Resource icon

Solitaire Sandbox 0.9 beta

MyopicCat

Chieftain
MyopicCat submitted a new resource:

Solitaire Sandbox - A peaceful SimCity-like game mode with almost no RNG. Play solo or challenge the world!

Solitaire Sandbox removes AI opponents, city states, barbarians and almost everything else with randomness in the game. The result is a peaceful solitaire game mode focused on economy building. Use it solo to improve the efficiency of your gameplay, or play an initial start you find online and compete against hundreds of other players in a contest purely determined by skill.

See this thread for a practice challenge, and compare your solution with that of other players. Can you reach...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
great concept!

There are many times where I just wanna empire build and the AI is just plain annoying ie forward settle.

Gonna have to try this out

Ok, I tried this out. Did not go as expected... LOL

Loaded it as the only mod pack, went into advanced settings but it was the exact same menu that we normally get. I turned off barbarians, chose warlord and left everything else as the defaults. Started the game... when the map loaded... I have no units. NO settler, no warrior or scout, and no revealed map. And the bottom right said "Please wait" and up in the upper right the turns and date were positively spinning. after a few minutes, it was up to 2200AD and 800 turns and still going. Was a little amusing, but most definitely not playable. I'm on a mac, so there's that?

Screen Shot taken fairly early in the turn-spin. :p
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lmu2gfrx0w0xey/Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 3.44.22 PM.png?dl=0

Ok, I tried this out. Did not go as expected... LOL

Loaded it as the only mod pack, went into advanced settings but it was the exact same menu that we normally get. I turned off barbarians, chose warlord and left everything else as the defaults. Started the game... when the map loaded... I have no units. NO settler, no warrior or scout, and no revealed map. And the bottom right said "Please wait" and up in the upper right the turns and date were positively spinning. after a few minutes, it was up to 2200AD and 800 turns and still going. Was a little amusing, but most definitely not playable. I'm on a mac, so there's that?

Uh oh, that is worrisome. The Advanced Settings screen should look just like usual until you select "Solitaire Sandbox" under Rulesets (the first dropdown menu on the right). When that is done No Barbarians should be the default selection. But since weird things happened when the game started I assume you already found the Ruleset setting. I guess it could be a Mac thing, I don't have access to one so I couldn't test the mod on OSX.

EDIT: I just uploaded three screenshots that show what the Advanced Settings menu should look like:
http://imgur.com/a/rssVB

EDIT 2: Would it be possible for you to try it again and upload a few log files somewhere? Or send me a PM and copy the text of the logs? I would need Modding.log, Database.log and Lua.log. On a PC the Logs folder is a sibling folder to the Mods folder, located here:
\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Logs

Last edited:
it's quite possible that it's my fault. I never changed the ruleset. I'll try again.
Nope, that wasn't it, my ruleset drop down doesn't have any option other than standard. And I did make sure that the mod was still selected. Oh well.

Nope, that wasn't it, my ruleset drop down doesn't have any option other than standard. And I did make sure that the mod was still selected. Oh well.
The mod has no chance of working if the standard ruleset is still selected. But I can't say why the modded rulesets aren't appearing for you. I'll try to borrow a Mac to figure it out, but that will probably take a couple of days. I'll send you a PM if I figure it out. Sorry for the trouble!

I can get an approximation by choosing a largish map and removing as many AI players as the game will let me. :)
Thanks for the reply

I can confirm this mod doesn't seem to work on a mac at the moment (I also have no alternate rulesets listed).

However, the Mac version still doesn't have the winter patch either, so it's probably not worth trouble-shooting until it's back in sync with the PC version (as that could theoretically be the entire cause).

@DanaLea and @bbbt: I tried to run Civ 6 on OSX inside a virtual machine on my PC. Although I never managed to actually start a game, I did get to the Advanced game setup menu and reproduce your problem. Or at least one of your problems - let's hope this is the only one. Apparently there is one table in one of the SQlite databases that has a different structure on the Mac version, very weird.

