Team FREE Builds Twice

CommandoBob

AbstractArt
Great Library

Deep in the bowels of the Great Library of Sugar Mountain, a middle-aged man searched old texts and manuscripts as he chased down ancient ideas that might be able to reuse in his day and time. He was in an older portion of the Great Library, known to the locals simply as Down There. Very few came to this area; the mustiness caused by rotting parchment and rumors of unfriendly ancient spirits were enough to keep away the mildly curious. Only those who had a driving need came to these bookshelves, magazine racks and card catalogues.

So deep was his concentration that he did not notice anything else; day and night had long since ceased to have any meaning this far beneath the earth. Food and drink he had brought with him and he was upwind of the nearest latrine. Lights, both those suspended from the ceiling and carried in his hand and stacks upon stacks of long forgotten writings were his only interest these days.

So he completely missed the change of possession of the Great Library. And no one told the new owners about him, either.

Several months after the change, the new owners began to hear noises from the further reaches of the complex. Food began to disappear from the central storage area (which supplied all the vending machines on the various levels), but no crumbs or droppings were ever found. Coffee pots turned off in the evening were found full of coffee the next morning, fresh and hot, with signs of a coffee debauchery on the floor next to the unit: opened packets of sugar, creamer and the multi-colored remains of various artificial sweeteners, mixed in with warm coffee grounds.

These were the only signs that something was amiss. No one ever saw the personage responsible for the events. No one was ever harmed or even mildly frightened. In time it became an institutional joke that only the night workers took seriously, even going so far as to leave powdered donuts and cinnamon rolls from the vending machines next to fresh pots of coffee that they brewed far from where they worked. They suspected that their workmates actually consumed their offerings, but they were never quite sure.

Eventually, the Director of the Great Library took matters into his own hands. With much fanfare he announced his intention to search all of Down There for whatever was lurking in its depths. He asked for volunteers but there were none. The new stewards of The Great Library were insistent that he have an armed guard but he refused their request, arguing that one life was enough to risk. He also pointed out that grues, which were known to live in the area, were very fond of the colour purple. So he went in alone, armed with a stave, a lamp, a pocket knife and a large ball of thread.

This is his story.

Sorta.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

‘Robinton, you old scoundrel. Are you ready to leave this burg, you and Zair?’

‘Been waiting for you go give the word, Robert. Everything is packed and ready to go. Do you want to examine the set scene? I can’t wait to get home and have some decent red wine for a change. That black wine just reminded me of klah.’

‘Black wine is the local specialty, especially when it is heated.Oh yeah. How far away is it?’

‘Right over here. Look,’ said Robinton, raising his lamp high.

The area where they stood was next a crime scene. Drops of blood were splattered on the walls and bookshelves. A large blood smear was on the floor and evidence that a body had been dragged down one of the hallways. Carefully Robert emptied the oil from his lamp into a storage container, leaving only a thin layer of oil on the bottom. He then set the lamp down near the largest blood stain. He took off his shoes and replaced them with boots from Robinton. The shoes were relaced and placed near the smoldering lamp.

‘Now to me it looks like someone was suddenly attacked and killed in the dark and their body taken away. What do you think, Robinton?’

‘Well, some will disagree, since they will never find a body, but the evidence is pretty overwhelming. I mean, why would the Director of The Great Library go to such lengths to falsify his own death? You don’t have any life insurance, do you?’

‘Nope, no life insurance. This is sure to give the conspiracy nuts a new topic of conversation for the next few years.’

‘I wonder what stories they will come up with. Will they tell the tale that we have set before them? Will they suspect that the mysterious Masterharper Robinton of Pern dwelt here for many years, studying the ancient masters?’

‘Do you think anyone will figure out that The Director of the Great Library was really an agent of Team Free, working his way up through the ranks, to obtain access to untold secrets?’

‘Nayh, not a chance,’ said Robert, laughing.

‘So, where is Zair?’

‘Zair is outside, waiting for us. She really doesn’t like this place. She gives me images of nasty things down here in the dark.’

