Tech Limit?

duxup

Prince
I am wondering if it is possible to limit how far you and the computer can advance technologically?

I’d like to get some good large scale battles during a time period other than the later eras.

I’ve tried to do so with the scenario editor, but had some insane results. I’ll build my first city and I find I’m able to build units and things of techs I specifically deleted.

You can go into the editor and delete techs (sounds like you already did this). If you want a specific time frame for your mod you need to go into scenario properties and change the start date which is normally defaulted to 4000 BC. Make sure that whenever you change something in the editor to apply the changes and then also save the editor befor exiting. I have changed things and applied and then not saved and wondered why it didn't work. Does that help?

Thanks, that does tell me I'm doing it the right way.

I dont understand why when I delete the techs save and start a game, after I build my first city, I actually am able to build the units, and wonders assocated with the techs I chose to delete.
Very Odd.

Did you create a scenario or did you edit your default bix file?
Are you using CIV III regular or Play the World?
Are you patched to at least 1.29?

If you created a scenario then you would need to load the scenario (I'm sure you know that but it is an easy mistake to make)

Once I wanted an ancient war, so I just made all newer units unavailable to all civs. Just pick the units in the editor, and click on Barbarian Chiefdom on the who gets it column. Worked fine for me. Not sure what to do for Wonders though.

Just set the later techs as era_none and they are out along with their units, improvements and other modern stuff. And just to make it look professional, connect "future tech" to the end of the medieval techs so your civs have something to research when they have ran out of the medieval techs.

However, if you _really_ want to have something to fill your weekends with :), have you considered creating a "detailed period" mod?

You could, for example, change the names of the four eras of the game to "Bronze Age", "Iron Age", "Medieval Age", and "Renaissance" and then have lots of early type techs with lots of new appropriate ancient and medieval units and improvements to fill the gaps between the standard ones.

But this is now slipping towards the topics of the "Creation And Customization" forum, though...

Top Bottom