Some Notes on Quick Civ

Spoonwood

Grand Philosopher
Note to moderators: I'm not sure this makes for the appropriate place to post this. If not, where should it go?

So a year or so ago I watched one of Suede's videos where he discussed the mod that people use for multiplayer. It's actually an old mod that comes with civ III, it just never seems to have gotten discussed around here, or I can't find those notes at least. I encourage people around here to give it a try! I've found it more enjoyable than the epic game for the most part lately, though I still wonder about the balance of some things.

If you go into civ-content, there's a scenario called Quick Civ or Quick Civilization. You can read the full description there, but I'll go over those points here, and more. The description there is also not entirely accurate. I've mostly played with some other changes. I changed the turn count back to 540 instead of 135. I also changed settler cost back to 2 citizens than 3 citizens.

1. It says that unit producing wonders produce units in half the time. I can't confirm that this works as said, and don't know if it means the Statue of Zeus and Knights Templar will produce units in 2 or 3 turns.

2. Food production of tiles and cultural production of buildings is doubled. This makes for an interesting change, since cities can grow much faster. The agricultural trait remains the same though. So, the agricultural trait though still useful for half-priced aqueducts is not as useful for the extra food for city growth. In my opinion, this makes the agricultural trait more balanced with other traits, and makes non-agricultural civs more appealing to play. Also, the description there is not entirely accurate. A coastal or sea square (without a whale) instead of producing 2 food, will produce 3 food. I find that more interesting, since it makes those tiles more unique.

3. Halved production cost for all units, improvements, and spaceship parts. I like this overall I think, because of the increased speed. Though, I think it makes things a bit less fine grained. Your city that produced 3 turn cavalry at 27 shields per turn, probably would produce 2 turn cavalry instead. Factories and power plants might not be quite as useful, though they have cut turns down on production in a huge game that I've played recently with Germany. So, it has it's upside and it's downside.

4. Halved research costs. I like this overall. There's also no 4 turn minimum research time (or maybe it's 2 turns?... I seem to remember seeing 1 turn research possibility), so this works out quite nicely, I think.

5. Halved golden age time. I haven't seen this. It does sound good though.

6. Maximum research time is 13 turns instead of 50 turns. This is a significant change that I like quite a lot. It makes it easier to keep up in tech on higher levels by picking the tech that the AIs won't research in the ancient age and then trading around. Also, doing decent speed research during an anarchy period is possible.

7. Workers work much faster. A regular worker can road a tile in 1 turn from the start, and mine in 2 turns. An industrious worker can road a tile in 1 turn from the start, and mine in 1 turn. This makes industrious workers not as powerful comparatively, though they still have advantages in planting forests or clearing jungle or marsh squares. Replaceable parts isn't as powerful since a double speed worker which had 1 turn work before the doubling, doesn't get as much benefit. But overall, I like this change.

8. Despotism no longer receives a tile penalty. This is huge! Two things on this, and both points I think make things better:

8a: If you've ever seen worker patterns of the AIs early, you probably have seen that they will irrigate grassland even while still in despotism. Of course, that's of no benefit to them. But, with the despotism penalty removed, they do or can get benefit from such improvements.

8b: You don't have to scout over starts or wander around looking for a cow or wheat or deer with agricultural tribes or get enough food bonuses with a non-agricultural tribe to get a speedy growth city. A river with some grassland and enough bonus shields can get you a speedy growth city with some nice irrigation. Starts with cows or wheats are still more powerful, since they have earlier growth. But, the power differential isn't as great, and this makes other starts, in my opinion, more attractive to play.

9. I think anarchy period remains the same? But, this makes religious tribes more attractive to play. So, if it's the same that the anarchy period remains the same, I kind of think that makes the traits more balanced.

I don't know how the commercial trait compares between quick civ and classic civ. It might be the same. Expansionist might more potentially useful at higher levels, since the AIs can research faster. The scientific trait is probably about the same. Seafaring is probably not as powerful, though I really don't know on that one. Militartistic is probably more useful as a trait, though I'm not sure on that one.