‘Grues,’ said Robert. ‘Yuck. Let’s leave while we can. Which way do we go?’

‘This way,’ said Robinton. ‘It’s about five miles to the meeting place, once we leave this facility. We’ve got a long walk ahead of us.’

‘Onward, then, friend, onward, and let us not waste time.’

The body was discovered in the early morning by Blondie. He felt for a pulse in the neck and found it and then called to his partner.

‘Hey, I could use your help.’

Callahan came over but did not offer to help.

‘It could be a trick, you know,’ he said instead, his eyes looking over the landscape.

‘Yeah, it could be but I don’t think so. You know this face?’

Callahan stared at the body. ‘Nope.’

‘You should. He hired you.’

‘What?’

Blondie stooped over and picked up the body, carrying it across his shoulders. He wasn’t able to stand up straight, however.

‘Why do you pick up these bags and things and let’s get him inside. I think he will be okay. If we hurry.’

While Callahan collected the bags and bundles that had surrounded the body, Blondie carried the body inside and set it down in a chair just inside the doorway. As he placed the body he heard a rustling inside the clothes of the man. He spotted a piece of paper between the layers of clothing. He pulled it out, opened it, and gave it to Callahan, who had just arrived.

‘Can’t read?’ asked Callahan.

‘No.’

‘Hmm. The note says, ‘Dear Robert, When Jaxom and Ruth arrived from between they were too close to us. Ruth’s left wing accidently hit you and knocked you down and you hit your head on a rock. We tried to wake you but could not. Dawn was near so we tied you to Ruth and brought you and your luggage here. Hope you feel better. Robinton.’

‘Between?’ asked Blondie.

‘That’s what the note says. Between,’ replied Callahan.

The two stared at each other. Then Callahan walked over to the guard booth phone and dialed some numbers.

‘This is Callahan at the East Entrance…Callahan. Harry Callahan…Yes, that Harry Callahan…Listen…Huh? Well, yeah, I was, until Governor Terminator didn’t renew my appointment…No, I wasn’t fired…Lady…Yes, I’m still carrying…Chuck who?...Oh, Chuck E. Baby? He’s gone; gone off into presidential politics; I don’t know where he is…Look, look, I need to talk to Kuningas…What do you mean he’s not available? Where is he?...Over at Kaza, finishing the what??…well, how about someone else…I don’t care who; Empiremaker, Elephantium, Pinman; get Ginger_Ale or Rik Meleet himself if you have to…You can’t find any of them either… Well, who can you find? Him? Is that it? Okay, leave him a message. Tell him to meet me at the Infirmary.’

Blondie was looking out the door, but was not out of earshot.

‘Nobody home?’ he asked.

‘Everyone’s in Kazgungudom watching the Theory of Evolution being completed. The only one left in town is Poindexter, and he is fixing to go there too. If he gets the message in time he might meet us at the Infirmary. If we’re lucky.’

Blondie allowed himself a quiet smile as he said, ‘”In all this excitement…you gotta ask yourself a question: ’Do I feel lucky?’ ” ‘

Callahan, still holding the bags from outside, stayed with the body as it was loaded onto a gurney and then wheeled down to the Infirmary. He didn’t flinch when they stuck an IV into an arm, but left the room when they removed the shoes and socks to check for spinal damage. The stench was overpowering and made his eyes water.

The doctors were professional and crisp, with little joking around. They took samples, drew blood, called for X-Rays, MRIs, CAT scans and bunches of other test known only by their acronyms. After a furious first few minutes their pace slowed down and one of them approached Callahan.

‘They tell me you found him, no?’ asked the doctor. His name, according to the name tag, was Ali Ibn Rabban. The one Callahan called Poindexter.

‘No,’ replied Callahan, ‘but my partner did, right after sunrise, just over a small hill near the East Entrance.’

‘No signs of struggle?’

‘None. Is he going to be allright?’

‘Probably. It appears he is suffering from a mild concussion, though his white blood count is low also, indicating fatigue or infection, we don’t know which. He should be okay once he wakes up, but he will have a severe headache when he does. Bah, we can treat that. So, yes, to answer your question, he will be allright.’

