So what if I don't want to get a religion?

Glassmage

The Desert Flame
Do I get compensated with more science if I choose to not pick ANY religion beliefs? How do I stop other religions and missionaries that want to make my city "religious"??? I hope the devs can answer this because not playing with religion is kinda ridiculous but it is still the player's choice.

Don't buy the expansion.
Don't build any religious buildings.
Build inquisitors (confirmed unit I believe) to rid of it.

What if the player doesn't want to build culture? Do the devs need to answer how the player can avoid building this systems also?

Not everyone gets a religion anyway, number of religions is limited to half the number of civs in game. Also, the effects of religion start to taper off in Rennaissance era when the spies come in.

Besides, if you want all the other new things in the expansion but just want to turn religion off I'm sure there is an advanced setting or something you can tick.

What if I don't want to play with war? What if I don't want to play with culture? These are game features that mimic history. Why is there such hostility to this?

Cutting out religion from your people sound weird. Just because you are the leader does not mean you can dictate what people believe.

These anti-religion posts are ridiculous and this is coming from an atheist who tends to think the spiritual aspect of religion does more harm than good these days. Like it or not mystical/spiritual beliefs have been a part of civilization since its inception and organized religion played a key role in allowing a modern western culture to that values free will and a balance of power between rulers and the governed to arise. Its obvious it plays or has played a very important role in South America and the Middle East as well. To top it off they phase out the importance of religion after the Renaissance. What is the big deal?

I, for one, would like to play a game without civilizations. When will the devs finally make this possible for god's sake?!

Now that I see this thread, I actually am curious if there will be a way to suppress religion, which would be interesting because that is a thing that happens. But there'd have to be some benefit to doing so, and I don't get the impression there is. I think it'll be like culture-- all good, no negatives. Maybe you'll be able to influence which religion spreads to you, but for you to be able to suppress religion altogether they'd need to make that an appealing option. If they do so I think it would be pretty cool to have that option.

Seems from what I have read if you don't build a shrine you won't generate faith, and therefore could ignore it all together?

But it would still spread into your lands...unless you had a policy of destroying every religious city within 10 hexes quickly.

But that sounds like a lot of work to avoid bonuses, might as well do what the leaders of the past have done and use it as a tool of control and productivity. :lol:

I think the idea is you create a religion that augments whatever victory path your pursuing. However, if early game you don't prioritize faith and are without your own religion you can probably invest in other buildings and units that will give you an advantage. Lets say your border cities convert to a neighboring religion and your invaded, any bonuses the enemy is getting from sharing faith with your own cities can probably be easily countered by a tech lead, tactics or more units your capable of fielding.

the point of this thread is not that he wants to take religion out of the game, but that he wants to be able to be an a-religious civ, which should have benefits, such as science output.

the point of this thread is not that he wants to take religion out of the game, but that he wants to be able to be an a-religious civ, which should have benefits, such as science output.

Why? Both you and the OP seem to be confusing the last 6,000 years of human history with the last 500. The game starts in 4,000 BCE. It is historically incorrect to think that there were any atheistic states or peoples before the modern era (note, I'm talking about groups not individuals). The game mimics the shift in religion to science by having the effect of religion dwindle once you reach the Renaissance. There is no real reason to allow you to be atheist from 4,000 BCE or to get a science benefit for doing so, especially since science and religion were intertwined for most of its early history.

Do I get compensated with more science if I choose to not pick ANY religion beliefs? How do I stop other religions and missionaries that want to make my city "religious"??? I hope the devs can answer this because not playing with religion is kinda ridiculous but it is still the player's choice.

as said by SpaceJesus

Found a religion. Name it Pastafarianism. Problem solved.

Or Atheism. Let's say Atheism for the benefit of the new explanation.

Choose beliefs you don't thing relate to religion (or relate to not having religion), such as scientific bonuses, florishing of the arts, etc.

Build a complete "Atheist Inquisition". Just purgue all those cities whose stupid citzens decide to believe in gods and not in Atheism.

If you feel so... build a Missionary army to spread the truth: that there is no God.

Take over the world with Atheism and you will be sure noone believes in god anymore.

Summing up

Jezz... you people should consider the fact, game-wise: Religion does not equal "God". Religion equals "Belief System". And atheism can be considered as big belief system as any religion, and in the same degrees (from integrist intolerance to personal choice, crossing "evangelization" in the middle). It may have no "organized church", but this is no prerequesite for other religions either.

No no no. I am not against turning off religion or anything. I'm asking if the devs compensate you for not playing with religion. This is just like you don't have to pick Piety policy. If you don't pick Piety does it mean your people are not religious??? If no one had a problem with NOT picking religious "Piety" tree before then so why start now?

Does religion always have to be dominant in a game or perhaps by circumstances, they all add up to a minor set of bonuses? Or by alternate circumstance, religion becomes very dominant, even till the end? Can these two extremes happen (I hope)? That's why quotes like "by Renaissance, religion will be on the decline at the expense of science" sounds scary for the main game. What if I and the AI opponents focus on science from the start, choosing to make religion irrelevant? What if I want to put a lot of effort into spreading my religion in order to get more gold/bonuses and keep it that way into modern? Don't tell me the main game will become like a scenario.

You will NEVER lose the bonuses from the religions, EVER, that's confirmed, the IMPORTANCE of religion will diminish, you won't be able to spread religion easily, and the diplomatic effect will decrease. that's it.

Top Bottom