[GS] Some thoughts on global warming.

I'd like to be able to scale how many tiles are vulnerable to sea level change.

My guess is that the community will have wildly different preferences on how severe they want this aspect to be. Giving players more control sounds like a good way of making everyone happy...

Looking at the news today about climate change protests got me thinking that a substantial to massive amenity penalty might do the trick. Linked to how far along the global warming is and how much (co2, chopping, etc) a civ has contributed to it.
I'm a noob when it comes to modding so no idea if this could be done that way?

Currently no late game thing actually matters (other than victory conditions) and to change global warming into a loss condition would actually make it matter alot more but giving too Heavy penalties could mean players will simply skip on Power plants which is not an ideal solution.

Currently no late game thing actually matters (other than victory conditions) and to change global warming into a loss condition would actually make it matter alot more but giving too Heavy penalties could mean players will simply skip on Power plants which is not an ideal solution.

Currently no late game thing actually matters... I am finding this to be true. This is a pretty intense slam on the game. Maybe civilizations should each start out with 4 cities? That way the huge imbalances due to initial locations would be somewhat mitigated.

I think of a new unit akin to rock bands, called climate activists. They can be purchased with faith, have to be named (,Greta') and go around into other civs shutting down industrial zones and reducing loyalty. They also produce culture via memes (50 cp).

It may be the case that a completely flooded planet is unrealistic (pace JG Ballard) but if my memory serves me aright, the end-Permian mass extinction (which was due to the planet over-heating) wiped out about 96% of all species. Game-wise, you could have successive "events" each of which removed one food from all tiles (and from buildings that provide food). That would have about the right effect, and certainly get everyone worried, even if they had settled well away from floodable coastal times.

Currently no late game thing actually matters... I am finding this to be true. This is a pretty intense slam on the game. Maybe civilizations should each start out with 4 cities? That way the huge imbalances due to initial locations would be somewhat mitigated.
Which is a problem in pretty much all 4x games, players will simply have snowballed too much for the lategame to be anything other than a showoff.

Top Bottom