Thank you Firaxis for my airborne gods!

TrailblazingScot

I was kittenOFchaos
Want to land at the end of a turn, right behind the lines...follow up with a fighter strafe and take cities? Or maybe you just want to land and pillage towns to villages like a right devil.

Then you too want paratroopers!!!

From the later stages of a multiplayer ladder ironman game. Sirpartyman replacing DrShot (Blue) and TheMightyBoosh (Purple).

No doubt if the enemy has air superiority to strafe these chaps then they won't be as good, and tanks will surely ruin their day (though I could slap on ambush). But to come down and burn towns, to block and better to cut roads instantly, these guys are a brilliant addition which I have been asking for, for ages. It was just nice to have them finish off this game as a contest really.

Thank you Firaxis for my airborne gods, though I'd like a slightly greater range :mischief:

As an airborne god, I will speak for Firaxis in saying you're welcome.

Regarding range: "18 hours, anywhere in the world, fight on arrival". Firaxis needs to get with reality.

Carry on, and

- Kill 'em all. Let god sort 'em out.

Well, you can use airports to fly them across the map, then do your drop.

So, 2 turns to alot of places...

yeah to bad 2 turns is like 4 years, lol. i love the troopers too. can you say island hopping. i wish i knew how to use them beter though.

As an airborne god, I will speak for Firaxis in saying you're welcome.

Regarding range: "18 hours, anywhere in the world, fight on arrival". Firaxis needs to get with reality.

Carry on, and

- Kill 'em all. Let god sort 'em out.

I think it's more a matter of balance than not getting their facts straight. Be grateful instead that they have introduced non-wimpy paratroopers for once :)

The one thing I don't like is that when you select them to be airdropped it doesn't show the range like it would if you were performing an airstrike.

The airdrop animation is awesome.

The one thing I don't like is that when you select them to be airdropped it doesn't show the range like it would if you were performing an airstrike.

The airdrop animation is awesome.

It marks it with a green cursor IF you scouted the terrain you're going to land in. Got to put a balloon or fighter or spy to scout the tile you want to land in.

It marks it with a green cursor IF you scouted the terrain you're going to land in. Got to put a balloon or fighter or spy to scout the tile you want to land in.

Yeah I know the cursor turns green when you have a valid paradrop square selected, but having the range marked out like in aircraft would be quite useful.

I am still on my first game of BTS since I am running a marathon as usual. I wanted to check out the new paratroopers and the animation is awsome as previously noted. I loved dropping about 9 troopers at once and bringing in tanks to help take out a city on the next turn after the drop. That is a nice tactic I continue to implement in my current war. Paratroopers were utterly useless in CivIII IMHO. They always died too easily. Now, with their current strength and promotions, they are formidable. The range 5 is reasonable but, I would like it to be 7. At least they get to move 1 after the drop. If they can move, they should also be able to attack the same turn but, maybe at a reduced strength.
Charlemagne has attacked me for the last time(3 times already) in my current game. I finally went all out and made him capitulate. He is on the other continent and war was getting burdensome with both war weariness and monetarily.

Can interceptor aircraft protect you from paratroopers in BTS? Is there some other kill them in the air defense?

Paratroopers are friggin awesome! They are very effective when used in conjunction with some aircraft to soften up the enemy defenses and infrastructure while your tanks are rolling to the scene. By the time I would normally just be getting to the city my paratroopers have cut the road access, captured a heap of workers and killed off the enemy reinforcements that were en route to the city.

It almost feels like there are legitimate strategy options in BtS with all the unit variation.

I love their animation too!

Top Bottom