Striking N.Korea first?? smart?

Vietcong

Deity
ok, so the thread about japan planing to atack n. korea fist got boged down in wheather japan should be alowed to have a millitary or not, i decited to make a new one. ABOUT the subject, not about japans millitary.

lets just say, the us or japan dose strike with bombing some millitary facilitys in n. korea.
i got some questions..

1, How whould kim, and n. korea respond??
2, whould a strike on n. korea promote them to lunch an invasion of south korea??
3, how, if a bombing of facilitys esxalated into full scale war, whould a ground war go??

n. korea, haveing poorly trained, but very large millitary chould end up being a hell of a mess. ecpecaly for the south koreans.
lets allso rember, that north korea has more arty guns then stalin did during ww2. over half of them are pointed to the s. korea capital city..

allso, what if n. korea dose have 2 nuclear missels?? what if the instalations hit by an strike are the wrong ones, and the n.koreans use them aginst the the s.k. capital or tokyo??

im concered that if thear is a strike it will be a total disaster.

Vietcong said:
ok, so the thread about japan planing to atack n. korea fist got boged down in wheather japan should be alowed to have a millitary or not, i decited to make a new one. ABOUT the subject, not about japans millitary.

lets just say, the us or japan dose strike with bombing some millitary facilitys in n. korea.
i got some questions..

1, How whould kim, and n. korea respond??

Nohow, he would be dead.

2, whould a strike on n. korea promote them to lunch an invasion of south korea??

Hardly, if it was Japan who attacked them. I think they would just launch their missiles on Japan.

3, how, if a bombing of facilitys esxalated into full scale war, whould a ground war go??

DPRK would be defeated in a matter of weeks. Their army doesn't have a fuel to keep moving. After few days, they would exhaust their fuel tanks and then, they would be sitting ducks to the US airforce. Of course, they wouldn't have a chance even if they had the fuel, simply because their armed forces are hopelessly obsolete. I think they would resort only to terror strikes at Japan and South Korea using their missiles and artillery, at until these weapons would be destroyed by allied airforce.

n. korea, haveing poorly trained, but very large millitary chould end up being a hell of a mess. ecpecaly for the south koreans.

South Korea has a pretty strong army, quite capable of bringing North Korea down alone.

lets allso rember, that north korea has more arty guns then stalin did during ww2. over half of them are pointed to the s. korea capital city..

allso, what if n. korea dose have 2 nuclear missels?? what if the instalations hit by an strike are the wrong ones, and the n.koreans use them aginst the the s.k. capital or tokyo??

im concered that if thear is a strike it will be a total disaster.

For North Korea, yes. For the West and Japan only if China decided to intervene.

It's that 'first' that leaps out. Striking first is often wise, if you were going to be struck. But a preemptive strike is very hard to justify later; because you'll always be second guessed.

The only time that striking first was the obviously superior choice was AFTER you'd been struck first.

The main problem here imo is acceptable casualties,(not NK but SK,Japan,States etc) and in this case no one is sure of how far NK would go as far as a response to being attacked.
There is no question that the North could be easily overrun but they could do a lot of damage before they go down.
To begin with lets assume that they do have nuclear weapons, and can fit them onto wareads, well straight away SK and Japan are at risk of losing millions of people and almost a scorched earth afterwards. Its been calculated that they have produced enough for about 4-6 bombs so far, and the high population centres in Japan and SK make for a tempting target no doubt.
But thats a pretty big assumption, so Ill go with what are facts, NK presently have 10 000 artillery aimed at Seoul and could completely destroy it within half a hour, and kill about 3 million people. That initself would be a unacceptable risk for SK.
They also have a lot of missiles that they could easily fire towards Japan and America would not be able to bring them all down.
Then there is the question of China and what there reaction would be,as I dont see them wanting a Japenese or American satellite state in the place of NK. And IIRC they have plans to quickly invade through the country and secure it should NK be attacked, or at least they did when NK announced they had been enriching uranium all along.
So no I don't think its smart to attack them and therfore don't believe it would happen.

Bright day
As others have said before me, problem with NK is it holds Seoul hostage.

I'd imagine NK's long range capabilities would be rendered moot by a large enough first strike action. But after that, an invasion would be untenabe by any standards. Chinese intervention is pretty much certain, and NK would be able to hold the line until relief arrived without much trouble even with airforce/artillery/missile capability wiped out.

And then there's rebuilding the country. Who's gonna pay for that? NK is already utterly bankrupt. A war would destroy all infrastructure. Attaching NK to SK would effectively annihilate the SK economy - and that's even without a war.

SK's present agenda is the best idea: improve NK's international position, get it to open up, build the SK economy and keep the supply of aid to the north until the north's government decides to improve things.
This plan has a major weakness in that it relies on the benevolence on Kim-jung-il. However, there is no alternative. Blowing NK tom pieces won't help anyone.

Let Japan do the preemptive strike. We've got our hands full trying to secure our oil supply.

Dreadnought said:
SOUTH KOREA? :rotfl: They'd be happy for the end of North Korean missles! :lol:

Before or after NK artillery moonscapes Seoul?

What do Americans know anything about asia? If Japan first strikes N.Korea. South Koreans will be in an outrage, if Japan dares to invade korea, there will be a coalition against Japan.

Shaihulud said:
If Japan first strike North Korea, South Korea and China might declare war on Japan.
Thats why Japan better think it over very carefully first;) Seriously, this is primarily Japans problem, we should step back and tell them to take care of their backyard. We really do have our hands full at the moment.

Also, Japan doesn't enjoy a very good image in East Asia and any Japanese intervention will be met with immediate Chinese retaliation and Korean outrage...

Already Japan is much more hated than the USA in that part of the world, and a pre-emptive strike is the last thing that would improve their image...

Image is important, but when youre faced with the prospect of nuclear annihilation, image goes out the window and you do what you have to do to prevent it. If Japan feels that theyre in danger from a NK nuclear strike, they should take whatever steps are necessary to insure that it doesnt happen.

Also, Japan doesn't enjoy a very good image in East Asia and any Japanese intervention will be met with immediate Chinese retaliation and Korean outrage...

Already Japan is much more hated than the USA in that part of the world, and a pre-emptive strike is the last thing that would improve their image...
If Japan first strikes N.Korea. South Koreans will be in an outrage, if Japan dares to invade korea, there will be a coalition against Japan..

So is this the general consesus amongst asians?
If so I didnt realize that Japan was still so disliked in the region, i knew they where but not to this extent.
And it adds another aspect that I didnt really consider.

If Japan attacked North Korea, China might ally with North Korea. Other than that, North Korea would be fighting South Korea, the US, and Japan. North Korea will lose, and overall millions will die. You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs, afterall.

Why does people assume that the U.S.A would play a part in Japan foreign adventures and that South Korea would align themself with Japan? I think we should look at the priorities of each nation before making unwise decision. I don't think Japan would first strike N.Korea, the last time they did something like that was their greatest mistake.

Anyone advocating military action against North Korea should move to Seoul and see if they still feel the same way.

And I would agree that if Japan was to attack North Korea, which it is not in a position to do in any case, they would have to fight their way through South Korea first, followed by China.

Top Bottom