1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion for Featured Game 4

Discussion in 'Strategy Forum' started by Gamewizard, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Presuming everything else being standard, map type has a relatively significant impact on Korea, because the Turtle Ship can't enter deep water. A Pangaea map would totally negate this, so I would vote against one. I've enjoyed the Continents Plus maps lately, and they provide a nice balance for Korea, in that it's technically possible to encounter all the AI and CS while never leaving shallow water, but obviously much more difficult than sailing in a straight line. However, you may not have that DLC. (If I recall, others don't need it once a map is created.)

2. void_genesis

void_genesis Prince

I think in perfect world map script there is an option for everyone to start on the biggest continent together. This would help Korea meet the other civs (though we know who is on the map if it is all DLC). It also leaves plenty of opportunity for late game city settling overseas, which is a good test of this being improved in VEM (plus lots of fun and a bit of an advantage for the human who can consciously explore and settle).

3. Txurce

Txurce Deity

I've never tried that. I assume that if all 8 civs are on the same continent, then the continent's size will be expanded accordingly. If not, that could be a major factor leading to frequent, early war. I like the idea of Korea being the Hermit Kingdom to some degree, but am open to this approach. It also occurred to me that, if you have the time, you could reload until you found a start location that makes sense for Korea. This wouldn't give you *the game creator) any advantage over others.

4. void_genesis

void_genesis Prince

Starting together on a crowded largest continent is heaps of fun as it leads to lots of early wars but usually prevents one expansive civ from running away with lots of space. Korea's apparent playstyle suits this start- a scientific edge allows it to get ocean crossing vessels sooner and its warfare style favors defense over offense.

I'll probably look at a few start locations randomly generated with perfect world until I find something balanced (coastal with a mix of food/production/luxury) and run from there. I don't want the "disadvantage" of knowing what the map looks like- I love the thrill of exploration and adapting to challenges as they arise as much as everyone else!

I should have the map up in another 8 hours.....

5. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

The one time I did select the "start on one continent" box I was surrounded by four AIs (caps within 15 tiles) and absolutely murdered. However, this was just after the patch that introduced the early rushes - and I was less equipped to deal with them - on emperor and I was close to Monty! :lol: (I'm pretty sure the 'script has been altered since then to give a larger landmass to the main continent.)

So chances are it won't be so bad as that, but it may be worth starting a few maps to see what turns up, void_genesis.

6. void_genesis

void_genesis Prince

It looks like Thal wants to continue the GOTM series in a bit when the game core is opened for modding, so perhaps we should just call the upcoming game just a shared all DLC grudge match....

I think being on King should make early rushes manageable as well, but i will play fifty or so turns in to check the start isn't too crowded.

Nice to see Seek is still keen to play as well!

7. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Emperor

I will probably give it a shot...eventually. I just got Zelda, Terraria, Plants vs Zombies, and Rage...so Civ V playtime has been reduced for now.