‘Who is he?’

‘We think he might be Robert Duckworth.’

‘Duckworth? What’s a Duckworth?’

The doctor paused, and Callahan knew he had asked the wrong question.

‘About $100 a pair for the rare breeders, such as Butterscotch colored Mallards.’

Silence.

‘Well, you asked! And I own a duck farm, so there!’

Callahan grimaced.

‘Okay, so who is this Robert Duckworth then? Some two bit drug lord?’

‘No, we think he is better known as CommandoBob.’

‘Him? It just doesn’t seem possible.’

‘We’re waiting on a DNA test right now to confirm his identity. But as you know, CB has been gone a long time and a lot of people have forgotten about him. There was a rumor years ago that he was seen swimming out to a Saber ship. Another rumor was that he was abducted by winged space aliens.’

‘Yeah, and it could be he just took a vacation, too, but that won’t make headlines.’

‘Probably not, but at any rate, we won’t be sure of his identity for several hours yet. He will shortly be in ICU and he will stay there until he wakes up and then we can see who he says he is. We’ll have some hospital guards standing duty outside his door to keep trouble away.’

‘Well, I can save you some trouble. I can stay with him and then your boys in blue can help old ladies across the street and not advertise the fact that we’ve got some potential big shot in here. You see, having two uniforms stand outside a door just about guarantees some nut-case or smart aleck will see a chance to get his name in the paper, and try to pull some stupid stunt, like unhooking a catheter line and we don’t want that, do we?’

‘Uh, no we don’t. But allow me to send in a pot of coffee for you, Officer – ‘

‘Callahan. Harry Callahan.’

‘Well, Officer Callahan, let me take you to the ICU room you’ll be in for the next few hours,’ said Rabban, taking Callahan in tow and keeping up a steady stream of pseudo-medical mumbo-jumbo. It may have been brilliance revealed, but Callahan wasn’t a medical man and the allusions and illustrations just made him glassy-eyed. Once he got to the room he pulled the curtains, set down the bags he was still carrying, turned down the lights and picked up the local newspaper that someone had left in the room. He pulled out his weapon, the beloved Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum revolver, with his right hand and sat down in a chair, the revolver covered by the newspaper. In less than a minute he was sound asleep.

He awoke briefly when they wheeled in the man Callahan thought of as a suspect. The attendants did their thing and left and Callahan feel back to sleep. He awoke later to hear voices talking.

‘So you found out there is a connection between life and electricity?’ asked one voice.

‘Well, there appears to be a causal connection of the two, but we don’t know if life causes electricity or electricity causes life. The relationship is there, but much work remains to be done to determine the exact nature of that relationship. All my notes are in my bags, ah, yes, in that bag you are holding. If you can read my notes, that is. My penmanship is horrid. ’

‘Would a lot of electricity help?’ the first voice inquired. As he focused in, Callahan saw that this voice belonged to a young person in the standard white lab coat of a doctor. He was talking to his ‘suspect’.

‘It would take a lot of electricity to do even the smallest amount of research. More than all we produce in 20 or 30 years. In theory it could be done, but in practice I don’t see how.’

‘I’ve got an engineering friend that has been toying with ways to mass produce electricity. If the government would fund him…’

‘Not a chance. Look how long it took to complete that boondoogle in Kazgungudom, that Theory of Evolution. Something like what you’re talking about is the work of two or three dedicated, really dedicated people, not a bunch of office drones pushing around little scraps of colored paper.’

‘Well, you may be right. I don’t think so, not yet anyway, so I’ll try what I can to prove my point.’

‘Sounds like a good plan, Victor. I wish you luck.’

‘Thank you, sir. I hope I’m lucky, too. I’ll close the door carefully so that I don’t waken Sleeping Beauty over there. Thanks.’ And he left, stepping silently and softly closing the door.

‘And who was that supposed to be?’ growled Callahan as he stood up and holstered his revolver. ‘Prince Charming?’

