Term 6 Culture ~ The United Nations Wonder

Cyc

Looking for the door...
As it appears our nation wants to secure a Diplomatic Victory, we must discuss the building of the Great Wonder - United Nations. The completion of the United Nations will spark international elections for the seat of Chairman. If Japanatica builds the United Nations Wonder, then we get to control the timing of these elections. It looks like we should be able to complete this Wonder easily.

As a nation, we need to discuss the when and where of constructing this project.Do we have a city already picked for its location? How can we best determine the start time for the project?

As far as location goes, there are only a handful the Ministry of Culture would suggest. First, and this is the one the MoC recommends, is Zojoji. :D Zojoji is currently producing 117 unwasted shields and can build the 1000 shield Wonder in 9 turns. Zojoji is also seeking to improve it's Culture point standing in an attempt to capture first place on the "5 Best Cities" list.

The other two suggestions are Shorin-Ryu and Odawara. They produce 74 and 58 unwasted shields respectively. Why are they suggested? Because the MoC sees these two cities as contenders for the above mentioned "5 Best Cities" list. Both are less than 300 Culture points behind Fanatikku and could possibly make the list by games end. Their build times are 14 turns and 18 turns, respectively.

As far as timing the start of the project, we really shouldn't start until we know the research time of Fission. We could guess, I suppose but the UN and the Palace are both 1000 shield costs, so there is no room for over-building. Right now, we're looking at researching Flight in 4 and Radio in 6, but Radio could be a 4 turn research easily. Does anyone have a guess about Fission? Are we going to be doing deficit research? 90% Science should cover us.

So there you have it. What are your thoughts?

Put it in Shorin-Ryu. I'm guessing 6-8 turns for Fission.

So, we should start building it at the end of this turnchat.

(BTW, Babylon could be our bargaining chip if they're still around to get everyone allied with us for the UN vote. That's how UN victories are usually won in other games).

put it in the magnificent city of Zojoji!
we can get it done about 6-7 turns faster than Shorin-Ryu

Even if we don't want a diplomatic victory and want to go for histograph, we still need to build the UN ourselves so that we control whether or not we hold a vote.

I would be happy to place it in either Shorin-Ryu or Odawara to try and get one of these cities in the top 5, but at the cost of keeping Zojoji off the top spot? I think for our nation as a whole having the top city in the world would be better than getting another in the list as 5th best. Can we find out what the culture in the Aztec capitol is? Perhaps spend some of our vast hoardes of gold and investigate the city to find out? Perhaps even do the same with Shanghai, then we will know if we can get Zojoji to the top or Shorin-Ryu or Odawara to top 5 before we make the decision.

It depends on if we are going for a diplomatic win or not. If we are then building the UN is not really going to change the Top 5 cities list during the partial turn it is built before we hold the election.

I don't think that total Culture is the only thing that makes up the top 5 list. Doesn't the number of Happy Citizens and total number of Citizens come into play? Can we pump in several workers to Zojoji to push it into the top spot?

If we are not going for Diplomatic victory, then are their any border cities (Yatta, Salamanca?) that could benefit from having the additional culture push? These are also productive cities that could build the UN within a reasonable timeframe.

You are correct Furiey. We need to control the vote either way. Good point. As far as nailing the top spot City-wise, I'm not sure there is a way to calculate what is needed. If anyone knows it would probably be MOTH.

And good points MOTH. I'm thinking the extra Wonder might push us over the top in what ever formula is needed. Culture points are the lion's share, population and Wonders are key also. I believe you may be right about Happy Citizens, but if you've got the Culture and the right Wonders, that point is hard to prove, ... of course your citizens are happy. ;)

We're 7 turns away from being able to build the UN. Zojoji can perform a palace prebuild in 8 turns.

At the moment, the turns stoped at the time we start researching fission. We wont discover that tech for another 7 turns. I wish to strongly urge everyone to finalize the location for the UN wonder to be built before the next turnchat.

Right now the possible locations are as follow since the start of the discussion:
Zojoji (This is recomended by our Culture Minister Cyc)
Shorin-Ryu
Odawara

I see nothing wrong with building the UN in Zojoji. Throughout the game, Zojoji has shown itself to be a city at the forefront of culture and progress in our world. It is only fitting that it be the seat from which we accept the right to rule over all other nations.

Looks good to me. :D Thanks to all who contributed.

I'll put up a poll for the build location of The United Nations Wonder using the 3 suggested cities in a bit. The Ministry of Culture will suggest to the Governor of Zarnia, Octavian X that we start the pre-build at the completion of the next unit in Zojoji (unless Zojoji loses). We will also suggest to the Domestic Minister, Noldodan that we do not change the Science slider from its current rate, at least until the completion of the UN Wonder.

Top Bottom