production towards melee and ranged units from Modern era or earlier.
Military First: +50% Production towards melee and ranged units from any era.
Chivalry: +50% Production towards heavy and light cavalry from Industrial era or earlier.
Lightning Warfare: +50% Production towards heavy and light cavalry from any era.
Press Gangs: +100% Production towards naval units from Industrial era or earlier.
International Waters: +100% Production towards naval units from any era, excluding Carriers.
Strategic Air Force: +50% Production toward air units from any era, and Carriers.
Gothic Architecture: +15% Production towards wonders from Renaissance era or earlier.
Skycrapers: +15% Production towards wonders from any era.

Bonus: Naval units from medieval era have now their +100% cards! Well, we don't have medieval era naval units today, but someday maybe we will!

The obsolescence of policy cards are kind of annoying. Having too much Culture give you the cards earlier. I don't know if it's a balance issue to make Culture civilization somewhat weaker, but I would like to see this:

Feudal Contract: +50% Production towards melee and ranged units from Renaissance era or earlier.
Grande Armée: +50% Production towards melee and ranged units from Modern era or earlier.
Military First: +50% Production towards melee and ranged units from any era.
Chivalry: +50% Production towards heavy and light cavalry from Industrial era or earlier.
Lightning Warfare: +50% Production towards heavy and light cavalry from any era.
Press Gangs: +100% Production towards naval units from Industrial era or earlier.
International Waters: +100% Production towards naval units from any era, excluding Carriers.
Strategic Air Force: +50% Production toward air units from any era, and Carriers.
Gothic Architecture: +15% Production towards wonders from Renaissance era or earlier.
Skycrapers: +15% Production towards wonders from any era.

Bonus: Naval units from medieval era have now their +100% cards! Well, we don't have medieval era naval units today, but someday maybe we will!
If someone makes this mod, they'll get a loving thought from me. I have not had time to do it myself yet, even though it's been on my to-do list for a long time.

If someone makes this mod, they'll get a loving thought from me. I have not had time to do it myself yet, even though it's been on my to-do list for a long time.

I did this as part of my Expanded Economy mod, but yeah, it should really be something that's stand-alone (I also added Anti-Cavalry to the melee/ranged unit policies).

Civil Engineering is too worthwhile a civic that you can't delay. (An extra 30% on builders apart from the previous +2 charge) I always try my best to beeline it.

Such a powerful civic shall have a lot of cost. Many things are obsoleted in this civic, which is the cost of it.

Despite it making lots obsolete, it is still the best industrial-era civic I think. It's bonus is too huge.

Also why don't anti-cavalry units ever get %production policy cards?

No one ever researches and builds pikemen due to the dead end tech tree and lack of a policy card for building anti-cavalry.

It is a bit strange that with civic development you suddenly become worse at building wonders;)

Yes - the wonder production boosting policies should apply to the current era and all previous eras.

The obsolescence of policy cards are kind of annoying. Having too much Culture give you the cards earlier. I don't know if it's a balance issue to make

Maybe it's part balance, part intended for you to keep both trees "on par" (now it will be easier with era+ / era- minuses and bonuses).
I'd say it can be annoying but also not that strange if you consider that "civics" advance is you civilization citizens "mindset". Therfore, by the time you people think about Civil Engineering, they are thinking of a different type of buildings than the Castles and Temples of past dark ages: they have gone "out of fashion", and this is the reason it will not be easy to convince people to support building them (which, in some way, is what the policy is meant to represent). Nevertheless, the binary mechanism of losing the car immediately is annoying: I'd rather keep them with reduced eficiency for a while (either to be obsolete with a next tech, or with the next advance of age...) It would even might give a cooler look to the policies screen if some of the cards were already worn down (cards of older eras with reduced efficiency), while others new.

I like to build farms on hills, I don't know what you guys stance for farms on hills is. But sometimes I have to to complete my farming triangles. Sometimes I don't plan the best, in fact, nothing would be more boring to me than planning everything in my city at turn 1. I just go with the flow. So I do like civil engineering for farms on hills. Quicker builders is always nice as well.

Yes - the wonder production boosting policies should apply to the current era and all previous eras.
Yeah absolutely. Or at least provide some bonus, given we do kinda "loose" some skills over time.. ever met a stonemason? I haven't seen one of those for 3 decades.

Top Bottom