TAM BTS v0.70 Released!

What technologies are you guys / the AI researching at the time of the crash?

I suspect it is one from the imperial age.

I have an infinite "waiting fo other civilizations..." phase between turns instead of the crash but I assume it is the same bug. I''ll try to help you out on this issue.

In my case Military Training at turn of realization,
both Hiram(Normal) turn 319 at year 398 AD
and Vercingÿtorix(Epic)turn 507 at year 417 AD,

fr.reg. Hans

Jouda, that's what it is. It's not a CTD because the game never crashes, it just engages in an infinite loop and you're forced to shut down the game manually.

Hans, thanks for your report. This is all the same bug that has to do with the Imperial Age. We're working on finding the cause and fixing it, but with no CTD and thus no dump to analyze, it's very difficult.

In the meantime, it would be appreciated if you guys helped us with polishing issues ... missing text entries, benefits that should be improved/nerfed, new things to add or take away, etc. While this bug may stop us at the Imperial Age, everything before that is still available to criticism and thus subject to improvement!

Do some religions spread faster and further then others?

Yes. The later in the tech tree the faster the religion spread. Some of these differences aren't much ... one religion spread may be 40 and the next religion might be 45 and the next religion 55.

Keep in mind that with each religion present in a city it becomes increasingly hard for another to spread naturally. If you have 1 religion in a city, the second religion will have a 50% less chance to spread, and the 3rd will have a 33% less chance to spread, etc.

We may need to slightly adjust these values to make it a little easier for the 3rd religion to spread, but back in those days not many cities had multiple religions in them. Maybe 2 or 3, but not beyond that.

I seem to have hit the infinite loop problem much earlier. Its 300BC in the Classic age. I as Gaul have just finished researching Horse Riding. Rome has just finished Boat Building. Other civs have Boat Building but Gaul may be the first to research Horse Riding. Unfortunately, I only have enough spy points to see what 3 other civs are researching. I reloaded and switched away from Horse Riding and it still went into the loop.

In the meantime, it would be appreciated if you guys helped us with polishing issues ... missing text entries, benefits that should be improved/nerfed, new things to add or take away, etc. While this bug may stop us at the Imperial Age, everything before that is still available to criticism and thus subject to improvement!
- I noticed the cereal mill graphic on some cities when viewing from outside (normal map view), like a religion inside the city, while when you enter the city i couldn't notice anything related to this (even after capturing the city).
- still a lot of lesser siege engines used by the ia (ram...). I felt there was less than before, but still "too much".
Example : a stack with 2 axemen with 5 siege engines attacking a quite well defended city. Nonsense.

With Smithies every unit is updated in weapons every turn and every time it goes into a city with a smith.
Not a problem, but is a bit silly.

Another issue is the defence bonuses don't seem to be very significant. A single ram can clear out most AI defences in 1 or 2 hits.
I think the siege weapons damge should be reduced, and leave it so it is still possible to storm the walls.

I'll check the techs being researched.

It is bridge building.

I checked it, by changing my research to soemthing else and my turn completed no crash.

Press Ctrl+Z in-game to allow yourself to see the whole map, what every faction is researching, and even to peer inside cities to check their production.

Thanks a ton for making this! I remember playing it on Vanilla Civ 4, while there's some things that need polished on this version, it's certainly a big step forwards.

Looking forward to the 1.0 release.

TAM BTS v0.73 Now Available!

The oversized buildings have been remedied so that they're not so huge (you won't see that monstrous henge anymore). A few of the buildings still aren't quite to scale, but at least the game is playable.

The GameFont files have been updated, so that now religious icons, corporation icons, and all other icons will display properly.

Some more unique buildings have been added, and a few civilopedia entries have been completed. The following changes have been made to Siege Units:
-Ram has -5% city bombard
---Assyrian Ram has -10% city bombard
-Catapult has 50% withdrawal and a -15% city bombard
---Roman Siege has 60% withdrawal and -20% city bombard, plus free Accuracy promotion
-Fire Catapult has 50% withdrawal, +50% City Attack, causes more collateral damage, but cannot bombard city defenses
-Sapper has -8% city bombard, no longer invisible

Additionally, an infinite loop bug which would stop the game in its tracks has been singled out and fixed. The game would go into an infinite loop whenever a sapper got stuck in the same tile as an enemy unit. Now that the sapper is visible, it will just die, and that infinite loop won't happen.

The Imperial Age infinite loop still occurs, however. It is very difficult to identify exactly what is causing it, and thus hard to track down. We are working hard to eliminate, though, and hopefully will do so in the coming versions.

Enjoy this bugfix release and give us your ideas on how to improve TAM.

See the 2nd post of the thread for the latest download link.

Shqype, what about moving all the Imperial Age technologies to the preceding era (not sure of its name - clasiccal?)? That bug is definitely tied with the Imperial Age technologies, sometimes causing CTD, sometimes the loop. It's not just Bridge Building, I've had the same with Divine Right.

I've noticed one more minor bug. When in the Imperial Age, all the roads switch to modern asphalt roads which looks a bit awckward :)

I've got more suggestions and minor bugs to report but none of them is a show-stopper. I'll write down a list and post them here later.

