Striking N.Korea first?? smart?

It's the word 'first' in the thread title that gives tha game away. As far as I know, NK does not want to attack Japan.

I heard today that Vietnam is building another nuclear reactor:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-10/19/content_3648626.htm

I know what you're thinking "WTF, Vietnam has a nuclear reactor already!"

Indeed they have and the US says zero on the subject.

Others have posted on the unpopularity of the Japanese in Asia and this shouldn't be underestimated. They have an absolute arse for a President and will no doubt use any excuse to remilitarise. The US and UK are encouraging this as they want to play a foul on China.

boarder said:
So is this the general consesus amongst asians?
If so I didnt realize that Japan was still so disliked in the region, i knew they where but not to this extent.
And it adds another aspect that I didnt really consider.

It isn't the consensus, but you can be sure many are wary of both Japan and North Korea

Both South Korea and China have territorial disputes with Japan, apart from other complicated issues such as Japanese denial of WW2 atrocities in SK and China, and are not going to be thrilled to bits that Japan has decided to become more aggressive and assert itself in the region with a pre-emptive strike.

I think Chinese and SK reaction would have put a lot of cold water on any plans of a 'pre-emptive strike' on North Korea...

allhailIndia said:
Both South Korea and China have territorial disputes with Japan, apart from other complicated issues such as Japanese denial of WW2 atrocities in SK and China, and are not going to be thrilled to bits that Japan has decided to become more aggressive and assert itself in the region with a pre-emptive strike.

I think Chinese and SK reaction would have put a lot of cold water on any plans of a 'pre-emptive strike' on North Korea...

Well the thing is neither China, SK, nor Japan have it in their mutual interests to have a North Korea with nuclear capabilities on their doorsteps. So it's the lesser of the two evils here.

Xenocrates said:
It's the word 'first' in the thread title that gives tha game away. As far as I know, NK does not want to attack Japan.

I heard today that Vietnam is building another nuclear reactor:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-10/19/content_3648626.htm

I know what you're thinking "WTF, Vietnam has a nuclear reactor already!"

Indeed they have and the US says zero on the subject.

Others have posted on the unpopularity of the Japanese in Asia and this shouldn't be underestimated. They have an absolute arse for a President and will no doubt use any excuse to remilitarise. The US and UK are encouraging this as they want to play a foul on China.

What can the US do about Vietnam having a reactor, it has borken no laws in using nuclear fuel for energy? I don't understand why they should care, I'm assuming they have enrichment facilities that enable them to produce ebriched Uranium at levels usable for power and not enough to enrich it beyond that right, like Iran, the US never gets involved in countries using nuclear fuel for peaceful means right?;) Besides it's not like there going to invade again.:p :)

I'm not sure about your closing statement, the US is perfectly capable of playing foul with China without help from Japan, I'm not sure Japan having a military would necessarily increase any foul play at all, Japan attacking China or making threats would be as silly as North Korea threatening the US.

Top Bottom