That worthless King back home in Europe

arkham4269

Court Writer - Orbis Mod
Recently I was playing a game and got lulled into a sense of false security and then suddenly, the Portuguese decided to whale on some Indians that I had a defensive pact with. Not only did it seem that the much smaller Portuguese colonies seem to have done nothing but crank out military units, I couldn't get them to back off from fighting me even after I had managed to defeat lots of their units.

What gets me about this is I was playing England and if in 'real history' Portugal had suddenly attacked Indians friendly to England and tried to sack say Charleston, back in Merry Olde England there would be hell to pay!

My point is that I realize Colonization isn't as much as a historical simulation as say Europa Universalis, but it's odd that the European Kings love the money we give them to kiss their ring but won't send out that Expeditionary Force to help out in time of war!

Plus, it was the cost of defending the colonies through 3 wars that ended up making the Brits want to make us colonists start paying more in taxes to help defray the cost of sending all those Redcoats and fleets to protect us. I mean what are we paying taxes for in Col2 if we never get help from the Motherland?

Plus, unlike Sid Meiers Pirates!, it seems that European nations never go to war with each other. There needs to be some mechanism where the European nations go to war with each other and then the colonies will act aggressively or not depending on their strength. I mean just because France is at war with England doesn't bind me to go out and whale on the French in the New World if I don't really have the troops to spare.

Which goes back to another gripe I have. Historically the European Kings helped the colonists by sending out troops to help ward off attacks from the locals. In Col2, the natives are meek as sheep and easily killed. This is not historical nor is it much fun game wise. The Indians where much nastier in Col1.

Well, for one, you can request soldiers from Europe, but you have to pay money. If you click on "King of England" or whoever, where the civilizations are listed, you can ask him for military support. My Spanish strategy was to do this to get a small army quickly.

Europeans declaring war on each other is possible to mod in, probably via random events, but no one has ever done it yet. I might consider doing it... maybe when I have some spare time I'll work on this.

Well, for one, you can request soldiers from Europe, but you have to pay money. If you click on "King of England" or whoever, where the civilizations are listed, you can ask him for military support. My Spanish strategy was to do this to get a small army quickly.

My point is that the King has all these troops in the Expeditionary Force and you should have some sort of option of asking for help. Then you'd probably have to accept a tax increase and a hit in independence points but what good are all those troops the King has because he's worried about his colonies breaking away if they get captured by a rival?

In Sid Meier's Colonization (original), a player whose cargo ships were repeatedly sunk or damaged by enemy privateers, and who did not already have any warships, would sometimes receive the free gift of a frigate, representing the Royal Navy. I don't know if the same mechanic was ported to C4C. It'd be interesting for somebody to code that in - along with some arrangement for cargo transfer in the event of successful attack by a privateer.

In Sid Meier's Colonization (original), a player whose cargo ships were repeatedly sunk or damaged by enemy privateers, and who did not already have any warships, would sometimes receive the free gift of a frigate, representing the Royal Navy. I don't know if the same mechanic was ported to C4C. It'd be interesting for somebody to code that in - along with some arrangement for cargo transfer in the event of successful attack by a privateer.

"Cargo transfer"? You mean cargo going to a privateer after the privateer sinks the cargo ship? Well, this already happens.

If you're interested in the "naval" aspect of the game (and pirate units), I suggest you check out Kailric's Pirates and Privateers Mod.

"Cargo transfer"? You mean cargo going to a privateer after the privateer sinks the cargo ship? Well, this already happens.

If you're interested in the "naval" aspect of the game (and pirate units), I suggest you check out Kailric's Pirates and Privateers Mod.

Also he's working on another 'Diplomacy Mod' where there is more varied interaction with your king. I recall people talking about modding in euro wars etc, but unaware of whether kailric on anyone else has taken this aspect up yet.

I think by "cargo transfer" he meant a peaceful surrendering of goods, without the ship getting sunk.

Common practice back then for ordinary pirates who weren't out to actually cripple a nation's economy.

Top Bottom