TerrainBuilding, Resized Roads & Rails

Midnight Piper

The Final Tyrant
I've never been happy with the default mines. I used the 'soft mines' for a while, but finally decided to treat mines as a generic term for 'industry' and developed a small 'community' tile, including a range of building and a couple small soft mines. The whole set is pretty small compared to most - seemed fit Sn00pys cities better and distract less.

Also included alternate fortresses and barricades using kinboats trenches for industrial. Not sure where the pieces for the modern age came from.

Attachments

• TerrainBuildings.gif
    TerrainBuildings.gif
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,987
Download here:

Edit: Updated 8/28/04 after 106 downloads

Attachments

• TerrainBuildings.pcx
    39.2 KB · Views: 445
In-game sample of the 'mines'

Attachments

• Mining Clutter.jpg
    Mining Clutter.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 1,961
Once I made those, I wanted a resized version of Pounder's roads & rails. Here's the sample:

Attachments

• Road-Rail Resize.jpg
    Road-Rail Resize.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 2,783
And the road & rail downloads:

Attachments

• roads.pcx
    263.8 KB · Views: 345
  • railroads.pcx
    353.5 KB · Views: 315
I will make use of the mines--I had avoided those "community" type mines to this point, but your argument that mines should be treated more as industry won me over. :p

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I'm still eyeing the early fortresses - may incorporate one of those nice castles being discusses in another thread right now...

i like everything except for those railroads. it looks really wierd, it doesn't fit the terrain very well and looks staged and 2d. could u maybe make the rail roads curve alittle so it looks like it's adapting to the terrain it's on? other than that, your work is beuatiful.

The roads & rails aren't mine - I just resized the buildings. Those rails have been straightened by Pounder for those of us who dislike the 'rounded' rails of Civ III. Might be able to adapt Pounder's buildings to a 'standard' Civ III rail if I get some extra time...

hi!very good your ides.i agree with u that the original mines are not so good.the same goes for fortresses as well,and the conversion is very good!may i propose something?can u make the mines change according the era?for example,for industrial era,the mines would appear like the"dericks".

I would love to - had even hoped to achieve something like that when I started. Unfortunately, the game does not allow for era-specific mines. When searching for mines, it looks in only one place, row two column three of this terranbuilding.pcx image, and uses what it finds there for mines of all eras - an odd oversite, when we can see right here that the designers allowed for both fortifications and outposts to benefit from multiple era images.

A minor bit of detailing - reduced the size of that corner structure that was creating a repetitive visual pattern.

Weasel Op said:
it seems cluttered when there are mines all over the place.

It sure does; too bad I can't add black smoke to make the developing clutter of urbanization and industry even more obvious... but we make do. An example of what he's talking about (and a new screenshot for this update) in post #3.

To replace the default graphics, look in your game directory and find the art\terrain folder (its location depends on which version of the game you are playing):

Civilization III - \Civilization III\Art\Terrain
Civilization III Play the World - \Civilization III\Civ3PTW\Art\Terrain
Civilization III Conquests - \Civilization III\Conquests\Art\Terrain

If there is a version of these graphics in that folder (a .pcx file with an identical name), make a copy of it for backup (in case you ever want to go back to the old graphics). Once that's done, just copy these new pcx files into that folder.

I think it works fine for the Modern Age. All those clusters of houses in the desert is kind of reminiscent of Southern California. ;) By the way, is that a Stadium by the railroad in one of your screenshots?

Ogedei_the_Mad said:
is that a Stadium by the railroad in one of your screenshots?

Yes it is. You can thank/blame Pounder for that feature - his railroads. They're my favourite railroad mod though, so I resized 'em to fit with my mines.

Top Bottom