Could you please try again using the version of the mod attached to this post below? Delete the old version if it's still there and unpack into your mods folder like so:
/Library/Application Support/Civilization VI/Mods/Solitaire Sandbox/[13 files]

Don't forget to choose Solitaire Sandbox under Rulesets. Please let me know how it goes!

Attachments

• Solitaire Sandbox for Mac.zip
    34.6 KB · Views: 211
However, the Mac version still doesn't have the winter patch either

AH HA! Now I understand why I'm not getting some of the changes in my game that the winter patch provided... WHY ARE WE THE RED HEADED STEP CHILDREN OF THE COMPUTER WORLD? Argh.

Anyway, @MyopicCat, I downloaded the mac mod but can't try it until later on today, but I'll let you know if it works.

BTW, @bbbt, do you know if the DLC is working for us? I bought them both on steam but Poland isn't showing up in my list of civs.

It works! I was Cathy (random choice) on a solitaire map, goody huts on, barbs off, normal great people (not all, not none). I got three cities, and the game ended when I got to 30 total pop (will set that MUCH higher next game, maybe 100?). Ended at Turn 133 in 425AD. I got to Dan Quale. Meh.

Thanks for this ... Next time I won't have the map revealed, I like exploring.

edit: found the city state option... :)

Last edited:
BTW, @bbbt, do you know if the DLC is working for us? I bought them both on steam but Poland isn't showing up in my list of civs.

No, dlc and winter patch are coming at the same time (and cross platform multiplayer some time beyond that). Aspyr's twitter feed is generally the best source. For patches, they basically don't send them to Aspyr (the mac porting house) until they are complete on the PC, so they're always going to be a bit behind.

@DanaLea and @bbbt: I tried to run Civ 6 on OSX inside a virtual machine on my PC. Although I never managed to actually start a game, I did get to the Advanced game setup menu and reproduce your problem. Or at least one of your problems - let's hope this is the only one. Apparently there is one table in one of the SQlite databases that has a different structure on the Mac version, very weird.

Awesome, thanks! I'll give it a try tomorrow (it's bedtime for me now). It may have just been a change for the patch that hasn't propagated to mac yet (hopefully actually - as having different SQL structure on mac vs pc would make MODing a big issue!)

Do y'all know if city states will declare war on their own without an AI player to force them into it? I've got CS all over and they all have a lot of military.. and I don't really have any. Just wondering...

When I try to add 30 city states the games fails to generate any. Why isn't it working?

That probably means the game couldn't squeeze that many city states onto the map size you chose. (The actual placement is done using unmodded code that runs after my mod has done its thing.) Try a bigger map and it should be fine.

Has anyone tried playing this recently? Any chance of getting an updated one that works with R&F? (since solitaire is a ruleset, and so is R&F, solitaire will have to not use ruleset, kinda like Quo had to change his mod)

Firstly,

I LOVE this idea and thanks a ton for all the work you've put into making it a reality! I've always wanted to just build my civilization at a really casual pace and slowly expand. It sounds so relaxing!

Unfortunately, I have been unable to get a game started with the mod. I've never used a mod before so I know this is the only one I'm running. (I even disabled official DLC content just in case. I don't have R&F either!)

Everything goes smoothly until I try to start the game. I select "Solitaire Sandbox" from the Rule Set menu and then "Start Game"

upload_2019-7-12_18-39-22.png

It gives me the loading screen with whatever Civ it selected for me, and starts reading the intro bit. After a couple seconds it gives me the following screen:

upload_2019-7-12_18-35-53.png

I've included the contents of lua.log below:

