1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TerrainBuilding, Resized Roads & Rails

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Graphics Modpacks' started by Midnight Piper, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Midnight Piper

Midnight Piper The Final Tyrant

I've never been happy with the default mines. I used the 'soft mines' for a while, but finally decided to treat mines as a generic term for 'industry' and developed a small 'community' tile, including a range of building and a couple small soft mines. The whole set is pretty small compared to most - seemed fit Sn00pys cities better and distract less.

Also included alternate fortresses and barricades using kinboats trenches for industrial. Not sure where the pieces for the modern age came from.

Attached Files:

2. Midnight Piper

Download here:

Edit: Updated 8/28/04 after 106 downloads

Attached Files:

3. Midnight Piper

In-game sample of the 'mines'

Attached Files:

4. Midnight Piper

Once I made those, I wanted a resized version of Pounder's roads & rails. Here's the sample:

Attached Files:

5. Midnight Piper

And the road & rail downloads:

Attached Files:

6. W.i.n.t.e.r

W.i.n.t.e.r Frozen!

7. Pounder

Pounder Phaethon was here

8. Yaype

Yaype Me

I will make use of the mines--I had avoided those "community" type mines to this point, but your argument that mines should be treated more as industry won me over. :p

9. Midnight Piper

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I'm still eyeing the early fortresses - may incorporate one of those nice castles being discusses in another thread right now...

10. general_kill

general_kill Deity

i like everything except for those railroads. it looks really wierd, it doesn't fit the terrain very well and looks staged and 2d. could u maybe make the rail roads curve alittle so it looks like it's adapting to the terrain it's on? other than that, your work is beuatiful.

11. Midnight Piper

The roads & rails aren't mine - I just resized the buildings. Those rails have been straightened by Pounder for those of us who dislike the 'rounded' rails of Civ III. Might be able to adapt Pounder's buildings to a 'standard' Civ III rail if I get some extra time...

12. aracuan

aracuan Chieftain

hi!very good your ides.i agree with u that the original mines are not so good.the same goes for fortresses as well,and the conversion is very good!may i propose something?can u make the mines change according the era?for example,for industrial era,the mines would appear like the"dericks".

13. Midnight Piper

I would love to - had even hoped to achieve something like that when I started. Unfortunately, the game does not allow for era-specific mines. When searching for mines, it looks in only one place, row two column three of this terranbuilding.pcx image, and uses what it finds there for mines of all eras - an odd oversite, when we can see right here that the designers allowed for both fortifications and outposts to benefit from multiple era images.

14. WildWeazel

WildWeazel -- Turns to Completion

The buildings look great, I especially like the fortifications. :goodjob: I don't prefer the community mines though, just because it seems cluttered when there are mines all over the place.

15. Midnight Piper

A minor bit of detailing - reduced the size of that corner structure that was creating a repetitive visual pattern.

It sure does; too bad I can't add black smoke to make the developing clutter of urbanization and industry even more obvious... but we make do. An example of what he's talking about (and a new screenshot for this update) in post #3.

16. lordlekidos

lordlekidos Chieftain

I do not understand how to insert the inages. Tell me please.

17. Midnight Piper

To replace the default graphics, look in your game directory and find the art\terrain folder (its location depends on which version of the game you are playing):

Civilization III - \Civilization III\Art\Terrain
    Civilization III Play the World - \Civilization III\Civ3PTW\Art\Terrain
    Civilization III Conquests - \Civilization III\Conquests\Art\Terrain

If there is a version of these graphics in that folder (a .pcx file with an identical name), make a copy of it for backup (in case you ever want to go back to the old graphics). Once that's done, just copy these new pcx files into that folder.

18. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

I think it works fine for the Modern Age. All those clusters of houses in the desert is kind of reminiscent of Southern California. ;) By the way, is that a Stadium by the railroad in one of your screenshots?

19. Midnight Piper

Yes it is. You can thank/blame Pounder for that feature - his railroads. They're my favourite railroad mod though, so I resized 'em to fit with my mines.

20. hIdDeN_eViL

hIdDeN_eViL {кοтоя дѕѕαѕѕїй}²

great job. :goodjob:
    the stadiums a bit too much though