T34/76 finished!

Smoking mirror

Ships Captain
Here it is just in time for the new Patch
I am going to be busy 2morrow and day after so this was my last chance to get it done on time.
The zip is in two parts, create a file in CivIII/art?units called T34 stick all the stuff from both zips in to the file (exept the units32.pcx, which replaces the Units32 in your Art file).
Ther units32 includes a small t34 and a churchill/crocodile (watch this space for the croc, it is only in Beta testing at the moment, no animations, only a eight direction staic default.flc)
The sounds are all there, just add a new unit to a scenario (there is another thread explaining how to do that so go look somewere else for it, I had to):p

So, part one forward the forces of the glorious revolution

And part two Onward towards our goal of victory against the decadant, western capitalists

In version 2.0 watch out for;
An exploding death
Russian gunner popping the hach to check out the scenery before fortification
And a 360 turn on the spot victory dance, (just like in robot wars!) :lol:

Part two; (remember to download both zips)

I download both .zip files, but there don't seem to be any .pcx files, just .wav and FLC files. Beautiful unit none the less.

A preview of the attack animation.

Attachments

• t34attackb_sw.gif
    t34attackb_sw.gif
    39.3 KB · Views: 3,172
maybe its the angle, but shouldn't the gun barrel be a little longer? which model is this? T-34/76A?

why does it jump back when it shoots? heh.

oops, looks like I accidentaly filed my units32.pcx in the bin, (cant get it back and don't have a copy. had to reinstallciv III ) :(
Will paste it with my next update, the crocodile.
The barrel should probably be a little longer, but I wanted some way to show this one to be different from the 43/85 (85mm cannon) which has a bigger gun, the only other major visible difference was a change of hatch setup.

;) this is only my first Civ III unit and yes I had occasional trouble with lining up the images. it is not realy visible when using the unit in the game. Check out womoks new 3D created units, the little white squares would help with alignment, but when making this unit and rendering all the animations I didnt get around to it.
If you want a units32 image you could save the preview image from the top of this thread and reduce it in size by around 60% or so and then past it in to the PCX, fill the white with background colour other wise it would look silly.

why not ditch the early model T-34 for the T-34/85?

and is that a blue star on that T-34!? :eek:

Its O.K that is a Civ coloured star on the T34 just so it can be used in your regular games (if for example you want to use it as representing a international unit) I am going to use it as an alternative to the standard tank, with one movement point but with all terrain as roads and slightly higher deffence value and lower attack. It will represent an all terrain tank, good for quick movement in areas without roads (the T34 had wider tracks than most of the german tanks giving it the edge in russia, one of the reasons it was able to beat the panzers), and reliable in all conditions.

actualy I nearly did give up on this and move on to the 34/85, but this one was already half done and I thought I might as well finish it and post it here.
Look out for the 85mm version soon though with improved animations and a change of colour scheme.
Also chances are it will have some russian "guards" infantry units sitting on top, as I have just finished the 3d model for them.

Although saying that I am getting an itching to make a
:king: tiger II
Unfortunately for everyone concerned, making the 3D models is more fun than making the unit animation. My 3D program dosn't suport animation so I have to pose the unit, set lighting, render the image (at a large scale cos it automaticaly adds Anti ailiasing which blurs the edge of the model making it very time consuming to put in the pink backgrond on a small rendering. When a big image is resampled to around 10% the blured area is only 1 pixel wide and can be cut away easily) all this is very time consuming and boring though very rewarding when you finish it.

Originally posted by Smoking mirror
actualy I nearly did give up on this and move on to the 34/85, but this one was already half done and I thought I might as well finish it and post it here.
Look out for the 85mm version soon though with improved animations and a change of colour scheme.
Also chances are it will have some russian "guards" infantry units sitting on top, as I have just finished the 3d model for them.

Although saying that I am getting an itching to make a
:king: tiger II

coolio :D

looking forward to your future creations...

I hope the Tiger II is this good!

I haven't got a good refernce for the Tiger II yet but I have finished the modifications to the T34/85. I wanted it to be recognisably different to the 34/76 so I have stuck a gunner on top;

Smoking Mirror,

Have you released version 2.0 of the T-34/76 with the exploding death flc yet? I wouldn't want to miss that!

I am redoing my T34 project, here is a preview of the new models, they are a T34/76 alpha (1941 production), T34/85 and a SU100 assault gun;

Attachments

• selection.gif
    selection.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,613
looks amazing smoking mirror! cant wait for these units!

Wow. Talk about getting more than you bargained for! All I was looking for was a T-34 that exploded!

Those certainly are far better models than your original T-34/76. It seems you keep raising the bar as far as the quality of your units goes. I'm very impressed! It looks like you've got a lot of projects in the works...

I'll second the "Wow" SM. Those are beautiful. One tiny suggestion, the barrel on the T-34/85 could be a tad longer. From the preview, it does't appear to be any longer than the barrel on the T-34/76.

Thanks, these were acutaly quite early previews, Iv'e moved the design on a bit (for one making the t34/76 barrel shorter and the t34/85 longer) after testing them as default flics (making a default flic takes about half an hour, its the attack and death flics that take the time to make).

I will make these units some time soon, they will also be part of a unit creation tutorial.

I will also have to research what people want from the t34 project as I intend to make it the generic Eastern bloc industrial era tank unit- would people prefer a late production 34/76 or an early production, the later models were more recognisable but I wanted to emphasise the diference between the 76mm model and the 85mm tank. Also what would be the prefered comoflage patern? I think that if firaxis includes a T34 in its WWII units pack (which it almost certainly will) from existing colour scemes it will either be brown or grey coloured perhaps green/brown or green/grey.

Top Bottom