Thanks for your effort again! TAM rocks :egypt:

Edit: wow, my 100th post! Let me celebrate! :beer:

Great idea as a temporary fix, I never thought of that.

But ideally we'd like to not be restricted to the Classical Era. There is something that's wrong with the Imperial Age, and we'd like to fix it.

I'll check into making those changes and report my findings.

I've noticed that after researching an imperial age tech (well, after adding it in the worldbuilder) there are no technologies visible in the tech advisor screen. Hope this can help a bit.

Fantastic :) Nice to see progress is being made on the boring stuff (bug hunting). I'm not sure if you're aware already, but one of the civs (I didn't note which one in my last game) in 0.70 had no city names. Not one of Rome's neighbours, I only noticed it late game.

Edit : A small question. The title music... I recognise it, but I can't remember what film it's from...

I believe they said "Last of the Mohicans"...

TAM BTS v0.73 Now Available!

The oversized buildings have been remedied so that they're not so huge (you won't see that monstrous henge anymore). A few of the buildings still aren't quite to scale, but at least the game is playable.

The GameFont files have been updated, so that now religious icons, corporation icons, and all other icons will display properly.

Some more unique buildings have been added, and a few civilopedia entries have been completed. The following changes have been made to Siege Units:
-Ram has -5% city bombard
---Assyrian Ram has -10% city bombard
-Catapult has 50% withdrawal and a -15% city bombard
---Roman Siege has 60% withdrawal and -20% city bombard, plus free Accuracy promotion
-Fire Catapult has 50% withdrawal, +50% City Attack, causes more collateral damage, but cannot bombard city defenses
-Sapper has -8% city bombard, no longer invisible

Additionally, an infinite loop bug which would stop the game in its tracks has been singled out and fixed. The game would go into an infinite loop whenever a sapper got stuck in the same tile as an enemy unit. Now that the sapper is visible, it will just die, and that infinite loop won't happen.

The Imperial Age infinite loop still occurs, however. It is very difficult to identify exactly what is causing it, and thus hard to track down. We are working hard to eliminate, though, and hopefully will do so in the coming versions.

Enjoy this bugfix release and give us your ideas on how to improve TAM.

Thanks for fixing the Henge. I know people sya it is 'easy' to modify the files, but I'm really not into that. I'll try the mod again!

Best wishes,

Breunor

I know you all think every user here is computer literate, but ....

Do we create a new folder for this, and delete TAM 0.70, or do we download it into our TAM fiolder which now has the 0.70 files?

Best wishes,

Breunor

Either should work. Delete the TAM folder from (assuming you have it at the default location) C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\

Your game will crash when you research any Imperial age technology though.

---

I've just played a nearly complete game. I'm afraid I did rather too well, and as a result it got a bit boring. There's 100 turns left, and I've now got the job of conquering the map.

I played as Rome, and used the terrain to create an impenetrable defences to the nw and ne of Italy, as I assume everybody would do. I did intend to turtle up in there, and come out with a pack of highly trained troops, and conquer all. However, by the time I'm ready to do that.... it's going to be a walkover.

There's a few things that have caused this.

First off... Churches and Cathedrals are providing piles of cash. Way too much. It seems as if Churches, Cathedrals and The Nativity all give me 20 gold per turn per city.

Diplomacy and trade are non existant. I'm so far ahead on tech, and my economy is so out of whack I can give anything away, but even with that, and even with other christian nations trade just won't happen. Dido and Hammuburai are the only ones who will trade with me, and even then it's only small things. I think it's just the case that some nations have their thresholds set too high for resource trading. I can, and I like open borders and maps and tech being tough, but resource trading seems a bit weak.

Some units are a bit off... here's some thoughts.

Collateral damage from a horse archer that with 5/5 experience has a 90% withdrawal chance is pretty sick. When an enemy stack turns up, all I need to do is throw a few catapults at it (which stand a high chance of escaping), if I have any, and then follow with mounted troops. Before you know it, the enemy stack is whacked.

Archery units are very weak, until the bowman. I think this is intentional since they don't require resources... if that's right then it's fair enough. However, the first two could maybe use a little touch.

Sappers are now crap. A national unit, you can only have 1 of them, and they're no better than any of the other units. Perhaps they're now outdated and have been replaced by spies, and can get removed? Or perhaps they could cause a low amount of collateral damage, but get a 100% withdrawal. Or perhaps they could not be thrown out of enemy territory, and get their invisibility back, that way you could get a head start when you declare war on someone, and have your siege unit already there.

Armoured javelin throwers don't have an upgrade path, the spearmen seemed to suit my needs better, however it was javelins that I got from drafting.

I like the idea of siege engines, allowing troops on the offence to heal up. However, the AI does seem to over favour them. I think it thinks they're catapults - but they can't attack a city to cause damage.

There were 3 times that I nearly got my defences broken. The first time they got broken but the reinforcements retook the city. The 2nd and 3rd time I was drafting 3 per turn to get troops desperately to my NE border city.. I was quite impressed with the AI being able to wage war effectively.

Christianity spreads pretty well, I got it earlier than normal, and it's showing at 31%, which means it's in the majority of cities. All the other religions are at 10-15%, with animal the lowest. Religions appear to be working well.

I modified the technologies XML in order to play, I just changed every Imperial age tech to a classical age tech. No crashes.

Top Bottom