Succession Game Coordination Thread

What are your preferences?

• Total voters

Prof. Garfield

Deity
Supporter
EDIT: I've Started a second version of this thread. Please vote there.

The purpose of this thread is to find out how much interest there still is in succession games, and to attempt to prevent their slow death.

Recent succession games have been played at high levels by great players, but their availability has been dwindling. I'm interested in finding out if there are players out there who would be willing to play if the game is at a lower level, and also if there are players who only want to play at higher levels. I'm hoping that a succession game can be devised to appeal to a large number of players, so that we can juggle the playing order and speed up the game.

Explanation of choices:

Highest Level (Warlord to Deity Plus) (1-5)

Choose the highest level of difficulty at which you would be willing to play.

Lowest Level (Warlord to Deity Plus) (6-10)

Choose the lowest level of difficulty at which you would be willing to play.

Regular Availability (0 games to 2 games) (11-13)

Choose the number of games to which you could commit to being a regular player at the same time.

Potential Substitute (Yes to No) (14-15)

In addition to the number of games for which you can be a regular player, would you be able to substitute in another game from time to time (if all their players can't play, and would like the game to move forward)?

Version (Classic Only to Indifferent) (16-20)

Which version can you play? A "preferred" version means you can play both, but have a preference for one of them.

I'm in.
I generally don't play to obtain the highest score.
I prefer a game for fun, so late landing is my preference. Late conquest is another option albeit only once every 5-7 games for me.
Of course it's nice to have a high score at the end but I try not get too crazy over how to make a perfect move every turn.
Also I'm still working on mastering the diplomacy (allies, gifts etc.) and trade aspects of the game.
I've played tens of games with SSC and demo/rep super growth with WLTK/P but I often play as isolationist with internal trade unless a decent peaceful civ is close around.
I rarely play on deity since it's a taxing game with ai so overpowered it's annoying.
I prefer king but again, deity is an option too and I've completed several landing games on this level of difficulty.
I like to manipulate AIs - pay one civ to attack it's ally and ruin the whole web of alliances resulting in wars that affect all but me, while I grow more powerful and more advanced.
I guess it's the way AIs work - when I'm the most powerful civ, they sign up alliances to "contain" my power.
I've seen how in some succession games you guys played as the weakest civ in order to reap allies' benefits and tech gifts, but I just don't like that kind of game play.

Other than that, I'm eager to play just about anything, anytime.

I generally don't play to obtain the highest score.

I can't think of any succession game that made a decision based on final score. Typically, the games are played for the fun of building, until someone decides it might be fun to go on a conquest (usually when the civ is set up well, or there is a great opportunity).

Of course it's nice to have a high score at the end but I try not get too crazy over how to make a perfect move every turn.

You may find that trying to optimize your play is much more fun in a succession game than in a regular game. In a succession game you get 10 turns to do what you want (instead of all the turns), so part of the fun comes from making the most of your turns. The 10 turn period also limits your time horizon substantially from a regular game, so your future becomes the next 10 turns and putting the next player into a good position. This is a much less daunting task than ordinary civ 2 planning.

Also I'm still working on mastering the diplomacy (allies, gifts etc.) and trade aspects of the game.

A succession game is a great way to learn; you can't get more specific advice for a situation than in a succession game. There are competing priorities in a civ2 game, and you can see how different people rate them in different situations.

I've seen how in some succession games you guys played as the weakest civ in order to reap allies' benefits and tech gifts, but I just don't like that kind of game play.

That kind of play is a consequence of the level of difficulty that was played, where it was not possible to grow faster than the AI. I don't remember a game where the players delayed growth for extra gifts.

I rarely play on deity since it's a taxing game with ai so overpowered it's annoying.
I prefer king but again, deity is an option too and I've completed several landing games on this level of difficulty.

The level we'll play at remains to be seen. It may depend on the preferences of other players to sign up.

I don't think you would find deity quite so bad in a succession game with several players accustomed to that level.

I'll probably give it a couple more weeks before I start a game.

*raises hand*

While I am fairly new to the forums, I am not new to CFC and definitely not new to the Civ2 game.
I usually try to play an aggressive expansionist game, trying to get a lot of cities very quickly, and switching to Repu/Demo, Mikes/Bach, WLTPD, maybe destroy a civ close by in order to expand, etc etc. Making a ''perfect move'' is not exactly my greatest strength... but we are all here to learn.
The same can be said about setting up an elaborate trade network in the early game, and also the diplomacy aspect (although having MGE, like I do, downplays the diplomacy aspect quite a bit, so not as important as in 2.42)
I am more used at playing on Deity (having an extra settler helps early expansion, in my opinion) but I can handle anything that is not D+.

I will try to be available whenever I can, but I do have other obligations... but I will still give my best to meet expectations.

There's really no need to worry too much about your skills not being up to some standard (which you are probably imagining to be much higher than it really is). Almost everyone here has indicated that they are willing to play at warlord level, i.e. they are more than happy to play with less skillful players.

I will try to be available whenever I can, but I do have other obligations... but I will still give my best to meet expectations.

We all have other obligations. You should have priorities higher than playing civ 2, and everyone understands this. If possible, let us know if you'll be unavailable to play your turns, and someone else may hop in to play the turns.

Jokemaster, you didn't indicate a version preference. Can you only play MGE, or can you play classic as well?

Yeah I'm waiting too, I'm up for a game anytime. Lets just hope it will be a fruitful participation rather than a discrete sabotage ;)

I was not 100% sure about what that precise question meant, so I left it out because I was afraid I could unintentionally give out imprecise information. Forgot to mention that in my last post. *facepalm* Sorry!
And to answer said question: I only have MGE installed. While I do know that my Civ2 life would be MUCH easier if I had Classic (due to the AI being much more cooperative) I am still not wiling to swap for 2.42 because I would like to keep MP capabilities.

I might be able to. I also have MGE only.

I'd prefer higher levels of difficulty (low levels would just be a massacre if elite players were there). I guess that would mean we would have to use deity. I might not be as good at optimizing some of the complex things like knowing which years governments will switch and which civ my tech costs depends on but having played the game since close to when it came out, I can probably hold my own ;)

I don't suppose anyone knows how to fiddle the difficulty level in a saved scenario - maybe there would be a possibility of custom levels for various people depending on their experience.

PS. arrgh should have read the instructions before voting..hehe
I mean I could play warlord (although that doesn't sound exciting) to deity with restrictions.
1 game at a time
Yes could be an alternate (might even prefer that since I'm not 100% on when i will have time and I hate to dissapoint)
MGE only

I've started a second version of this thread here, which should be clearer, and prevent voting mistakes. Everyone can vote again, and vote what they should have voted the first time.

It also includes some extra information located conveniently in the first post.

I do realize I could have been much clearer, which is reflected in the fact that about 30% of voters didn't use the poll in the manner I expected them to. Well, live and learn.

Top Bottom