SMAC/X Customization - Help Needed

Avelon

Lord
Hey guys, I recently discovered this awesome game, and as always, I'm already itching to modify it. I want to build a customized faction, and for the most part, I've got that covered, but there are two minor difficulties I'm experiencing:

1.) I'm not sure how to convert the game's PCX files to an easy to edit format and back again. If there's a handy utility for this someone knows about, please share!
2.) It would seem I'd have to replace one of the factions to get mine to appear in-game. Using the facedit.exe function to add my faction to the game doesn't make it appear. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

There are some utilities at Apolyton.net that might come in handy. Plus a bit of forum searching will usually turn up pointers from the past.

Check out here: http://apolyton.net/smac/

See the 'Files' tab at the top: there are utilities in the listing after you go there.

Excellent! Thank you very much.

If you want to add a faction manually, you can do it by editing alpha.txt or alphax.txt. Just scroll all the way down to the bottom where it lists the factions, and remove one of the existing factions and replace it with your own.

The problem, I discovered, was that I was trying to add a faction and expecting it to show up in SMAC - it doesn't. It does, however, show up in SMAX.

Only obstacle left now is to edit the PCX files...still can't find a utility to convert, so I guess I'm gonna have to somehow acquire a high-powered editor like PSP or Photo Shop.

Top Bottom