DebugHotloadCache: GameDebug initialized!
Test: Test.LUA loaded!
JoiningRoom: OnFinishedGameplayContentConfigure() g_waitingForContentConfigure=true
Mods: Failed to create mods browser search context!
JoiningRoom: OnFinishedGameplayContentConfigure() g_waitingForContentConfigure=true
AdvancedSetup: There are 6 participating players.
AdvancedSetup: Building Game Setup
AdvancedSetup: Player Count Changed
AdvancedSetup: There are 1 participating players.
AdvancedSetup: Hiding Game Setup
LoadScreen: true
LoadScreen: false
GenerateRandomMap: Map Seed = 739717351
Map Script: Generating Continents Map
Map Script: Generating Plot Types
Map Script: Existing Ratio 26.857142857143
Map Script: New Mountains 4
Map Script: Mountaint Set 4
Map Script: Generating Terrain Types
Map Script: -
Map Script: - Desert Percentage: 25
Map Script: --- Latitude Readout ---
Map Script: - All Grass End Latitude: 0.1
Map Script: - Desert Start Latitude: 0.2
Map Script: - Desert End Latitude: 0.5
Map Script: - Tundra Start Latitude: 0.65
Map Script: - Snow Start Latitude: 0.8
Map Script: - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Map Script: Expanding coasts
Map Script: After Adding Hills: 87
Map Script: Map Generation - Adding Rivers
Map Script: Map Generation - Adding Lakes
Map Script: 2 lakes added
Map Script: Adding Features
Map Script: Number of Forests: 31
Map Script: Number of Jungles: 20
Map Script: Number of Marshes: 5
Map Script: Number of Oasis: 0
Map Script: Adding cliffs
Map Script: In NaturalWonderGenerator.Create()
Map Script: Placing 1 Natural Wonders
Map Script: Feature Type: 6, Valid Hexes: 77
Map Script: Feature Type: 7, Valid Hexes: 0
Map Script: Feature Type: 8, Valid Hexes: 12
Map Script: Feature Type: 9, Valid Hexes: 0
Map Script: Feature Type: 10, Valid Hexes: 0
Map Script: Feature Type: 11, Valid Hexes: 47
Map Script: Feature Type: 12, Valid Hexes: 2
Map Script: Feature Type: 13, Valid Hexes: 4
Map Script: Feature Type: 14, Valid Hexes: 0
Map Script: Feature Type: 15, Valid Hexes: 3
Map Script: Feature Type: 16, Valid Hexes: 18
Map Script: Feature Type: 17, Valid Hexes: 2
Map Script: Num wonders with valid location: 8
Map Script: Selected Wonder = 0, Random Score = 88
Map Script: Set Wonder with Feature ID of 6 at location (11, 13)
Map Script: In ResourceGenerator.Create()
Map Script: Placing resources
Map Script: Creating start plot database.
Runtime Error: bad argument #2 to 'func' (integer expected, got no value)
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'func'
C:\Users\devin\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\Solitaire Sandbox\AssignStartingPlots.lua:659: in function 'AssignStartingPlots:__WeightedFertility'
C:\Users\devin\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\Solitaire Sandbox\AssignStartingPlots.lua:328: in function 'AssignStartingPlots:__SetStartMajor'
C:\Users\devin\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\Solitaire Sandbox\AssignStartingPlots.lua:154: in function 'AssignStartingPlots:__InitStartingData'
C:\Users\devin\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\Solitaire Sandbox\AssignStartingPlots.lua:84: in function 'AssignStartingPlots.Create'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Maps\Continents.lua:107: in function 'GenerateMap'
[C]: in function '(anonymous)'
Lua callstack:
Runtime Error: Call to GenerateMap() had errors
stack traceback:
LoadScreen: OnLoadGameViewStateDone
GenerateRandomMap: Map Seed = -2144680672
Map Script: Generating Pangea Map
Map Script: 5 8
Map Script: 10 15
Map Script: 29 11
Map Script: - Mountains Transformed: 3