‘No, that was Victor, uh, Frank-el? Or was it Frank-em? Maybe Frank-en? Anyway, Victor Frank-something-in-line; I didn’t really understand his name. He said he was good friends with Ali Ibn Rabban, the director of this facility, who is himself first rate doctor and a world class scientific genius. I do recall hearing Ali mention Victor a couple of times, too. But in person he seemed a little wacko. I hope he is not too friendly with Rabban. That could be bad for everything Rabban has worked for.’

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A short time later, near the city of Kazgungudom, in the inner recess of his family estate, Victor and Ali made ready the last steps of their great experiment. Victor’s friend, Hoover, had been able to drain almost all of Victor’s money into a massive concrete edifice that dammed up a mighty river and generated gazillon units of electricity. This has been done very quickly, but the structure was strong and solid and not far away. The first place the electricity went was to Victor’s house.

‘Ready, Doctor?’ asked Victor.

‘Ready,’ replied Ali.

‘Goggles on.’

‘Goggle on.’

‘On three, then’ said Victor. ‘One, two, three!’

Both men pulled down massive knife switches that in turn powered the heavy equipment in the room. Dials lit up, turbines spun and the smell of hot metal filled the air. The noise was stunning and deafening. The floors and walls shook slightly.

‘Five seconds to go,’ yelled Victor over the din of the machinery. ‘Four, three, two, one.’

This time the men pushed up the massive knife switches and slowly the room returned to normal.

Nervously, hoping for the best and yet fearing it, the young doctor walked over to the large slab that contained the subject of their experiment. He took out his stethoscope and listened intently. He thought he heard it, but he waited for the sound to be repeated. And it was. And again, and yet again, louder and stronger each time.

He turned to face Ali, his eyes wide with happiness.

‘It’s alive. It’s alive. I tell you it’s alive!’

:lol: That was great.

I'm still a little lost... but perhaps that was the point? :crazyeye:

Well done, all the same :clap:

Tour Guide Bob said:
I am your dam guide, please don't wander off the dam tour and please take all the dam pictures you want. Now are there any dam questions?

How much is the tour?

:D nice story. Took me foreign speaker some time to get through - and I surely will never understand all references to movies, previous MTDG and SGotm spoilers (?) and all the other related stuff. :rolleyes:
But still funny to read. :thumbsup:

:D nice story. Took me foreign speaker some time to get through - and I surely will never understand all references to movies, previous MTDG and SGotm spoilers (?) and all the other related stuff. :rolleyes:
But still funny to read. :thumbsup:
Robinton is a major character in the Dragonriders of Pern series of books by Anne McCaffrey. Jaxom, Ruth and Zair are also characters in that series.

Blondie and Harry Callahan are two characters played by Clint Eastwood in two different sets of movies.

Blondie
Blondie, better known as the Man With No Name, makes his first appearance in For a Fistful of Dollars (1964), followed by For a Few Dolllars More (1965). In The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) he is called Blondie by another character, but it is clear that Blondie is not his real name.

Harry Callahan
Eastwood starred in the 1971 movie Dirty Harry, where he portrayed a no-nonsense police detective in the San Francisco Police Department.

Eastwood got into politics, serving as mayor of a California city (I forget which one). Recently, the governor of California, former actor Arnold Schwarzenegger (Terminator), did not renew Eastwoods appointment to California's State Parks Commission.

Ali Ibn Rabban is an SGL we got.

Poindexter is a term now applied to people who are overly nerdy, geeky, or bookish. (Wikipedia)

Victor Frankenstein is a fictional character, the protagonist of the 1818 novel Frankenstein, written by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (also Wikipedia). Boris Karloff played the creature created by the doctor in the 1931 movie Frankenstein.

Thanks. I knew the Clint Eastwood stuff, but it's always tough / impossible to understand the quotes that are related to original language in movies as I know most of them in German. At least the names are not changed and Blondie is also a common term in Germany :)

Nevertheless thanks for drafting such a story. :goodjob:

Top Bottom