The 5 best/worst civs for a new Civ player to start with?

Ruthless4u

Chieftain
As it's been ages since I played Civ,( civ 2 ) what are the likely best and worst civs to start with for inexperienced players?

Yeah it's impossible to give a complete list when we don't know the specifics of all the civs.

That said, from the ones we do know I'd say Egypt, Germany and America look like good picks for new players.

Egypt: Gets you to think about terrain (which is important in civ6) in a basic way: "build on rivers, build faster", you get very profitable trade routes and it should be easy to make friends with the AI, you have a solid UU early to help you out, and the Sphinx to play around with generating other yields (faith and culture).

America: The bonus combat on your home continent should help you in keeping you safe, and the government legacy bonus does feel a bit like training wheels, it should help out a new player get the grasp of the system, it looks very balanced to try the game with.

Germany: The early districts and free military card should be helpfull for new player to get the grasp of both systems. And also, new players are most likely going to try to kick a CS butt, the combat bonus may be useful so it doesn't backfire.

China looks like the obvious beginner Civ to me: Early game bonuses, Science-oriented (and still the only civ in the entire game to be science-oriented), has a quirky tile improvement.

Japan is the obvious beginner civ for fans of the francise imo. With districts and district placement being new, important feature, they're THE best civ to test that mechanic.

England and The Aztecs appear to be better picks for skilled players. A beginner would never, ever go to war early like an Aztec player would and should, while England's bonuses are ALL in the endgame; it would be a harsh learning curve for a newb.

Too early to tell, I think. There's only 11 announced civs so far and we don't have all info on some.

China looks like the obvious beginner Civ to me: Early game bonuses, Science-oriented (and still the only civ in the entire game to be science-oriented), has a quirky tile improvement.

Japan is the obvious beginner civ for fans of the francise imo. With districts and district placement being new, important feature, they're THE best civ to test that mechanic.

England and The Aztecs appear to be better picks for skilled players. A beginner would never, ever go to war early like an Aztec player would and should, while England's bonuses are ALL in the endgame; it would be a harsh learning curve for a newb.

I thought about mentioning Japan, but I was thinking that a complete newb could be a bit overwhelmed about thinking on palcement of districts to get the best adjacency bonus (and may not even take advantage of it), Egypt is straightforward, build on the river.

Good points on England, I'd also recommend not using anyone that rellies on diferent continents as a starter civ, "continent" is not an obvious thing in civ6 and a newb may think he could not use a certain bonus because it's not a diferent landmass, when we know he could. America is easy in that regard, as your home continent is going to be your surrounding area anyway, no matter what you do, you'll get that bonus.

Now that I think about it, France may also be newb friendly, you get bonuses to mid game wonders, and the flying squadron system may be a bit obvious for an experienced player: "of course Monty is going to attack me duh", but for a new player it may be the warning heads up they need to prepare for the innevitable Monty attack.

I think Japan is one of the worst for the beginners actually. I'd try to figure out some logic in district placement with some more generic civ first, and only then try to master Japan puzzle :D

America seems like an obvious choice to me.

Whatever civ is part of the tutorial?

We agree on something :lol: Good to see.

It's way to early to say which one I think, the 2 so far that have jumped out at me have been Spain and Japan. Japan because I'm interested in seeing just how helpful their bonuses are and Spain because I love playing the religious game.

America always seems like a beginner Civ to me. They never really have any crazy bonuses that require higher level strategy. Same theme seems to follow in Civ VI, pretty generic bonuses that don't require a lot of action on the part of the player to enhance

Top Bottom