Accelerated production is still possible. I've tried it, but I don't quite like it. There's almost surely much more shield overrun, and with a 10 shield food box, a city doesn't even need a granary to grow every turn before size 6. I do think I understand why it makes sense for multiplayer though.

Again, I encourage anyone who hasn't, to give this scenario a try!

Last edited:
Perhaps this would fit in the C&C forum? Though it's not community content, but rather a Firaxis scenario? There is also a discussion forum about the 9 scenarios delivered with C3C.

Some of these rules definitely sound fun. But what I don't like is the Despotism change. For me, bee-lining for a proper government is one of the main goals of the early game. Looks like this rule more or less makes this super-fluent. Why bother going for a government? Weapons seem like the obvious choice. (I've played quite a bit of PBEM in the day, and against human players it was always a large question mark: can I risk bee-lining for Republic or will my neighbors go for swordsmen and horsemen meanwhile and run me over, before my Republic gets off the ground? Diplomacy and correctly guessing the trustworthiness of your neighbors was of the utmost importance in those games... Looks like this rule takes a lot of the fun out of this...)

Looks like this rule more or less makes this super-fluent. Why bother going for a government?

If you're going to change governments, ceteris paribus, it's better to do this sooner rather than later when your cities are smaller and less productive. If you're going to research or purchase tech later, republic is still strongly advantageous for the commerce bonus.

I don't mind at all if this thread or the other ones I've posted get moved, if they aren't suitable here.

Also, Lanzelot I checked in the editor. The flag that is set for the base game appears to be "standard tile penalty" for the despotism (and anarchy) penalty. That isn't checked in Quick Civ checking using the "no traits scenario", which I think just removes civ traits.

I see that there exist three buttons for war weariness. "None", "Low" and "High". Despotism has no war weariness. Republic has low war weariness. Instead of having a tile penalty, despotism could get changed to have high war weariness (this is the war weariness level of democracy) to motivate changing governments. I don't think it could have more corruption using the given buttons, since anarchy has catastrophic corruption, and thus despotism with catastrophic corruption would make the game rather crippled before a government change. There exist three buttons for forced production. Paid labour, forced labour, and cannot hurry. Another idea might lie in changing the worker rate. I see that it's 2 for despotism and republic, 3 for democracy, and 4 for fascism. And 1 for anarchy. If that were changed to 1 for despotism only, I I think that would also make for another way to motivate changing governments. So, one would have have workers just as fast as anarchy in despotism.

There exist some other settings that can get changed, but I'm not sure they could be as beneficial in motivating a better government as those. Perhaps, slower workers in despotism would be more interesting than the standard tile penalty. With the quick civ bonuses, they would still be faster than normal I think, but not quite as fast as in other governments.

Edit: I was thinking that high war weariness is a bit risky, since if I understand correctly, that could mean that if you experience certain conditions your government collapses like democracy does. I think that has to do with cities rioting do to war weariness? But, maybe that's more realistic? It would also demotivate warring under despotism, which won't work for always war players, but on the other hand, it's generally not recommend to go to war under despotism for unskilled players until they can handle the barbarians. And that can mean handling the hordes coming during an uprising. So, maybe high war weariness under despotism could be alright. Cannot hurry seems like another choice that might leave less skilled players out of luck in some situations. But again, maybe it's not so bad.

Last edited:
Concerning governments, in my eyes especially the differences between the "improved" despotism and monarchy are interesting. There are some other additional important differences that should be noted, among them especially, that the improved despotism still hurries production by forced labor, while monarchy hurries production by paid labor and improved despotism has a military police limit of 2, while monarchy has the limit of 3.

Despotism.jpg

Monarchy.jpg

All in all I think the "improved despotism" makes sense for multiplayer games to speed up the game, especially when starting the game and there is enough difference between the improved despotism and monarchy. Multiplayer games shouldn´t last as long as normal games to reduce the problem of human players falling out during the game. For normal games in my eyes much better solutions are existing.

There are some other additional important differences that should be noted, among them especially, that the improved despotism still hurries production by forced labor, while monarchy hurries production by paid labor and improved despotism has a military police limit of 2, while monarchy has the limit of 3.

I suppose that the military police limit could get reduced in despotism as another motivation to make it a weaker government.

For normal games in my eyes much better solutions are existing.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I read that Flintlock was working on having the AIs have better logic so that they wouldn't mine green in despotism. But, I didn't see a note in the descriptions that he had implemented that. Does the Flintlock patch have improved AI worker behavior in that respect at present? Were you referring to that, or other solutions?

I like the improved despotism, because it's faster. And it enables greater ease of finding a city site which can have high food production, and the extra food on coastal squares is an interesting add on. And the AIs aren't as silly. The AIs irrigating green in despotism is what annoys me most probably. I do agree with Lanzelot's point that enough motivation should exist for changing governments, and it becomes somewhat suspect with despotism without the tile penalty.

Thanks for your input here Civinator!

I think this thread belongs to the Civ 3 modding forum. The biq itself is a mod and this thread until now has its focus in the question what concepts of that mod could be changed to "beef up" this mod - and this is modding, too. :)

Modding in my eyes has three major components: Adding, changing and crippling. What of these methods should be used when modding a biq, belongs to the intended results, that should be achieved by that modding action.

The AIs irrigating green in despotism is what annoys me most probably

If the intended result should be to avoid irrigation of grassland by AI civs when being under the tile penalty of despotism, this can be achieved by several modding options:

1. You can use "crippling" and delete the tile penalty as it is done here.
2. You can "change" the worker job of irrigation to a later tech, when all civs normally are out of government despotism (as it is done in the RAR and RARR mods) or you can change the setting of grassland terrain (and plains) to have a higher or lower base level for producing food.

Flintlock has this problem on his list, but as far as I know, at present this is not yet implanted into his mod.

Some general thoughts:

As the settings of Civ 3 are very complex, a change in one of these settings frequently influences other settings of that game, too. Per example, what is the use of setting the minimum research limit to one, when the produced unit, that is allowed by such a tech that is researched in one turn, meets a unit that is several levels above that unit even when that unit only has to move three or four turns to attack the other civ. With other words, the units must have "enough air to breath" in the game and in my eyes this is a major factor when looking at this mod.

For multiplayer games, that are watching the big problem that these games frequently are not finished as some players are leaving the game due to several different reasons, there is a high focus to set these games short. On the other side this can influence other parts of the game that are loved by single-game players. Here for most of them there are Civ 3 mods available, that provide much more fun as it is provided by this mod. Of course the decision what is "fun" for a civ 3 player is a very subjective one.

I took a look at the standard editor some more. Firaxis changed the irrigation bonus in the terrain tab for each type of tile that can use irrigation from 1 to 2 it seems. So, if I understand correctly, if one took the default game, and changed the irrigate bonus from 1 to 2 for grasslands, that would make for another way for AIs, and the human player, to profit from irrigating grassland in despotism. This would also make it so that irrigation of grasslands is more powerful out of despotism also.

Come to think of it, if one just changes the Quick Civ mod to have the despotism penalty (it's called "standard tile penalty" in the editor), the AIs and the human player would still get a bonus from irrigating grassland. If one did that, getting to 2 turn growth without a granary or 1 turn growth with a granary might require a powerful cow/wheat/deer start or a large city. A regular grassland provides 4 food, so with the despotism penalty, an irrigated grassland should provide 5 food. 3 irrigated grassland tiles used at size 3 should result in a city with 3 turn growth, I think.

Other tiles would suffer the same loss of food penalty though also. Cities with plains would especially end up crippled relative to grassland cities (so maybe they should have 3 food for their tile value instead of 2?). Though, that would motivate government switching even more I suppose.

And despotic GAs would still be awkward...

QC is super fun! It's the only MP mod I play. I like it because you still fit all the usual civ stuff but in less time. I dont like going all out war or all out economy. So it offers a sort of balance. You do have to kill in MP, but you also have to build the economy to support and tech multiple eras. With everything able to do in just a turn or two, you dont have as much downtime as MP overall plays slower with turn times and unit moves. We dont use the base QC though we have our own modified version with additional changes for balance.

Now, this thread got me interested, and I also took a look at the Editor. And one thing I never really noticed in all my years of playing Civ3, is that Monarchy has a different corruption setting than Republic... :blush: ("Problematic" vs. "nuisance"). Does anyone know, how much of a difference this makes?

This could then perhaps provide another incentive for getting out of Despotism quickly: improve the corruption setting for all the other governments, i.e. move Monarchy from problematic to nuisance and Republic/Feudalism from nuisance to minimal (and remove Democracy, because as far as I can see, no one uses that anyway in "competitive" civing... Or: Democracy could be set to corruption=OFF -- that would make it really worth the investment, all the extra optional techs and the additional anarchy period...:D)

A bit off topic, while looking for the Quick Civ.biq I also noticed another one called "MPTournament.biq". That also looks like it has the intention of either making the game faster (so MP games get finished) or better balanced?

This could then perhaps provide another incentive for getting out of Despotism quickly: improve the corruption setting for all the other governments, i.e. move Monarchy from problematic to nuisance and Republic/Feudalism from nuisance to minimal (and remove Democracy, because as far as I can see, no one uses that anyway in "competitive" civing... Or: Democracy could be set to corruption=OFF -- that would make it really worth the investment, all the extra optional techs and the additional anarchy period...:D)

I was reading in some other thread about modding that corruption off doesn't work. I don't recall who last said that, and haven't tested it.

To test how much of a difference problematic vs. nuisance makes I guess one might play a mini-game on the same map on Chieftain with a settler cost of 1, maybe even lower shield cost for settlers. Change shield production for worker speed. Change Anarchy from catastrophic corruption to the corruption setting of Monarchy. Plant some a city or a few cities ... scratch this idea...

A simpler and less time consuming method would be to find some save with a religious civ from the HoF or XOTM database. I see that there are a few histographic games with the Celts. Here's a tiny one from Calis. A small one from Mad2rix. A huge one from Karl_t_great. A large one from Bartleby. A standard one from Khan_Asparuh. Then play revolting between Monarchy and Republic with some sort of analysis on how cities differ or how production differs, while trying to keep as much as one can constant (some cities might starve if looking at overall production and commerce... that probably could get counteracted by adding back pollution cleaners to such cities). Spaceship victories might be other saves that could be useful for comparison. I found a few Babylon victories. I found an Indian victory. 20k saves might also work... though I did one time disband all of my cities except my 20k city before winning once as a lark.

Then play revolting between Monarchy and Republic with some sort of analysis on how cities differ or how production differs, while trying to keep as much as one can constant
That idea can easily be implemented: just pick one of the above files, click on "revolt", play until the last turn of anarchy and then save the game. Now you can reload that save twice, hit enter, select Monarchy in one try and Republic in the other (both these games should now be absolutely identical except for the chosen government!) and then compare your income in F1 and your total production in the F11 screen.
(The F11 screen is a bit "inconsistent": commerce is given before corruption, while production is given after corruption... :crazyeye:)

I did this quickly with Calis' game from your link above:

Government | Income | Production
Monarchy|761|254
Republic|1053|257
Democracy|1071|262
Communism|1093|351

What can we see from these values?
In terms of income/research: Monarchy lags behind considerably, but not because of the difference between "nuisance" and "problematic", but rather because of the extra +1 commerce per tile that Republic/Democracy get. The reduced corruption of Communism is more or less counter-balanced by the +1 commerce for Rep/Demo.

In terms of production: "problematic", "nuisance" and "minimal" don't really matter... 3 more shields in a huge empire that Calis has here? Cmon forget about it...
But Communism really rocks. Compared to Monarchy, we have a Production increase of 38%!

All this is for a tiny map. Would be interesting to see the same numbers on other map sizes.

That idea can easily be implemented: just pick one of the above files, click on "revolt", play until the last turn of anarchy and then save the game. Now you can reload that save twice, hit enter, select Monarchy in one try and Republic in the other (both these games should now be absolutely identical except for the chosen government!) and then compare your income in F1 and your total production in the F11 screen.
(The F11 screen is a bit "inconsistent": commerce is given before corruption, while production is given after corruption... :crazyeye:)

Oh duh. Yea, then they we would have otherwise identical games.

Monarchy lags behind considerable, but not because of the difference between "nuisance" and "problematic", but rather because of the extra +1 commerce per tile that Republic/Democracy get.

Weird. Is there a unit support difference? In my histographic games I've had no unit support in republic by the end iirc, but perhaps he didn't disband much of his army?

I guess not since the production difference is similar. I have to wonder if there are many courthouses and police stations in cities? Don't mind me asking instead of checking for myself!

Oh... wait. I'm guessing now that almost all, if not all, cities have a "we love the king day" going on. That might skew things a bit compared to earlier, I suppose. But, I would think not for the differences.

For Karl_T_Great's huge save I had to make sure that the cities were no longer revolting after anarchy ended:

Monarchy 1020 AD: At 0% science and 10% luxuries. +1112 commerce from cities. +20 from taxmen. Income 1176. Expenses 1246. Entertainment -31. -584 corruption. -186 maintenance. -285 unit costs.

Republic 1020 AD: At 0% science and 10% luxuries. +1288 from cities. +0 from taxmen. Income 1332. Expenses 2039 (karl had units in every city it seems). -31 entertainment. -774 corruption. -894 unit costs.

I don't know how to compare production in the aggregate efficiently.

Karl only had 4 luxuries. The luxury slider would almost surely get used and more worked tiles. With more worked tiles (I'm setting worktiles by clicking on the city center in city screen), and 50% luxuries Entremont is finally happy. 1020 AD has

+1604 from cities. +4 from taxmen. 1652 income. 2510 expenses. -370 entertainment. -906 corruption. -186 maintenance. -894 unit costs.

Were you using civ II Lanzelot? Did any cities revolt during the anarchy period?

I was reading in some other thread about modding that corruption off doesn't work.

Corruption OFF gives a high corruption. In the last versions of the Flintlock patch, Flintlock posted that this now is fixed to provide no corruption as it should be.

A bit off topic, while looking for the Quick Civ.biq I also noticed another one called "MPTournament.biq". That also looks like it has the intention of either making the game faster (so MP games get finished) or better balanced?

MPTournament is used for "MPT" games and activated in MP when you switch the mode from Normal/Scenario to Tournament. It seems to be hard-coded to have a few extra benefits than other BIQs. It's a smaller map and has less water than other BIQs so less likely to get islands and overall more land.

Weird. Is there a unit support difference?
Yes, but I don't think it matters here: I calculated the total (non-corrupted) income, before anything like unit upkeep, building maintenance, science etc. was deducted. This can be done in F1 by taking the difference between "From cities" (=all commerce values of all cities summed up) and corrupted commerce:
income_after_corruption.png

I don't know how to compare production in the aggregate efficiently.
Production can easily be seen in the F11 screen. The value "Mfg. Goods" is the number of all "blue" shields in all cities:
F11.png

(This can be verified by going through the F1 list and adding up all blue (non-corrupted) shields:
production_list.png
)

As you can see, the value "GNP" in F11 corresponds to "From Cities" value in F1, which is the sum of all yellow (non-corrupted) plus all red (corrupted) coins in the city list.
This is what I mentioned in my previous post as the "inconsistency" of the F11 screen: the total income is given before corruption (all yellow and red coins of all cities added up), while the total production is given after corruption (only the blue shields of all cities added up, but not the red ones)... What else is to be expected from Firaxis... :crazyeye:

Were you using civ II Lanzelot? Did any cities revolt during the anarchy period?
No to both. In Calis' save, happiness was so high and there were so many specialists in all cities, that none revolted.

The very low commerce value of Monarchy can easily be explained by the fact, that both Republic and Democracy, get +1 commerce for every tile. For production, however, there is no such bonus for any government (each tile gets the same amount of shields in all governments -- if you don't count Despotism/Anarchy as governments) and this is reflected in very similar production values for all three non-communist governments. Showing that the influence of the different corruption levels (problematic/nuisance/minimal) can be completely neglected...
(Communism is very different. We see that the much lower corruption of communism yields a huge advantage for production and about equalizes the +1 commerce per tile bonus that Rep/Demo get.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom