"Slipping" back into anarchy?

Formici

Chieftain
When I play on high difficulties, my happiness hovers around 50%, and after awhile my money just stops changing, (even if I should be bleeding money or gaining money). This is a sign of anarchy, but what I don't get is I'm in anarchy even though none of my cities are in panic. I have the republic bonuses for a few turns (increased trade, food and production) but it drops back to despot levels after a few turns. The game didn't say anything, can you just slip back into anarchy?

Just noticed that a few turns after I go into republic, there's an "anti-peace faction" then immediately I go into Anarchy.

Last edited:
Are you sure your government was republican and not democratic? What you describe only happens under democracy. If you are running a democratic government and one of your cities falls into disorder and then stays in disorder for more than one turn, the government will collapse into anarchy. Then, production bonuses are lost (cities produce like under despotism), no money or science is generated, no upkeep cost is paid, but nonrioting cities can still build things. I'm pretty sure you need to call for a revolution to get back to a proper government. You might need to wait a few turns before the game asks you what kind of government you want (if you don't use the save game exploit, that is).

I was a republican. I found out that you need to distribute luxuries, building markets and temples, so your cities won't be at unrest for more than 1 turn. This way, I never fell into anarchy, and there was no anti-peace faction.

Top Bottom