The actual effect of 'Reduces Corruption'?

mlar

Chieftain
I tried to look it up in the Editor and with search in the Forum, but I was unable to find the explicit effect of 'Reduces Corruption'.

In the Editor for both the Courthouse and Police Station improvement, it states that they Reduce Corruption. I would like to know what this means in terms of the amount of waste and gold loss they reduce. Is this a percentage? Or can anyone give me the formula the game uses to calculate the reduction?

Yeah,it does reduce it in a certain percentage,have neither found where you can look this up,so first for some speculation;
Ppl have also talked about corruption being reduced in modern times,I´ve never witnessed this,as for "reducing corruption",take a look one turn before it´s completed,and compare the results, think it was 1/4 of basic production(aka no bonuses included!) which returns to general commerce. Well it´s way too little anyway,so have added the tag to religous and educational buildings.

Ok then... I will try to keep track of what happens and I'll post it for you as well, just to get some more information from which we can perhaps conclude the effect. Anybody else who has this kind of information at hand, please share!!!

as far as I can tell, from looking at a city before I build a courthouse and after, the courthouse does absolutely nothing. I actually changed the game so that practically every building reduces corruption, but it only has any effect near the capitol. Any far flung cities will be useless the entire game no matter what you do, from what I've learned, and I've played a lot. Prove me wrong if you can.

The only way to run a large empire is by switching to communism. In communism, all cities have an equal and manageable amount of corruption, instead of those that are far away being useless.

Edit WAY down the costs of the Palace and Forbidden Palace.

Move the former to a central location and the FP to where needed. It'll help/

I ran a few tests before any of the patches came out, so this data might not be valid anymore. I think they increased the corruption modifier for courthouses in 1.16f.

Deity, Commercial Civ, Edited terrain for more accurate %'s
All cities were tested 1 at a time, only other city is the capitol

Tiles from capitol, Corrupted Commerce (w/o courthouse, w/ courthouse, all out of 175 total Commerce)

1 tile, 35/175, 26/175
2, 37, 26
3, 41, 28
4, 43, 30
5, 47, 32
6, 49, 32
7, 53, 34
8, 55, 36
9, 59, 38
12, 174, 105

Courthouses don't reduce the corruption due to number of cities. Once the optimal number of cities has been reached for the map, all other cities will be totally corrupt.

Communism is probably the worst form of government for very large empires. Too many cities and even your "best" cities will have almost no production. Usually switching to Monarchy in times of war will result in about same amount of overall production/commerce for some empires, and in many cases better overall numbers. And at least your core cities will still be productive.

Aeson has the right of it. I was playing a game with a huge map, and I had about 100 cities, so I tried communism to get rid of the corruption. When I switched, my economy went from +5 to -450 dollars with the switch. Suddenly even my best cities only had a few resources and trade. Communism equally distributes corruption. That means if 90 cities are corrupt and 10 are not, every city becomes 90% corrupt. Worst government ever!

In addition to the courthouse and police station, there is also a lot of talk about WLTK helping against corruption. Of course I was unable to find the details of this feature. I checked the editor and only found that you need pop 6 for it to occur, but none of the other prerequisites or the benefits of WLTK. Anyone can help me out here as well?

Originally posted by mlar
In addition to the courthouse and police station, there is also a lot of talk about WLTK helping against corruption. Of course I was unable to find the details of this feature. I checked the editor and only found that you need pop 6 for it to occur, but none of the other prerequisites or the benefits of WLTK. Anyone can help me out here as well?
At least half of your pop happy and noone unhappy.

As i have read, courthouses have an effect that increases over time. So when u build it the first turn, it does little or nothing, but over time it reduces the corruption. I haven't tested it though...

That would be interesting! Could this also be that the cities are growing in time and and simply producing more shield of which a percentage is not wasted, thus increasing the effective production? Hopefully not, because I'd definitely like to see some decrease in my corruption...

Top Bottom