Map Script: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Map Script: After Adding Hills: 243
Map Script: 3 lakes added
Map Script: Number of Forests: 42
Map Script: Number of Jungles: 28
Map Script: Number of Marshes: 7
Map Script: Number of Oasis: 1
Map Script: Feature Type: 6, Valid Hexes: 43
Map Script: Feature Type: 8, Valid Hexes: 2
Map Script: Feature Type: 11, Valid Hexes: 16
Map Script: Feature Type: 12, Valid Hexes: 1
Map Script: Feature Type: 13, Valid Hexes: 2
Map Script: Feature Type: 14, Valid Hexes: 1
Map Script: Feature Type: 15, Valid Hexes: 4
Map Script: Feature Type: 16, Valid Hexes: 14
Map Script: Feature Type: 17, Valid Hexes: 0
Map Script: Selected Wonder = 9, Random Score = 79
Map Script: Set Wonder with Feature ID of 15 at location (13, 12)
stack traceback:
C:\Users\devin\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\Solitaire Sandbox\AssignStartingPlots.lua:659: in function 'AssignStartingPlots:__WeightedFertility'
C:\Users\devin\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\Solitaire Sandbox\AssignStartingPlots.lua:328: in function 'AssignStartingPlots:__SetStartMajor'
C:\Users\devin\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\Solitaire Sandbox\AssignStartingPlots.lua:154: in function 'AssignStartingPlots:__InitStartingData'
C:\Users\devin\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\Solitaire Sandbox\AssignStartingPlots.lua:84: in function 'AssignStartingPlots.Create'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Maps\Pangaea.lua:100: in function 'GenerateMap'
Lua callstack:
stack traceback:
GenerateRandomMap: Map Seed = -1726874860
Map Script: 6 13
Map Script: 13 9
Map Script: 22 5
Map Script: 23 9
Map Script: - Mountains Transformed: 4
Map Script: After Adding Hills: 218
Map Script: Number of Forests: 46
Map Script: Number of Marshes: 8
Map Script: Number of Oasis: 1
Map Script: Feature Type: 6, Valid Hexes: 61
Map Script: Feature Type: 7, Valid Hexes: 1
Map Script: Feature Type: 8, Valid Hexes: 11
Map Script: Feature Type: 11, Valid Hexes: 18
Map Script: Feature Type: 13, Valid Hexes: 0
Map Script: Feature Type: 15, Valid Hexes: 6
Map Script: Feature Type: 16, Valid Hexes: 29
Map Script: Feature Type: 17, Valid Hexes: 2
Map Script: Num wonders with valid location: 9
Map Script: Selected Wonder = 5, Random Score = 85
Map Script: Set Wonder with Feature ID of 11 at location (16, 6)
stack traceback:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Maps\Pangaea.lua:100: in function 'GenerateMap'
Lua callstack:
stack traceback:
GenerateRandomMap: Map Seed = -1306105348
Map Script: 7 5
Map Script: 12 2
Map Script: 14 16
Map Script: 16 9
Map Script: - Mountains Transformed: 4
Map Script: After Adding Hills: 230
Map Script: 1 lakes added
Map Script: Number of Forests: 43
Map Script: Number of Marshes: 7
Map Script: Number of Oasis: 0
Map Script: Feature Type: 6, Valid Hexes: 60
Map Script: Feature Type: 8, Valid Hexes: 7
Map Script: Feature Type: 11, Valid Hexes: 29
Map Script: Feature Type: 13, Valid Hexes: 2
Map Script: Feature Type: 15, Valid Hexes: 3
Map Script: Feature Type: 16, Valid Hexes: 17
Map Script: Feature Type: 17, Valid Hexes: 0
Map Script: Selected Wonder = 9, Random Score = 46
Map Script: Set Wonder with Feature ID of 15 at location (2, 9)
stack traceback:
Lua callstack:
stack traceback:

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? Thanks in advance, and again, awesome idea for a mod!

It's been two and a half years since this mod was made and it hasn't been updated for any update or patch. You aren't doing anything wrong, unfortunately, it's just a dead mod.

Top Bottom