1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sven's Europe

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Custom maps' started by SvenJJ, Aug 17, 2011.

1. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

OBTW, any chance of getting the volcano (Thera) moved to Italy where it can represent Vesuvius as an active volcano wonder? Seems to me to be better use of it since Thera's eruption pretty much devastated the local civilizations (i.e. removing them from play) and negated it as an active volcano. Another alternative place would be in Sicily to represent Etna or Stromboli...but I think as Vesuvius would be best.

2. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

Unfortunately the Volcano graphics works only when it's surrounded by water.

3. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

:blush: I knew that! :old: :hammer2:

OK so I just modded Mt. Kalish in there instead. :goodjob:

4. jk_bonn

jk_bonn Chieftain

I like this map! :goodjob:

5. SvenJJ

SvenJJ Chieftain

Looking into adding custom city states right now but having a little bit of problem with the modding. If any experienced eyes want to take a look I'd greatly appreciate it. I created a thread in the main customization forum for greater exposure, it can be found here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=468781

6. Pnutmaster

Pnutmaster Chieftain

Hey Sven, any chance of releasing a non-G&K version of your delightful map? I gave conversion a try, but all that resulted was a map where Civilizations started with 0 Science :lol:

7. animalguy

animalguy Ermahgerd

Great map Sven but I have have one tiny probem with the map, it disappered from my mods selection and it wont let me re install it! Any advice as to how I can remedy this as I really do love this map

8. SvenJJ

SvenJJ Chieftain

Good news everybody. With a little help from eazyseeker I managed to get the custom city states working! Also I've added some marshlands here and there including (thank you gunnergoz) the Pinsk Marshes. The issue with the wheat on Sicily should also now be resolved.

You can find v1.4 on the front page as usual. Keep those suggestions coming in!

Now to what you guys have said:

It's next on my list, I promise! ;)

Well step one, try version 1.4 on the main page. If that doesn't work then tell me how you've been installing it, manually or on the Steam Workshop and we'll go from there.

Thanks! :D I think it's getting better and better with all the feedback and suggestions I keep receiving.

Now, some things I'd like to hear your opinions about...

I had a suggestion on my workshop page on Steam to expand the map a teeny bit northwards to include the connection between Sweden and Finland. Now this would give more land to Russia (Damn you Russia! :gripe:), but I can see their point. So I was wondering if you think map expansions in any direction are warranted/would add value to the game/would like to be seen.

The other thing would be regarding City States. Now that I know how to add custom ones all I want I'm really keen to hear how you think they are balance-wise as they stand. My main sticking point at the moment is that I don't know if there are too many in an already crowded Europe. Also, there are quite a few open areas to the right of the map, potential for States there?

And discuss... :mischief:

9. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

I think a little (but not too much) expansion in the northeast direction is a good idea, not only to connect Sweden with Finland, but also to enable passage behind the Caspian Sea.

City State placement looks good, I like that their number is equal to the number of major civs, a 1:1 ratio is best IMO.

A little thing I noticed: the Reef model requires it to be on 2 adjacent hexes; you put it on one hex, and because of that it's not displayed properly in the game.

10. animalguy

animalguy Ermahgerd

Okay finally got the map working :). I think the Ottomans should be moved further away from constantinople because the byzantines are surrounded from Greece, The huns and The Ottomans who just seem to suffocate the byzantines from the very begining of the game. Perhaps moving them closer to lebanon would help with this problem?

I also agree that there should be a land connection between sweeden and the rest of Europe, but if you are conserned that this wil; give Russia more land then perhaps add in more city states in eastern Europe to leverage this out.

Overall a great map, but a bit more balencing is needed so that some civs dont get stuck in an involantry OCC eg. Netherlands, Austria, Denmark, Byzantium* and the huns*.

* Generally only one of these civs will become crippled because if one expands then the other becomes surrounded.

11. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

I know you have a thing about Russia, but to be fair, much of Russia's modern wealth and industry comes from the lands up to and including the Urals. So we don't need the map to go all the way to Siberia (!) but we should be giving the Russians an incentive to expand Eastward into the Urals and not simply force them Westward so much. Historically, Russia spent much more time and energy expanding Eastward, than Westward. It does not have to be a lot and can be compressed a bit rather than showing actual distances: even a few (8-12) extra rows Eastward would help give Russia some incentive to stretch out to the East and not put so much (unrealistic) pressure on its Western neighbors.

If the goal is instead to FORCE Russia to be a Westward-expanding force, then we should provide it with Ukrainian, Lithuanian and Polish civilizations to deal with, since they are the logical ones that stood in the way of Russia's expansion in that direction.

12. animalguy

animalguy Ermahgerd

I have noticed a few problems with the starting locations. In a reccently played game Spain began right next to the rock of Gibraltar and England somehow began in modern day Yemen/Oman. I looked at the map in the world builder and there is no set start position for both the spanish and english civs so that may be something you want to adress.

