Strange SDK/ModBuddy issue

Kurouma

Chieftain
Hi. I just decided to get into modding recently and downloaded the SDK from steam.

I managed to get everything running fine. The download prompt for MS Visual Studio appeared, I installed it, no hassles.

I can run the SDK and get into the map editor, and I can run ModBuddy. ModBuddy opens without any problems.

HOWEVER, when I go to create a new empty mod, I get an issue. I am prompted to choose a save location for the project, progress to the next popup, can enter a name and description for the mod, but when I press 'Create', an error popup appears.

This popup says that the new project cannot be created because the "Empty Mod.civ5proj" file is missing from ModBuddy's AppData files.

I thought that this might just be a dummy file, which only needs to exist (but doesn't need to contain anything), so I created a new empty file in the right folder and renamed it "Empty Mod.civ5proj"

This *changed* what the error message is, but didn't resolve the issue - now the error is "The project file could not be loaded. Root element is missing. C\Users\(myname)\AppData\Local\Temp\5iyfgr5l.zda\Temp\(modname).civ5proj"

I'm guessing that the file "Empty Mod.civ5proj" is meant to contain the template information for creating a new mod and just having an empty file with the right name doesn't cut it, hence the new error saying that the root element of the new project doesn't exist - "Empty Mod.civ5proj" wasn't there to tell it how to make it.

Does anybody know what I should do? Ideally, can anybody just give me the .civ5proj file I need and hopefully this fixes the problem?

Thanks,
Kurouma

P.S., I've reinstalled both the SDK and MS:VS several times. No change.

You should have an "Empty Mod.zip" file (which contains the .civ5proj file) in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK\ModBuddy\ProjectTemplates\Civilization 5"

Does the login that you're running ModBuddy from have permission to read that location/file?

Legendary. I found the folder in steamapps, unzipped to the required location, and everything is working perfectly so far.

I have an SSD with my OS, that's for fast boot times, but my actual hard drive is drive D. Could it be that ModBuddy is hard-wired to look on the C drive? That could have been the issue.

Thanks so much for helping me. You'll get a special mention in my first mod ;)

Top Bottom