The Alliance of American Football

topsecret

Believer
Supporter
AAF Website said:
Led by some of the most respected football minds in the game, The Alliance of American Football is high-quality professional football fueled by a dynamic Alliance between players, fans and the game. Fans will be able to stream Alliance matchups live via the free Alliance app while accessing integrated fantasy options with real rewards — for themselves and the players they are cheering on. Players will have state-of-the-art protection on the field and ample opportunities off it. The Alliance will provide players a comprehensive bonus system, post-football career planning as well as counseling and scholarship support for postsecondary education. Founded by TV and film producer Charlie Ebersol and Hall of Famer Bill Polian, The Alliance features eight teams, under a single entity structure, playing a 12-week season kicking-off February 9, 2019 on CBS and culminating with the championship game the weekend of April 26-28, 2019.

A new professional football league is coming to the US in Spring - the Alliance of American Football. The AAF will have eight teams (owned by the league), free live streaming via app, cheap tickets (starting at $15), airtime on CBS, and fantasy in-app.

Spoiler Cities with teams :
AFMAP2.png

I'm pretty excited for the season to start and see if a professional-style football league can survive in the spring. This thread is for comment, criticism, and general discussion. I will be posting any relevant news here as I will be following the league, at least for the first season.

The website has like, zero information about the league structure, and the video doesn't either. How, if at all, will this league address the common problems raised about the NFL, namely:

1) chronic and unavoidable health problems caused as a direct result of playing the game
2) lack of clarity regarding game rules and rules enforcement (what even is a catch anymore; dumb overtime rules; inconsistent/unclear rules regarding roughing the passer)
3) lack of accountability in treatment and punishment of bad actors, both with owners and players
4) exploitative relationship between ownership, fanbase, and city of residence (stadium deal extortion schemes, teams can and do abandon their fanbase whenever they want)
5) weak union and the consequences therefrom (lack of guaranteed contracts, lack of guaranteed pensions, owner collusion and blatant player blackballing, existence of a salary cap, existence of the amateur draft, existence of the franchise tag)
6) incestuous relationship with college athletics

If the only allure of the league is that it's streamed for free online, and that it provides football when the NFL is in the offseason, those aren't really compelling reasons to watch.

The website has like, zero information about the league structure, and the video doesn't either. How, if at all, will this league address the common problems raised about the NFL, namely:

1) chronic and unavoidable health problems caused as a direct result of playing the game
2) lack of clarity regarding game rules and rules enforcement (what even is a catch anymore; dumb overtime rules; inconsistent/unclear rules regarding roughing the passer)
3) lack of accountability in treatment and punishment of bad actors, both with owners and players
4) exploitative relationship between ownership, fanbase, and city of residence (stadium deal extortion schemes, teams can and do abandon their fanbase whenever they want)
5) weak union and the consequences therefrom (lack of guaranteed contracts, lack of guaranteed pensions, owner collusion and blatant player blackballing, existence of a salary cap, existence of the amateur draft, existence of the franchise tag)
6) incestuous relationship with college athletics

If the only allure of the league is that it's streamed for free online, and that it provides football when the NFL is in the offseason, those aren't really compelling reasons to watch.
I definitely agree that the above issues need to be addressed. From the things I have read and watched, it appears AAF will do a better job than the NFL at player relations and team relations. Not sure, but "intentions" seem good. Let's hope so.

(2) drives me crazy as well. "Roughing the passer" seems extremely arbitrary.

I think (4) should not be a major issue the next couple of years. The league owns all the teams, and they really need to establish a fan base to survive. All other non-NFL professional leagues have failed. Their only hope is treating teams, players, and fans right.

Here's some videos and articles if you are interested in learning more about it.

Videos:
Spoiler :

I found a video from when they launched it. It's long (49 minutes), but if you are really interested in how they will run things and how players will be involved, there is some information, especially at the end during the Q&A.
There's another long video with more questions/answers, but I haven't watched it yet.
Haven't been able to watch these yet either, but here's two interviews with one of the founders:

This article from Forbes lists some stuff about rules and one note about safety. I knew it all before, but I was trying to find it in an article.
Patrick Rishe said:
  • Telecasts will feature no television timeouts and 60 percent fewer commercials, with the league aiming for an approximate real-time game length of 150 minutes, down from just over 180 in the NFL.
  • All teams must attempt two-point conversions after each touchdown; there will be no extra point kicks.
  • There will be no kickoffs. Halves, overtime periods and after scores will begin on each team's own 25-yard line, the same as touchbacks in the NFL and NCAA. In lieu of an onside kick, a team can keep possession of the ball by attempting a scrimmage play from their own 35-yard line and gaining at least 10 yards. [This is for safety reasons. They mention that in the first video.]
  • The play clock will run only 30 seconds, 10 seconds shorter than in the NFL.
  • Two coach's challenges per team are the only replays; no challenges in last two minutes of either half nor any overtime period, as they are automatic.
  • Outside organizations will handle head-safety protocols.
Two more (sparse) articles here:

Im tempted to watch, as I would like it more than spring baseball, but the 'regional' team to cheer for being Memphis ....(yuck smilie)

Im tempted to watch, as I would like it more than spring baseball, but the 'regional' team to cheer for being Memphis ....(yuck smilie)
Pick a different team. ;) I am hoping they are very successful and add more teams in a few years.

I hope that since it’s less competitive than the nfl that I would get a chance to play.

They canceled the league, so apparently, I'll never get the chance. :(

Yeah, it died due to really bad investment choices. You can sign up for the XFL though. They are restarting this spring.

On a more serious note, I was wanting to get to watch this to pass the time until regular football season starts.

By “this spring” I assume you mean next spring, as this spring has already passed.

On a more serious note, I was wanting to get to watch this to pass the time until regular football season starts.

By “this spring” I assume you mean next spring, as this spring has already passed.
Yep. Spring 2020.

Yeah, I really would like a spring football league to work for the same reason.

It will never succeed unless the Fantasy side of it takes off.

Apparently the XFL is coming back. Although, I no longer have my hopes up after it has already been let down.

Apparently the XFL is coming back. Although, I no longer have my hopes up after it has already been let down.

At least it has enough money to last a season. We'll see how it goes from there. They've learned their lessons from first attempt, but is that enough? Is there enough demand for the sport that a league of ~backup quality (for differing reasons depending on player) can generate some revenue, even if it's executed well?

At least it has enough money to last a season. We'll see how it goes from there.
Thankfully. I was super sad when AAF died. :cry:

They've learned their lessons from first attempt, but is that enough? Is there enough demand for the sport that a league of ~backup quality (for differing reasons depending on player) can generate some revenue, even if it's executed well?
Only one way to find out. :p

Top Bottom