Also I experimented with moving the ottomans into Syria, sort of like the Into the Renissance scenario and byzantium was actually able to expande into Turkey. This start also did not cripple the ottomans and they managed to get alot of cities up which was a good sign!

13. labrynianrebel

labrynianrebel Warlord

Thanks for making the map bigger, now this will probably be my favorite "not the whole earth" map!

14. Echoluken

Echoluken Chieftain

hey sven love you map but one question the marathon options doesn't work on it. I have pressed the option in set up game but everytime i load and press the esc key. I get an quick game. I've tried deactivating every other mod to see if it's a compatibility problem but i get the same results. So I am wondering if it's always like this

thx for your time

15. SvenJJ

SvenJJ Chieftain

Hi guys!

First of all, to resolve the starting location problems, remember that you need to click on the Load Scenario button and have the required DLC/Expansion.

Echoluken, in order to change the game speed to Marathon, you'll need to go into the World Builder, open the map and then edit the game speed in 'Scenario Editor'.

Update

So! Sorry for the lack of communication with you guys, I've been in the process of moving house and have only just got settled in. I'm kind of wondering what direction to take the map in next. From my playtesting things seem a lot better with the barbarians now and only Babylon and Byzantium seem to really need buffing somewhat so that can be fixed fairly easily. But the question remains as to where I should go from here. So I'll pass the buck onto you lot and hear some suggestions! Let's hear them! :D

Someone mentioned before about further expansion of the map to include northern Scandanavia. This would be possible but the map is about as large as it can get right now so it wouldn't be much or all of it. The other option is to shrink the existing map a little. Attached is an example of what might be doable with a map shrink of 80% and then expanding to the map's current size. Bear in mind that this is a very rough outline and some features in Europe will look odd as they have not been corrected in the stretch.

Other options could include new civs, city states or anything you can imagine.

Let's hear it! :)

SvenJJ

Attached Files:

16. animalguy

animalguy Ermahgerd

Looks great Sven. I would prefer the smaller version but thats just me and my struggling computer! With this perhaps the indians could be included, but right now I think adding some competition to Ethiopia could be a good idea so they don't get out of control. How do you plan to control Russia, Mongols and Persia with all this new land available to them?

17. SvenJJ

SvenJJ Chieftain

I've moved further along with idea and am already making quite a bit of progress with it. I have introduced another Civilization to Africa to compete with Ethiopia as that seems the logical way to do it. I've also removed some Civs in Europe that would struggle with the smaller amount of space available to them (eg. Celts and Netherlands). I've also moved some starting locations around a bit too.

I've played with the XML somewhat and have edited the Natural Wonders somewhat for balance and 'Eurasianization' (eg Turning the Fountain of Youth into the Al-Hasa Oasis and Mt Fuji into Mont Blanc).

In order to balance the Russians, Mongols and Persians I will use a combination of poor yield tiles (Tundra, Snow, Desert etc) and impassable Mountains to limit their expansion somewhat. It will naturally need play testing to balance but I think it will work out fine.

I'm planning on running this alongside the original map as I believe both have their merits. The original map will be further balanced and updated too as well as this expanded one.

Finally, I'm thinking that I might do something a bit quirky with this expanded one. I want it to be a kind of fun 'what if' scenario type map which I'm calling 'To the Indies!'. The premise of this is that Christopher Columbus was right and you can sail west across the Atlantic and sail directly to India! With world-wrap enabled, England is perfectly placed to expand off its small island start to the Indian mainland as well as other western Civs. Still playing with the idea and it will need play testing but what do you think?

Comments/suggestions are both encouraged and welcome!

Oh... And here is a screenshot of the new map so far:

Attached Files:

18. animalguy

animalguy Ermahgerd

Looks great. I like the idea of revmoving some civs in europe, but I was wondering if there was a chance that you coukd make it so that say if the english are chosen then it removes the celts, and if the celts are selected then it removes england. If niether are selcted then it becomes random choice.

The idea of making the world warp is also a great idea so far, but getting england to expand could be quite a challage so it really wil depend. Keep up the good work

19. Richi333

Richi333 Chieftain

Hello
    I really like your mod, I`ve played your map without mods, just vanilla with the unofficial mod, works fine.
    But now I`ve tried it with, hulfgars Industrial warfare mod, added by hand the additional resources, and i can see the timber but i can`t bild a lumbermill on the resource timber?
    Any Ideas? Is your map not compatible with that mod?
    Thanks for yout reply.

20. SvenJJ

SvenJJ Chieftain

Hi Richi, thanks for getting in touch. I'm not sure exactly what the precise problem is with the incompatibility. The only thing that is actually changed in this version of the game is the names of the City States. My guess is that if there is a conflict, that's where it is arising.