The Beach Scenario

jguy100

Prince
Was recently looking through the scenarios that came pre-installed with the steam version, and found an interesting one named The Beach. A single narrow strip of land that spans east to west, with the rest of the map being water.

When I first loaded the scenario, I was a bit disappointed. The land was nothing but desert, with no resources, fresh water, or any other terrain types. But a few turns in I quickly got hooked - management of minimal resources was quite exciting.

The Netherlands (seafaring/agricultural) seem like the ideal civilization to take advantage of this map. My typical strategy is to beeline for Map Making (for harbors) then beeline for Chivalry (for Knight's Templar). It works well on lower level of difficulties. But on higher level of difficulties, I can't keep up with ancient age military production and end up getting stomped out. Seems to be a combination of luck/low aggressive settings in order to survive.

Has anyone else played this scenario?

I remember seeing this scenario and thinking it one of the, if not the strangest scenarios.

The Vikings with their Berserkers having amphibious assault might be another strong candidate. Though, they might have food issues, I don't know.

The Vikings with their Berserkers having amphibious assault might be another strong candidate. Though, they might have food issues, I don't know.
They can not build Berserkers, because there is no iron on the map (just sand... ). ;)

I had tried the map once and was "victorious" within the first turn. :undecide:

In my game are no cities in the desert allowed and the KI suicide by killing their settlers.

So I have really not played it, but I may give it a try in my secondary, unmodded Civ3. :blush:

They can not build Berserkers, because there is no iron on the map (just sand... ). ;)
Zerks don't need Iron.
I had tried the map once and was "victorious" within the first turn. :undecide:

In my game are no cities in the desert allowed and the KI suicide by killing their settlers.
That's hilarious! :lol:

I remember seeing this scenario and thinking it one of the, if not the strangest scenarios.

Vikings were my first thought too, but Berserkers are so expensive. Adding in the cost of ships to take advantage of amphibious assaults, and it just seems better to land invade neighbors instead.

I'm tempted to try Sumerians. Enkindu warriors might be cheap enough to mass and prevent early AI invasions.

Hmm.. but without fresh water, the agricultural trait isn't worth anything?

You'll either have your cities working one mined desert tile or two sea.

How can you even build a settler?

You get the extra food when no despotism penalty on the extra food applies. This is the case when you are not in despotism (or anarchy). It is also the case when you have freshwater or when you have reached city size.

Praktically speaking leaving despotism is what will matter.

Seafaring civs get extra commerce and thus extra research which helps in leaving desptism. The dutch are therefore the best choice.

How can you even build a settler?

You can build workers, join then to reach size 3 and then finish the settler. You need to have some food saved first, so practically speaking you need to build a granary for the food you get when growing to size 2.

Harbors are the easiest way to grow large enough for a settler. Dutch start with the alphabet which is an expensive step toward Map Making that they get for free.

You get the extra food when no despotism penalty on the extra food applies.

I think, he is talking about irrigating the desert for +2 food. On a desert map, this is the more important benefit of the agricultural trait. The +1 food in the city center can be neglected here...
But without fresh water, no irrigated desert... :(

I just discovered this one recently. I can't believe that I had C3C for more than a decade without trying out any of the pre-installed scenarios. I got attacked a lot, but eventually I was able to overpower the AI because the AI is the AI. It took them a long time to start building harbors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom