Some Policy Cards should be for certain goverments only.

Haig

Deity
I think it would make Governments more unique, as each of them would have some Policy Cards that only it allow.

For example, the Policy Cards you get when researching Monarchy, would be suitable for Monarchy goverment only,

Maybe this has been discussed before, I think it would work.

I definitely like the idea of making governments more distinctive. A few, like Theocracy, have fairly distinctive identities and gameplay, but in general they don't do nearly as much to distinguish different strategies as Civ V's policy trees did. Creating links between government types and some of the policy cards is definitely one good way of adding distinction (I'd also enhance many of the base and legacy bonuses), though I might take the route of enhancing the effects of policy cards with "matching" governments, rather than forbidding them outright with others.

Hmm, interesting idea. This could work, supposed the Policy Cards were attached to the Government Type itself. I think in general the game could do with more Policy Cards, so an additional 1 or 2 cards per Government would be welcome, instead of taking away from the pool of cards available to all.

I have been thinking much the same, for quite a while.

Perhaps more modern forms of government might have one policy that they simply cannot have, but another policy card that is *enhanced* by that government. Like Theocracy might boost the effect of one of the religious policies, but Merchant Confederation might boost one of the policy cards related to Commercial Hubs....just as an example.

I'm not in favor of this idea because it ultimately just creates restrictions on what cards are optimal, thus limiting choice. I think my preference is that they make some of the lesser-used policy cards much more *interesting* so that the choices become more intresting.

I'm not in favor of this idea because it ultimately just creates restrictions on what cards are optimal, thus limiting choice. I think my preference is that they make some of the lesser-used policy cards much more *interesting* so that the choices become more interesting.

It may reduce the number of smaller individual policy choices (even that is debatable, as choosing between a policy that fits your circumstances and a policy that fits your government could be quite interesting). On the other hand, it choosing governments far more interesting, and I think that the game really needs more of these big choices to increase variability from game to game and fill the void left by Civ V's policy trees.

I'm not in favor of this idea because it ultimately just creates restrictions on what cards are optimal, thus limiting choice.

Actually, I like it for the same reason. Right now, almost all the choices in the game (and, for that matter, in Civ V) are a variation on What's The Best Advantage? There are no negatives other than not choosing, whereas in reality there are distinct advantages and disadvantages to every form of Government and most Policies. There are also Policies and Governments that go 'hand in hand' and that Advantage by Relationship should be included as well.

If I want to switch from Merchant Confederation to Theocracy I should lose something as well as gain something, making it a real choice based on my individual Game Circumstances.

I think they have to cancel the free change issues. Like C4, you shall pay sth. to change a policy card, like turns of revolt for changing governments, as well as an amount of money for changing policies. Under current situation there're too many chances to change your policy cards so that some 1-turn use card (like -50% upgrade) becomes extremely strong since we don't have to maintain them in our policy cards but can benefit fully from them.

I think they have to cancel the free change issues. Like C4, you shall pay sth. to change a policy card, like turns of revolt for changing governments, as well as an amount of money for changing policies. Under current situation there're too many chances to change your policy cards so that some 1-turn use card (like -50% upgrade) becomes extremely strong since we don't have to maintain them in our policy cards but can benefit fully from them.

Pretty sure that, unless you've finished researching a Civic, you have to pay a cost to replace policy cards.

Pretty sure that, unless you've finished researching a Civic, you have to pay a cost to replace policy cards.

The issue is that there are 51 civics, so you have 51 chances to change your civic for free very frequently. Usually your finish the civic tree in ~150 turns, so you can change roughly once every 3 turns. Some of the policis only need 1 turn of placement to make its full use, this free change mechanism made these policies too strong(since they do not take your slot except for that particular turn). I think they shall change it so that you cannot change them easily.

Last edited:
The issue is that there are 51 civics, so you have 51 chances to change your civic for free very frequently. Usually your finish the civic tree in ~150 turns, so you can change roughly once every 3 turns. Some of the policis only need 1 turn of placement to make its full use, this free change mechanism made these policies too strong(since they do not take your slot except for that particular turn). I think they shall change it so that you cannot change them easily.

Yep - it's way too easily to bypass an earlier civic, so that it will research in 1-2 turns later in the game when you need it to change policies.

Maybe if each policy card was forced to stay for at least 5-10 turns? Like how you can't move great works within a few turns of getting them in a city, if a policy card had to stick around for 10 turns would make certain decisions a lot more interesting. Right now, I can be running the -1 or -2 maintenance, and then give that up for 1 turn to upgrade a single archer, and that's a net benefit to me virtually regardless of how big my army was. But if I was forced to run it for 10 turns, then it might actually turn into a tough decision.

Yep - it's way too easily to bypass an earlier civic, so that it will research in 1-2 turns later in the game when you need it to change policies.

Maybe if each policy card was forced to stay for at least 5-10 turns? Like how you can't move great works within a few turns of getting them in a city, if a policy card had to stick around for 10 turns would make certain decisions a lot more interesting. Right now, I can be running the -1 or -2 maintenance, and then give that up for 1 turn to upgrade a single archer, and that's a net benefit to me virtually regardless of how big my army was. But if I was forced to run it for 10 turns, then it might actually turn into a tough decision.

My opinion is
Cancel the free change issue, or at least make the chances for free changes down from 51 to 3~5. E.g., you can change your policy for free when you enter Classical,Renaissance,Modern, Information era, or at turn 40,80,120,160. You must pay money when you wish to change policy cards, your nation must go UNREST when you wish to change government, like C4.

It's weird that changing governments do not cause the Civ to go into unrest.

This makes money more useful in early games and forces you to place those cards wisely and do not abuse changes.

Last edited:

Ney, I enjoy the puzzle and planing game very much. For example to mini-max your plan to invade another you have to decide when you denounce the other Civ for the cassus belli; decide how many units you should build/pay before the replacement is researched; decide how many units you want to upgrade after the availability of the replacing unit and save two civics almost finished explored so you can switch your government and cards to a war government the turn after you upgraded your units and declare war. CHUCKA:D

Top Bottom